Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Heavyweight Boxing

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Angliru

I don't think Joshua has that killer instinct any more. As a young pro he was relentless and had bad intentions but since the Wlad fight he fights very cautiously, maybe smartly a better word and is calculated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

Against povetkin a dangerous fighter he had that killer instinct, he said himself he was not happy with Parker fight and he just wants to ko guys now.

Povetkin was once dangerous but he was old, off the horse-kicking juice and had come off from being wobbled and at times looking terrible against David Price. I was surprised Joshua got the stoppage like he did but even there he looked vulnerable for a while. I don't buy that at all, his style of fighting has changed...matured I guess and he's happier to box guys than to overload them with his physical attributes. In the long run I think it is a better strategy, but I don't think it'll be the best strategy against someone like Wilder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

He certainly would be foolish to go toe-toe with wilder but i feel wilder can be caught and if aj catches him he will have the instinct to finish, my humble opinion ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

It seems like a fairly even fight to me, which makes Wilder the better bet given that Joshua is heavily tipped by the bookies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭dougm1970

adam smith and macklin...criticising the ref for counting, then contradicting themselves talking about fury when he went down, saying it was last round with him, he was ok at 3....just bad commentary....ref was right to count.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,887 ✭✭✭selectamatic

He's KO'd every single fighter he has faced, I see no reason he won't do the same to AJ.

Wilder hasn't KO'd all his opponents. He didn't ko fury and he went the full 12 with stiverne too.
    AJ was wobbled by Whyte, Dropped by Vlad. I see Wilder finishing him very early. AJ wouldn't be evasive at all.

We've seen wilder wobbled by Eric Molina.
    Angliru wrote: »
    I don't think Joshua has that killer instinct any more. As a young pro he was relentless and had bad intentions but since the Wlad fight he fights very cautiously, maybe smartly a better word and is calculated.

The Povetkin finish showed killer instinct. 3 very clean precise shots landed before he hit the canvas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Wilder hasn't KO'd all his opponents. He didn't ko fury and he went the full 12 with stiverne too.

We've seen wilder wobbled by Eric Molina.

The Povetkin finish showed killer instinct. 3 very clean precise shots landed before he hit the canvas.

I said he KO'd every fighter. He KO'd stiverne in the rematch. He KO'd fury too but somehow he woke up for a 14 count

I said he KO'd every fighter. He KO'd stiverne in the rematch. He KO'd fury too but somehow he woke up for a 14 count

KD'd every fighter not KO'd

• Registered Users Posts: 5,282 ✭✭✭megadodge

????

I've heard of "having to KO them to get a draw" but... huh?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭squinn2912

megadodge wrote: »
    ????

I've heard of "having to KO them to get a draw" but... huh?

Bit of nonsense there. Fury beat the count and fair play to him.

Wilder on commentary was likened to Tyson and that’s a good comparison in ways. He’s unpredictable and exciting and has huge power. But I think aj will knock him out. He will stun him once and pounce on him. Fury beats him unanimously. Both have to be very careful for the haymakers but he’s too leaky. Emanuel Steward would’ve made him something else but he’s too erratic. Very entertaining though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭dougm1970

looking at the overhead camera on replays last night you could really see how long his stance is...a huge distance between front and back foot...and he can move with agility and great reflexes...and that power !!
    he'll be a huge gamble for joshua.. but joshua sounds like he really really wants the fight, not for financial gains, but to really prove hes best.
    i wouldnt know who to put my last euro on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

dougm1970 wrote: »
    looking at the overhead camera on replays last night you could really see how long his stance is...a huge distance between front and back foot...and he can move with agility and great reflexes...and that power !!
    he'll be a huge gamble for joshua.. but joshua sounds like he really really wants the fight, not for financial gains, but to really prove hes best.
    i wouldnt know who to put my last euro on.

Think a lot are under rating Joshua

He's a huge guy, a lot bigger man than Wilder, even though Wilder is slightly taller

6'6 250lbs, solid, clever

His size and weight alone will give Wilder big problems and he's a better boxer

Have always thought

Fury beats Joshua
    Joshua beats Wilder
    Wilder beats Fury

Wilder no doubt has the best one shot power of any heavy

No current heavy can take his shot's clean imo, not many in history can, except maybe Vitali, Holy ( roided to the gills )

On roids

How did Wilder gain 2 stone of muscle in 5 months?

Was the fight Vada tested?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Mike9832 wrote: »

He gained 11 lbs
    Yes, all WBC fights are Vada tested. As far as I know in their clean boxing programme it's year round random tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭The man in red and black

He's a huge guy, a lot bigger man than Wilder, even though Wilder is slightly taller

Have always thought

Fury beats Joshua
    Joshua beats Wilder
    Wilder beats Fury

No current heavy can take his shot's clean imo, not many in history can, except maybe Vitali, Holy ( roided to the gills )

On roids

I think Wilder was sick before his last fight? There was talk of him having a viral infection which was why he weighed in his lightest for some time unless I'm mistaken? Which might explain some of the gain/re-gain?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭normanoffside

I think Wilder was sick before his last fight? There was talk of him having a viral infection which was why he weighed in his lightest for some time unless I'm mistaken? Which might explain some of the gain/re-gain?

I think he lost weight on purpose to fight Ortiz.
    Hi normal weight for the past 4-5 years has been 220s. He was 229 vs Szpilka

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Fury is on Ariel Helwanis MMA show tomorrow around 6pm

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Who is Wilder supposed to be fighting next?

I know it should be AJ but Eddie Hearn will make sure that doesn't happen. Is it possible it might happen this year at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

Looks like people are finally coming round to giving wilder actual recognition , about time .most exciting heavyweight since Tyson

• Registered Users Posts: 12,420 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Who is Wilder supposed to be fighting next?

I know it should be AJ but Eddie Hearn will make sure that doesn't happen. Is it possible it might happen this year at all?

Fury or AJ "probably next year" according to Wilders manager. Doesn't seem to have a lot of time for Hearn.

• Advertisement

The Nal wrote: »
    Doesn't seem to have a lot of time for Hearn.

Probably because Hearn has steered AJ away from Wilder at least once in the last year.

I'm still not convinced by AJ at all. The only guy he's fought with any serious serious pedigree was Klitchko and that went 11 rounds and AJ got dropped. Even the fight against Dillian Whyte he was in trouble on a few occasions.

I think deep down Hearn knows the money trains stops with Wilder.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,506 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Have always thought

Fury beats Joshua
    Joshua beats Wilder
    Wilder beats Fury

On roids

Have to disagree ,

Wilder beats AJ all day,

AJ doesn't move his head, he gets hit a lot he takes one to give one ( see the Wlad fight) and against Wilder that means your getting dropped,

Fury moves his head the best in the division and that why Wilder will always have trouble with him,

Have to disagree ,

Wilder beats AJ all day,

AJ doesn't move his head, he gets hit a lot he takes one to give one ( see the Wlad fight) and against Wilder that means your getting dropped,

Fury moves his head the best in the division and that why Wilder will always have trouble with him,

In fairness to AJ though when (if) they do meet he'll be the most powerful boxer he's ever been matched with. Wilder that is. Closely followed by Luis Ortiz who tagged Wilder and came close to dropping.

I agree Wilder wins this though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,420 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Probably because Hearn has steered AJ away from Wilder at least once in the last year.

I'm still not convinced by AJ at all. The only guy he's fought with any serious serious pedigree was Klitchko and that went 11 rounds and AJ got dropped. Even the fight against Dillian Whyte he was in trouble on a few occasions.

I think deep down Hearn knows the money trains stops with Wilder.

You could be right yeah but AJ will lose any credibility if he doesn't fight Wilder and/or Fury in the next year. 3 undefeated heavyweights. All at their peak.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,506 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

In fairness to AJ though when (if) they do meet he'll be the most powerful boxer he's ever been matched with. Wilder that is. Closely followed by Luis Ortiz who tagged Wilder and came close to dropping.

I agree Wilder wins this though.

Ortiz is a cracking fighter and Wilder was properly ill for that fight and still ended up with the KO,

Wait and see AJ will fight Ortiz in a year or two wait till he is that bit older and then claim he fights everyone ,

Wait and see AJ will fight Ortiz in a year or two wait till he is that bit older and then claim he fights everyone ,

+1

Hence Hearnsy boy gladly accepting the Klitchko fight a few years ago.

Ortiz is a beast but he's 40 now and time is running out. Shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Aj wilder is incredibly difficult to call. For me aj wins. He doesn’t really take one to land one that’s much more wilder. Breazeale had him in a bit of bother and he’s terrible. He’s so slow. If aj gets him in trouble he’s gone.
    I’d be rooting for Wilder. Power of course is the huge thing too

squinn2912 wrote: »
    Aj wilder is incredibly difficult to call. For me aj wins. He doesn’t really take one to land one that’s much more wilder. Breazeale had him in a bit of bother and he’s terrible. He’s so slow. If aj gets him in trouble he’s gone.

Wilder has a decent chin on him though based on his fight against Ortiz. He got clobbered over and over again in the 7th round and how he remained on his feet i'll never know. Bell saved him in the end. He can get stunned alright but it seems it takes a lot to drop him. But yes if AJ catches him square its lights out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Breazeale said the ref stopped the fight too early, I think Wilder gave him brain damage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

ASOT wrote: »
    Breazeale said the ref stopped the fight too early, I think Wilder gave him brain damage.

mother of god thats a good one,

Advertisement