Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Impromptu Ask Me Anything: Homelessness

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

kippy wrote: »
    Look,
    I don't know what they are getting paid, their other expenses or where they go to college in Dublin but assuming it's minimum wage there are options.
    https://www.daft.ie/student-accommodation/dit-rathmines-road/rooms-to-share/?s%5Barea_type%5D=near&s%5Bmxp%5D=800
    So I don't know why the OP, based on what they are saying, is in the position they are in.

There's loads of students everywhere looking for accomodation.

Just because there's listings up on Daft doesn't mean that the market is flooded. There's a lot of people competing for very little availabilty. And presuming, like most students, they're getting minimum wage, rents beginning at roughly 500 euro a month and that's before every other expense is factored in: that's a pretty tight squeeze.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,393 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Arghus wrote: »
    There's loads of students everywhere looking for accomodation.

Just because there's listings up on Daft doesn't mean that the market is flooded. There's a lot of people competing for very little availabilty. And presuming, like most students, they're getting minimum wage, rents beginning at roughly 500 euro a month and that's before every other expense is factored in.
    Thanks. I am aware of these factors and again as I've said decisions are required to determine how to prioritise.

How much do you think rents should be in a city centre location to facilitate folks like the OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,093 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

One could make a decision not to derail a thread.

PARlance wrote: »
    One could make a decision not to derail a thread.

This is an unofficial, unverified AMA in After Hours. You'll forgive me if I question things a bit more than some.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

I really wish you the best OP. I hope something comes good for you and you keep safe and well until it does.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Thanks. I am aware of these factors and again as I've said decisions are required to determine how to prioritise.

How much do you think rents should be in a city centre location to facilitate folks like the OP?

I don't know the answer to that. Obviously rents are sky high because demand is at a historic level.

I think the issue is if you're prepared to say everything is the result of personal decisions and not really acknowledge that there's an absolute crisis in the availability of rental accommodation in the country then I don't think you are looking at the big picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

What are you studying in college?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭katiek102010

Good luck to you. You come across as very genuine

We have been on the verge of being homeless and I know the terror that comes with it

We have a disabled child. Couldn't source childcare and ended up with only 1 income. We couldn't afford mortgage. Bank refused to restructure mortgage and lost our home.

We were lucky at that time and could rent but last year moved to get closer to a school suitable for our child and ended up with a psychotic landlady from hell. After we moved into the property we noticed a number of things wrong ( serious issues) and our lives were turned upside down.

Council couldn't do anything or so they said tenancy wasn't registered. They came out and did an inspection and that was the last we heard.

We ended up sleeping on the sitting room floor of a family member and luckily got a rental 20 k away

At this time there was a house nearby that we wanted to buy for 100k. We have 80k. We tried every single thing we could think of to get a mortgage or a loan for the difference. We couldn't. We don't have parents. I have 1 sibling and husband has none

He earns 30k pa and banks want 35k min pa to get a mortgage.

It's a dreadful situation to be in and I have a genuine fear on a weekly basis we will end up there the average waiting period on council lists here is 10 years or more

Arghus wrote: »
    I don't know the answer to that. Obviously rents are sky high because demand is at a historic level.

I think the issue is if you're prepared to say everything is the result of personal decisions and not really acknowledge that there's an absolute crisis in the availability of rental accommodation in the country then I don't think you are looking at the big picture.
    I didn't say everything is a result of personal decisions, however in this circumstance I do believe personal decisions have had a major impact.
    There is of course a crisis in the availability and price of rental accommodation in the bigger cities and a general issue with housing and social policy. This is widely known.
    You can do one of two things, try to take back some control over it or accept it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

I didn't say everything is a result of personal decisions, however in this circumstance I do believe personal decisions have had a major impact.
    There is of course a crisis in the availability and price of rental accommodation in the bigger cities and a general issue with housing and social policy. This is widely known.
    You can do one of two things, try to take back some control over it or accept it.

Can you please specify as to which decisions you are talking about other than prioritizing going to college versus having a place to sleep? t is obvious that he is a very determined individual.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭The Nutty M

poisonated wrote: »
    Can you please specify as to which decisions you are talking about other than prioritizing going to college versus having a place to sleep? t is obvious that he is a very determined individual.

How true. He has the common sense to see that education will get him out of the situation he's in. How many people in the same situation would dump the education and not see the bigger picture.
    Rumour has it that Kippy is struggling with the bigger picture too :-)

poisonated wrote: »

The decision not to ask family for help, the decision not to continue asking friends for help.
    If you want to prioritise going to college in the mpst expensive city in the countty rather than have a roof over your head, fair play, as I've already said.
    I am not sure what is expected of the state or indeed any of us in order to support the OP.
    Free accommodation in the place of their choosing? Cheap (but undefined) accommodation in the place of their choosing?
    A dry hostel has been suggested. Perhaps this is the answer.

How true. He has the common sense to see that education will get him out of the situation he's in. How many people in the same situation would dump the education and not see the bigger picture.
    Rumour has it that Kippy is struggling with the bigger picture too :-)

Again, staying in college is a good thing. I never said it was a bad decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,666 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Again, staying in college is a good thing. I never said it was a bad decision.

Maybe. It depends what you're studying and whether it will lead to better paying work.

What are you studying, OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,361 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

On a technical point the OP is not homeless they are temporally living in a hostel.

There was a really interesting article in the Irish time about potential homeless or maybe insecurity in renting and all the people were older and had led somewhat unconventional lives, or were self-employed or had a property at one time but had drifted around or had travled a lot and were older before getting themselves sorted or lived in Dublin and want to stay there.

The op dose not have any family or friends that would support them.

Modern life is very hard on some people and its simply not possible to live comfortably without a lof constraints and a strong support network in Dublin unless you are well off.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Homeless2019

JupiterKid wrote: »
    OP - have you tried to source stable accommodation through the HAP (Housing Assistance Payment) scheme?
    Yes, I've applied for this and am awaiting a decision. There's currently a backlog in the Dublin metropolitan area, but once my eligibility is confirmed, that should help.

A troublesome factor might be the fact that my wife and I are informally separated but not divorced. She knows nothing about any of this, and the housing officer advised me that it might cause a delay, how long she could not say, but we have extensive evidence of having lived apart for a few years now.
    I’m well aware that the private rented sector is a nightmare these days, largely due to poorly thought-out govt housing policies (I am a housing policy analyst myself) and homelessness is a real problem, particularly in Dublin. All the guff about “wasters” and “forever homes” from posters who don’t have a clue of how the housing system actually works.
    Thank you for this.
    padd b1975 wrote: »
    What are you studying in college?
    I'd rather not specify this, as I've already given details which might identify me to some people. It's not an arts degree, if that's what you're asking. I'm studying a scientific discipline.
    The decision not to ask family for help, the decision not to continue asking friends for help.
    If you want to prioritise going to college in the mpst expensive city in the countty rather than have a roof over your head, fair play, as I've already said.
    I am not sure what is expected of the state or indeed any of us in order to support the OP.
    Free accommodation in the place of their choosing? Cheap (but undefined) accommodation in the place of their choosing?
    A dry hostel has been suggested. Perhaps this is the answer.
    Just to be clear, I'm not posting here to 'ask the state' for anything.

If I were asking the State for something, this would be the wrong way to go about it.

My only point in starting this thread was so that people would feel free to (as it says on the tin) ask anything of a homeless person, and maybe to see that it can happen easier than you think.

mariaalice wrote: »
    On a technical point the OP is not homeless they are temporally living in a hostel.
    It's a hostel solely for homeless people, paid for by myself and Dublin City Council, who have decided that me, and everyone else who stays there, is in need of emergency (homeless) accommodation.

I'm sleeping on a floor in College tonight for the second night in a row. I'm pretty homeless if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

'they cant help every student'

Ummm.. There are probably only 1 of you students actually homeless or at most a couple of others.

You seriously haven't been onto the college are they aware you're sleeping in hostels?

Dont think were getting the full story here.

A university wouldn't see their student sleeping in a homeless hostel if they knew.

What address did you use to sign up if you're out of the family home since 17

What about the homeless HAP Scheme? You are deemed homeless and they pay your deposit and weekly rent. Why have you not looked into this? Or have you?

You say you are working 25 hours a week. So where does your 230 odd euro go every week? Student nights? Drugs? Loan? Which is it and why can't you put that towards a room or Hap accomodation?

Ummm.. There are probably only 1 of you students actually homeless or at most a couple of others.

You seriously haven't been onto the college are they aware you're sleeping in hostels?

A university wouldn't see their student sleeping in a homeless hostel if they knew.

I spoke about Housing in general to College last Sept. Regarding this current problem, I assume the College would direct me to the available services like HAP, which I am doing. This is a College of almost 17,000 students. I don't expect them to house me and every other student who cannot afford his or her rent, but yes, I probably should get onto them.

The other reason I haven't done so is that it's a pretty embarrassing thing to even speak about this on an anonymous internet board,let alone to your tutor or a College Officer, some of whom I know fairly well from various clubs and societies.

What about the homeless HAP Scheme? You are deemed homeless and they pay your deposit and weekly rent. Why have you not looked into this? Or have you?

You say you are working 25 hours a week. So where does your 230 odd euro go every week? Student nights? Drugs? Loan? Which is it and why can't you put that towards a room or Hap accomodation?

Jaysus man. Walk a mile in another mans shoes and all that. I think that’s a bit harsh on the kid.

Wasn't going to reply to this, but I did say Ask me Anything so...

I have been renting for about 6 years. Never had an issue until there was a rent increase and about a year later, a relationship breakdown.

There has never been a need to use my old family address, I haven't lived there for over 6 years.

I have. There is currently a backlog in Dublin.

Food (which is really expensive when you can't cook, and have to eat prepared meals like sandwiches), my Dublin City Homeless Hostel (no, they're not free), college materials, buses. There isn't enough to pay weekly rent, let alone a deposit and rent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,405 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Jesus lads. How big is your family? Why dont you have more friends? What makes you think you should pay less than 500 euro for a room? Why don't you ****off? Why do you dare to exist? Is this a who can ask the meanest questions competition?

Jesus lads. How big is your family? How many friends have you? What makes you think you should pay less than 500 euro for a room? Why don't you ****off? Why do you dare to exist? Is this a who can ask the meanest questions competition?

Ah seriously.

Ah seriously what?

Jesus lads. How big is your family? How many friends have you? What makes you think you should pay less than 500 euro for a room? Why don't you ****off? Why do you dare to exist? Is this a who can ask the nastiest questions contest?
    Thanks man! It's grand, I knew what I was doing starting this in AH, it's no bother·

Before I became homeless I'd probably have asked a lot of these questions myself, although maybe just in my own head. I want people to know there are all kinds of homeless people out there and whether we're addicted to something or not, or working or in college or unemployed, we're all regular people like everyone else is.

Jesus lads. How big is your family? Why dont you have more friends? What makes you think you should pay less than 500 euro for a room? Why don't you ****off? Why do you dare to exist? Is this a who can ask the meanest questions competition?

Aye, there is certainly a lot of billy big balls around here. Bad situations can happen to anyone at any time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Farawayhome

This is not the first time I've noticed bullying on boards.ie. I know it's just online, faceless cowards and we can brush it off but what's wrong with these people?

I can emphatize with the OP, that's all. I was in a similar enough situation. You dont even have to be all that unlucky or make bad decisions to be just scraping by. I had to support myself too during college/uni, not that unusual really where I am from and at the time . But I was lucky to have an affordable flat, social housing. And the hours I worked I was able to use for rent, bills, food etc not just for an exorbitant rent. Now I'm an engineer for over twenty years paying very good taxes. So even if you want to be cynical and make it all about money it worked out for the state/society. Wasn't even that my flat was subsidised, was simply not left to the sharks. Of course thats changed in my hometown too now, but nowhere near as bad as Dublin.

This is not the first time I've noticed bullying on boards.ie. I know it's just online, faceless cowards and we can brush it off but what's wrong with these people?
    Ah man, after a few weeks in a homeless hostel, you get a bit hard-nosed, it doesn't bother me! But I appreciate the kind words.

I didn't respond to a few people who mentioned student accommodation. Just so you know, it costs about 6k from September to May, it's not all that different to private accommodation but you have to pay in two big lump sums, so that has never been a runner. I'd put it this way, the students who tend to live in Halls aren't exactly broke! There isn't any kind of scheme for poorer students, nor am I asking for one.

How is your mental mood after all of this? I assume you must have been quite strong mentally to cope with this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭This is it

Some posts are a bit OTT but if you have seen any "bullying" in the thread I'd suggest you're a bit precious.

Advertisement