Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Foxrock village/Dun Laoghaire bus service

Options
  • 23-06-2016 9:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭

I hear there is a petition in foxrock village to get a better bus service to go into the village not bad idea considering most villages in dublin have a bus service in them foxrock only has one 63 a day in either direction serving to get elderly residents to dun laoghaire and back it would probably make sense to have the 63 going through the village rather it's current routing up cornelscourt hill. One disadvantage would be the rude and obnoxious parking especially during school times around Mart Lane. Even have every second 63 serve foxrock village. Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭liger

Stephen15 wrote: »
    I hear there is a petition in foxrock village to get a better bus service to go into the village not bad idea considering most villages in dublin have a bus service in them foxrock only has one 63 a day in either direction serving to get elderly residents to dun laoghaire and back it would probably make sense to have the 63 going through the village rather it's current routing up cornelscourt hill. One disadvantage would be the rude and obnoxious parking especially during school times around Mart Lane. Even have every second 63 serve foxrock village. Thoughts?

4 is the most I have ever seen use the via fox rock trip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

liger wrote: »
    4 is the most I have ever seen use the via fox rock trip.

Grotesquely inconvenient services are hardly an accurate indication of potential usage.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,542 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Banjoxed wrote: »
    Grotesquely inconvenient services are hardly an accurate indication of potential usage.

Given the population along Cornelscourt Hill Road and in the adjoining estates is much larger and more likely to require a bus service than that along the route through Foxrock I think the bus takes the right route.

The vast majority of people living along the route via Foxrock, let's be honest, are living in very expensive houses and will have access to a car. That being said, the via Foxrock buses are timed quite deliberately to facilitate elderly people who want to go to/from Dún Laoghaire. Hardly grotesquely inconvenient when designed for a particular market.

The old route 63 had very low usage on that section. That to me is another indication that it takes the correct route.

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭liger

Banjoxed wrote: »

The service supplied is a direct response to the service demanded

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Ok it's nearly a year now since these changes were first proposed and there dosent seem to be any sign of these coming into effect anytime soon does anyone know when or if these are even going to start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,542 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Ok it's nearly a year now since these changes were first proposed and there dosent seem to be any sign of these coming into effect anytime soon does anyone know when or if these are even going to start.

It would be dependent upon new vehicle deliveries and availability of new drivers. The 2016 deliveries are only starting to arrive at the moment.

Public transport changes tend to take a long time to deliver if they involve additional resources, which these proposals will.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

liger wrote: »
    The service supplied is a direct response to the service demanded

I recall,many years back,a retiring Driver of long service on the 63,telling me that the timetable,on the old City Centre-Glenamuck service,was considerably influenced by the travelling patterns of the sizeable numbers of Domestic Staff employed in the Foxrock/Westminster Road area.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

Advertisement