Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Can a child use an adult Leap Card

• 15-11-2017 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭

Just asking as I gave my daughter my leap card to use recently. When she arrived home she said that the driver, on Dublin Bus, told her she’s not supposed to use an adult leap card (she’s 14) and next time she could get a fine. Is this right? I couldn’t find anything on the leap card website about it?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 86 ✭✭dublinstevie

she can ask for a child fare at the drivers ticket machine with an adult leap card,think the driver talking rubbish

• Registered Users Posts: 22,223 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Driver was probably being nice to her, as she is a kid. You're not supposed to use anybody else's leap card, full stop.

https://about.leapcard.ie/about/card-ticket-types
    "your personalised Leap Card is unique to you. Only the person whose name & photo is printed on the card, can use it. If someone else uses your personalised Leap Card, they may be fined & have the card confiscated."

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭little bess

It’s just a normal leap card, not personalised. She’s afraid to use my card in the future in case of a fine now! I guess I’ll have to buy her a child’s one, only to be lost at some point no doubt ðŸ‘

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Stephen Strange

It’s just a normal leap card, not personalised. She’s afraid to use my card in the future in case of a fine now! I guess I’ll have to buy her a child’s one, only to be lost at some point no doubt ðŸ‘

You can register the child's leap card and if lost it will be replaced free of charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Get her a personalised one and if its lost you can block it and get a new one with the credit returned if any on the one lost.

You can also get adult fare on the child leap.

You may go to driver and ask for adult fare and just tell them to press adult/child button on top left of machine.

School hours are from start to 7pm and start to 1330 on a Saturday.

Well worth using the leap as it saves a lot.

• Advertisement

Op was there credit on the card because many don't top up or pretend to scan the cards and walk on.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭little bess

Op was there credit on the card because many don't top up or pretend to scan the cards and walk on.

Yeah there was credit on there. We have about 5 non personalised leap cards knocking about the house, is it really worth getting a child’s one? What’s the difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Yeah there was credit on there. We have about 5 non personalised leap cards knocking about the house, is it really worth getting a child’s one? What’s the difference?

It will automatically deduct the child fare when you tag on. You don't need to go to the driver unless it's only a few stops. If a child uses the normal leap card on the Dart train then they will be charged the adult fare.
    It saves messing.
    I can't see the issue with a child using the adult one on the bus if they isn't a doubt over the age.

Fare cap is less and until 7pm weekday they only pay .79 cent and if travelling on another bus in a 90 min period it cost .4 cent second tag on

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Just asking as I gave my daughter my leap card to use recently. When she arrived home she said that the driver, on Dublin Bus, told her she’s not supposed to use an adult leap card (she’s 14) and next time she could get a fine. Is this right? I couldn’t find anything on the leap card website about it?

There is no chance of any fine.

No issue with a child using an adult Leapcard,but when presenting the card be sure to specify a Child fare is required.

The Leapcard screen defaults to whichever type of card is presented Adult or Child,so a ticket will print for the non type user.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Get her a personalised one and if its lost you can block it and get a new one with the credit returned if any on the one lost.

You can also get adult fare on the child leap.

You may go to driver and ask for adult fare and just tell them to press adult/child button on top left of machine.

School hours are from start to 7pm and start to 1330 on a Saturday.

Well worth using the leap as it saves a lot.

At 14 they can't get a personalised card. It's only meant to be from 16.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

You can get a child personalised as well if you wish.

At 14 they can't get a personalised card. It's only meant to be from 16.

Eh yes you can......

As I've seen very young kids with their face planted on them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Eh yes you can......

That could be the old 12-16 cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭liger

the driver, on Dublin Bus, told her she’s not supposed to use an adult leap card (she’s 14) and next time she could get a fine. Is this right?

Driver doesn't know his ass from his elbow. As long as it's not personalized, which you say it's not, then the only issue that needs addressing is the drivers training.

It would be worth contacting DB with the date, time and your card number. they can then provide the necessary training for that driver to ensure other kids aren't put in that situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

endacl wrote: »
    Driver was probably being nice to her, as she is a kid. You're not supposed to use anybody else's leap card, full stop.

Leap cards are transferable (subject to the operators T&Cs), just not personalised types or those with a ticket loaded onto them. There is no issue doing such with DB.

Eh yes you can......

Child 16-18 needs to be personalised, child 4-15 can't be personalised.

With regards to the OPs question, see the Leap T&Cs:-
    "Adult Leap Card" means those Leap Cards that can be used by a person of any age

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭brokenarms

Makes me wonder why some drivers come out with comments like that to customers.
    Why bother?
    Even if they were using the wrong type leap. They still paid.

Advertisement