Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irrational fears.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

PsychoPete wrote: »
    Closing my eyes in front of a mirror for the fear that when I open them there will be something behind me

Candyman... Candyman... Cand...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,571 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Candyman... Candyman... Cand...

Biggie smalls... Biggie smalls... Biggie

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

:rolleyes: totally rational

• Registered Users Posts: 30,183 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I have a very big head. I'm always afraid I might get something stuck on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Toilet snakes in Ireland is an irrational fear.

until the first time it happens... So many pet snakes these days and it only takes one to escape.. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

A single Daddy Long Legs carries enough poison to kill a Blue Whale but it's teeth aren't sharp enough to pierce a whale's skin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

Bobblehats wrote: »
    Overreaction much? They basically just sit on the wall adding a dash of colour

Thread is called irrational fears, not rational fears.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

af06l_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium
    Is the joke that they used the Latin word for 'duck' instead of the Greek that would usually go with the suffix '-phobia'? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,905 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Candie wrote: »
    When I dangle my foot out of the bed when it's warm, but pull it back in in a panic because I suddenly remember the killer clowns under the bed waiting to take a bite out me.

You can never be too careful.

This one's true though.

Moths, Flies, Spiders, Butterflies...none of these things can harm you and they are essential to the harmonious functioning of our planet, unlike humans I may add.

But, killer clowns?

They just bastards.

0.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭gnarbarian

A single Daddy Long Legs carries enough poison to kill a Blue Whale but it's teeth aren't sharp enough to pierce a whale's skin.

This happened a few years ago..
    My brother left the bathroom light on one night with the window wide open,
    at about 11:30 that night I went to get ready for bed, walked into the bathroom only to be met with in and around 15 to 20 daddy long legs all just chilling out all over the place.. I'm not afraid of daddy long legs but I must say it was a very weird experience... I could almost feel their little eyes on me staring into my soul..
    It took me ages but I ushered them out as best I could without harming them..

• Advertisement

gnarbarian wrote: »
    This happened a few years ago..
    My brother left the bathroom light on one night with the window wide open,
    at about 11:30 that night I went to get ready for bed, walked into the bathroom only to be met with in and around 15 to 20 daddy long legs all just chilling out all over the place.. I'm not afraid of daddy long legs but I must say it was a very weird experience... I could almost feel their little eyes on me staring into my soul..
    It took me ages but I ushered them out as best I could without harming them..

My toes are curling up reading this...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,075 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Farfalle Vendetta

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Peatys wrote: »
    Thread is called irrational fears, not rational fears.

But moths aren’t evil. Not like that candyman

I’ve a fear of Ebola now too!

I cannot bear the thought of being in the room if it flutters or moves. Does anyone else have an irrational fear?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSa605IfTiE

VR Headset or just move your mobile around to view the full 180o effect :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,674 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Urban myth. Their venom hasn't even been studied in mammals so it's potency is unknown.

While living in Australia, I once woke up and there was a huntsman spider crawling over my face. It would have been about half the width of my face due to really long hairy legs. Pretty buff for a spider and luckily not venomous.

I'd like to say I calmly shooed it away, but I think it is still in orbit.

I am not scared of spiders, even after that, but the one I think is a really underrated terror is the white tailed spider. I am fairly certain I have been bitten at least twice by those nasty venomous little horrors. It took months for the swelling to go away. I was lucky, as I didn't lose a limb.

My daughter has an irrational fear of seagulls stalking her and then sh1tting on her hair. It's only happened twice, so I think she's being irrational. She is also irrationally terrified of volcanoes, which is weird, because she has been up at least two.

cnocbui wrote: »
    Urban myth. Their venom hasn't even been studied in mammals so it's potency is unknown.

I am not scared of spiders, even after that, but the one I think is a really underrated terror is the white tailed spider. I am fairly certain I have been bitten at least twice by those nasty venomous little horrors. It took months for the swelling to go away. I was lucky, as I didn't lose a limb.

My daughter has an irrational fear of seagulls stalking her and then sh1tting on her hair. It's only happened twice, so I think she's being irrational. She is also irrationally terrified of volcanoes, which is weird, because she has been up at least two.

Reminds me of the day I was on the phone t o Canada and suddenly a huge huge spider full of little ones lowered itself on to my hand. My scream echoed around the world. Ran down the stairs and....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,571 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

When I was a kid I used to catch daddy long legs and keep them in my pocket. My mother would go to wash the clothes and give out about all the dead daddy long legs in my pockets

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

I have a fear of balloons. Globophobia its called (I googled it). Children's parties are a nightmare!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,691 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Is the joke that they used the Latin word for 'duck' instead of the Greek that would usually go with the suffix '-phobia'? :pac:

Another Gary Larson one

Luposlipaphobia: The fear of being chased around the kitchen table by timber wolves while wearing socks on a newly waxed floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,905 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

While living in Australia, I once woke up and there was a huntsman spider crawling over my face.

My wife would die on the spot.
    My daughter...is also irrationally terrified of volcanoes, which is weird, because she has been up at least two.

The most irrational thing about that is that she's afraid of them, but has been up two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

For their size a Daddy Long Legs is incredibly strong. If a Daddy Long Legs was the same weight as a cat it would be able to lift a large car and fly off with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,378 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I can't think of anything I'm downright scared of. I don't care for clowns or mimes but I wouldn't have a fear reaction in the presence of one. Conversely, I have a friend who's scared of pretty much everything. I don't understand it. If there was a spider in her apartment, she'd nearly ring me to go around and get rid of it. Ditto flies, moths, earwigs - pretty much any insect. And it's not just dislike, it's actual fear. We're just back from Mexico and there was fab wildlife all around the resort - geckos, lizards, iguanas, raccoons, possums - everything was "If that thing comes near me, I'll scream". I just find it so puzzling. Being that scared of everything, like. She rang me earlier in actual hysterics because she'd found a dead lizard in her suitcase when she was emptying it, I had to go around and get rid of it for her. Now, I totally get that that would be a nasty surprise for anyone but she was full-on hyperventilating and when I went around she was waiting outside the apartment and wouldn't even go back in until I'd removed it and she made me chuck the top she'd found it in too. That's not a rational response, imo. I'd hate to live my life like that.

Dial Hard wrote: »
    I can't think of anything I'm downright scared of. I don't care for clowns or mimes but I wouldn't have a fear reaction in the presence of one. Conversely, I have a friend who's scared of pretty much everything. I don't understand it. If there was a spider in her apartment, she'd nearly ring me to go around and get rid of it. Ditto flies, moths, earwigs - pretty much any insect. And it's not just dislike, it's actual fear. We're just back from Mexico and there was fab wildlife all around the resort - geckos, lizards, iguanas, raccoons, possums - everything was "If that thing comes near me, I'll scream". I just find it so puzzling. Being that scared of everything, like. She rang me earlier in actual hysterics because she'd found a dead lizard in her suitcase when she was emptying it, I had to go around and get rid of it for her. Now, I totally get that that would be a nasty surprise for anyone but she was full-on hyperventilating and when I went around she was waiting outside the apartment and wouldn't even go back in until I'd removed it and she made me chuck the top she'd found it in too. That's not a rational response, imo. I'd hate to live my life like that.

You have more patience than I would. I suspect she doesn't have a specific fear of every reptile, small animal and insect of existence and that she experiences nothing more than mild anxiety - but she has learned, probably in childhood, will get someone else to deal with the problem if she overstates it, and in overstating it she's begun to experience anxiety commensurate with the level of statement that gets results.

I'm sure she's uncomfortable, but she's probably talked herself into actual fear without realizing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,378 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Candie wrote:
    I'm sure she's uncomfortable, but she's probably talked herself into actual fear without realizing it.

You're probably right. I generally don't indulge her, I've better things to be doing than being spider remover in chief for a grown woman but she was genuinely in hysterics over the lizard earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Lily_Aldrin7

PsychoPete wrote: »
    Closing my eyes in front of a mirror for the fear that when I open them there will be something behind me

Same!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Lying in bed at night looking out into the dark landing.

Or in bed at night with a dressing gown hanging on the back of the door.

Used to bother me a little but not so much anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Dial Hard wrote: »

For those of us with a spider fear, this is pretty standard. I stayed in my bedroom all day recently until my husband got home to remove the spider marauding around rest of the apartment. I don’t get the mocking or denigration of primal fears like that. We’re not doing it for the craic. We’re very well aware that it’s irrational. I’d be very happy to be no longer be afraid of spiders.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Y -I asked my father to get rid of the butterfly for me when he was over 4 days ago and he basically told me to grow up. He'll be sorry if I show up for Sunday dinner smelling like a spck left in a bog. Its still there btw. Alive and dangling. I am still afraid of it & not using the bathroom. How long does it take a butterfly to die & how long can they not move for. It occasionally twirls its antannae. I am sick thinking of it. It is an irrational fear but the fear is real. Be kind to your spider friend.

For those of us with a spider fear, this is pretty standard. I stayed in my bedroom all day recently until my husband got home to remove the spider marauding around rest of the apartment. I don’t get the mocking or denigration of primal fears like that. We’re not doing it for the craic. We’re very well aware that it’s irrational. I’d be very happy to be no longer be afraid of spiders.

I killed a spider y'day, reluctantly but no fear.. I mean if I waited for someone to help ....it was outside my bedroom door and clearly intended entrance..

• Advertisement

Y -I asked my father to get rid of the butterfly for me when he was over 4 days ago and he basically told me to grow up. He'll be sorry if I show up for Sunday dinner smelling like a spck left in a bog. Its still there btw. Alive and dangling. I am still afraid of it & not using the bathroom. How long does it take a butterfly to die & how long can they not move for. It occasionally twirls its antannae. I am sick thinking of it. It is an irrational fear but the fear is real. Be kind to your spider friend.

well you could wash in the kitchen! Unless you want to make a statement! I can now manipulate critters out of rooms...

Advertisement