Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Clearing Out The Family Home - Memory Lane

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭ger vallely

My dad passed suddenly 14 years ago next week. Mam had myself and my sister help clear out dad's shed, press and wardrobe, taking what we wanted. She said it was good for us all to do it, together. It certainly was. We laughed, cried and reminisced. My children and husband helped to and in turn it helped them get through that time of loss. When mam passed I was due to help my sister do the same with my mother's belongings, mainly her clothes. When I got to the house my sister had cleared Mam's clothes the day before. It broke my heart to walk in and see the hangers, empty in the wardrobe, the smell of mam gone and the memories of each item taken before I had a chance to process them. I guess I am sharing this hoping others will realise how important this process is and to always, like my mother had, consider not only your own but others feelings and connections too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

My parents passed away a couple of years ago and I ended up purchasing the family home from my two sisters (their shares) I have filled so many mini skips, dropped stuff to charity shops and containers and yet we are still finding memories littered everywhere around the house. But i have to question what is the thing with KEYS, we have found hundreds of the bloody things with no indication if their original locks still exist.
    Now we have gotten to the stage where the builders come in here on Monday and start knocking down walls and extensions that my father built himself, in 3 months this will be modern house with nothing left to show the family heritage. Its kinda sad and exciting at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,945 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

My widowed mother, who is in her late 70s, still lives in our family home.

I have recently began thinking about what it will be like to have to empty it when she finally departs this world, mainly cos shes a terrible hoarder and we'll need a pile of skips!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Blaizes

I hate clutter abd i hate 'stuff'.

i woukdnt be a sentimental person. the things that matter to me are in my memory. i genuinely dont need photos, though they are nice, and i dislike ornaments etc.

i clear out thibgs regularly so when i kick the bucket there'll be little in the way of junk etc to dispose of.

it might seem harsh to some but its just my way.

I clean out regularly as well, the amount of stuff people accumulate is shocking ( no disrespect to anyone) but houses are just not big enough to hoard all the stuff. I try to be a minimalist and am a fan of that way of living. The most stuff we hoard at home is actually kids toys which they won’t be parted from and that’s fine because they are part of childhood and the kids love them.

But stuff we don’t need like clothes etc go to recycling, we also try not to buy stuff we don’t need.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

whiskeyman wrote: »
    I dread the day I'll have to do this, but appreciate those who've told their story.

Great thread.

I am very aware of it all these days. with absolutely no living family now I do not want to leave a mess for others. when I viewed this dwelling, it was still full of the previous persons stuff for that reason. Kind neighbours sorted it before i arrived. As I have moved so often there is less than for most folk; will contact the Meals on Wheels folk in westport where their charity shop supports a thriving lunch club and give them first choice; most of my kitchen stuff came from there anyways!

• Advertisement
Advertisement