Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Impromptu Ask Me Anything: Homelessness

Options
  • 25-04-2019 11:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

I don't really know why I'm creating this thread. Before I became homeless myself, I hadn't known what it had entailed. Let me tell you my story and then I will answer some questions.

I'm a regular boards user, although not usually on AH.

Last Winter, I lost my flat due to a mixture of rent arrears and marriage breakdown.

For a long time, I have observed a narrative on social media that the homeless are somehow deficient in our work ethic, or in our personalities; unable to hold down jobs, or unable to secure employment. I am a worker, as are many of the men I share accommodation with. I estimate that about 4 in every 10 of the men in my hostel are workers. Another 4 in 10 are probably addicted to drugs, and the remaining two are likely to be mentally unwell.

As this is an 'entry level' hostel (one that you would be admitted to if you ever became homeless), I reckon it's fairly reflective of the overall homeless demographic.

I read a lot of rubbish online about homelessness - about how it's used and abused, but nobody I've ever met is abusing the system. I've met 19 year olds who have been abusing heroin since before they were teenagers. I've shared rooms with men who have never lived in normal families, having been in the 'Care' of the State since they were teens, often physically and sexually abused. I have never met a single chancer who was living in this accommodation for the fun of it, or for any chance at a social house, of which there is little.

I myself am a student in a Dublin university, and I had to choose between living on the streets or dropping out of college. It wasn't an easy choice, but I've stayed in college and am lucky to have hardly ever had to sleep on the streets.

Lets clear up a lot of the BS around homelessness. Ask me anything.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Homeless2019

When is your next fiction?
    I am spending tonight in college because I can't afford a bed for the night.

Next question?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,669 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

What would make a difference for you right now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Familiar.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭noubliezjamais

Can anyone become homeless? I'll definitely become homeless this August if I don't get into college (according to my father).

How old are you if you don't me asking? I'm 20 and repeating the leaving cert.

Would you say it's easy for anyone to become homeless? I heard the high cost of rents in Dublin along with poor mental health system here exacerbate the issue. But on the other hand, I've heard that certain government departments are loosening the term on what it means to be homeless.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,393 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Do you have a support network of:
    Friends?
    Family?
    If so are you able to utilise them for whatever assistance you require?

How are you managing to afford college and all that goes with it in the capital city?
    Have you looked at moving to a less expensive city?

I am sorry to hear of your troubles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

When you did have to sleep rough have you received any hassle from the public or police?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,433 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

I don't really know why I'm creating this thread. Before I became homeless myself, I hadn't known what it had entailed. Let me tell you my story and then I will answer some questions.

I'm a regular boards user, although not usually on AH.

Last Winter, I lost my flat due to a mixture of rent arrears and marriage breakdown.

For a long time, I have observed a narrative on social media that the homeless are somehow deficient in our work ethic, or in our personalities; unable to hold down jobs, or unable to secure employment. I am a worker, as are many of the men I share accommodation with. I estimate that about 4 in every 10 of the men in my hostel are workers. Another 4 in 10 are probably addicted to drugs, and the remaining two are likely to be mentally unwell.

As this is an 'entry level' hostel (one that you would be admitted to if you ever became homeless), I reckon it's fairly reflective of the overall homeless demographic.

I read a lot of rubbish online about homelessness - about how it's used and abused, but nobody I've ever met is abusing the system. I've met 19 year olds who have been abusing heroin since before they were teenagers. I've shared rooms with men who have never lived in normal families, having been in the 'Care' of the State since they were teens, often physically and sexually abused. I have never met a single chancer who was living in this accommodation for the fun of it, or for any chance at a social house, of which there is little.

I myself am a student in a Dublin university, and I had to choose between living on the streets or dropping out of college. It wasn't an easy choice, but I've stayed in college and am lucky to have hardly ever had to sleep on the streets.

Lets clear up a lot of the BS around homelessness. Ask me anything.

Which one is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Can anyone become homeless? I'll definitely become homeless this August if I don't get into college (according to my father).

How old are you if you don't me asking? I'm 20 and repeating the leaving cert.

Would you say it's easy for anyone to become homeless? I heard the high cost of rents in Dublin along with poor mental health system here exacerbate the issue. But on the other hand, I've heard that certain government departments are loosening the term on what it means to be homeless.

Would you not be better off spending your time studying then, rather than spending all your time creating threads? Serious question.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭noubliezjamais

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Would you not be better off spending your time studying then, rather than spending all your time creating threads? Serious question.

I study but take breaks and to be honest, I don't feel it's doing me well. Last time, I got less than 100 points in the leaving cert back in 2017. My father said if I don't get into college, he'll kick me out.

It's looking quite bleak. I'm trying hard but don't think I'll be making progress.

john4321 wrote: »
    Which one is it?
    Both. I can't imagine how anyone can live without working during their studies, unless they are from the city in which they work, or their parents are very well-off.
    timthumbni wrote: »
    When you did have to sleep rough have you received any hassle from the public or police?
    Very little. Mostly from other homeless people, surprisingly.
    Do you have a support network of:
    Friends?
    Family?

I don't. It's apparently quite common among homeless people - a lack of a familial support network.

How are you managing to afford college and all that goes with it in the capital city?
    Have you looked at moving to a less expensive city?
    I thought with my job that I should have been able to afford rent. I was previously unemployed, so my tuition fees are almost free. I really am grateful for that. But even with my job, it's impossible to make ends meet.

• Advertisement

Both. I can't imagine how anyone can live without working during their studies, unless they are from the city in which they work, or their parents are very well-off.

Very little. Mostly from other homeless people, surprisingly.

I don't. It's apparently quite common among homeless people - a lack of a familial support network.

I thought with my job that I should have been able to afford rent. I was previously unemployed, so my tuition fees are almost free. I really am grateful for that. But even with my job, it's impossible to make ends meet.

So why don't you have a support network of friends and family?
    Why don't you move city to study?

kippy wrote: »
    So why don't you have a support network of friends and family?
    Why don't you move city to study?
    I can't move cities because no university has that kind of transfer programme, it simply is not facilitated. If I were to begin again in another university, I'd have to pay full tuition fees to do so (ie private fees). This is not feasible.

As for my family, let me just assure you that we cut our ties when I was 17 and that was for the best. They want nothing to do with me, and the feeling is mutual.

What would make a difference for you right now?
    Rental prices where working people can afford to rent very modest, simple apartments.

I work a minimum of 25 hours per week, there's no way I can afford tp pay my bills and rent. And that's just wrong, if you ask me.

How long can you stay in this entry level hostel? Indefinitely or is there a limit?

Can you get help with housing from the local area council.

I can't move cities because no university has that kind of transfer programme, it simply is not facilitated. If I were to begin again in another university, I'd have to pay full tuition fees to do so (ie private fees). This is not feasible.

As for my family, let me just assure you that we cut our ties when I was 17 and that was for the best. They want nothing to do with me, and the feeling is mutual.

And being homeless is feasible?

And you've no friends, aunts, uncles, etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭fatknacker

When you go to a hostel do the staff put you in a room with drug users, or can you choose to be in a dry room?

Rental prices where working people can afford to rent very modest, simple apartments.

I work a minimum of 25 hours per week, there's no way I can afford tp pay my bills and rent. And that's just wrong, if you ask me.

Why don't you move to a more affordable location?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭ScallionAyter

You don't need an apartment, you just need a room.

timthumbni wrote: »
    How long can you stay in this entry level hostel? Indefinitely or is there a limit?

Can you get help with housing from the local area council.
    It's called a 'rolling bed'.

That means you stay there indefinitely, I think. I can't bear to stay there sometimes, because of the fact that guys there are smoking heroin during the night, or drinking, or slamming something or other. I'd rather stay in college some nights.

And you've no friends, aunts, uncles, etc etc
    Of course I have aunts and uncles. But I can't ask them to choose between me and their sister or brother. That just isn't an option.
    fatknacker wrote: »
    When you go to a hostel do the staff put you in a room with drug users, or can you choose to be in a dry room?
    I don't think it's a choice.

The lady in Dublin City Council said she was going to put me in a nice place, and in my first night there, there was a guy shooting up heroin in the room. I'm not blaming DCC, I'm just saying, there isn' a 'menu'! Which I guess is fair enough.

Why don't you move to a more affordable location?
    It would mean quitting college. College is my major focus right now. It's my escape hatch.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

What sort of question is that?

• Advertisement

It's called a 'rolling bed'.

That means you stay there indefinitely, I think. I can't bear to stay there sometimes, because of the fact that guys there are smoking heroin during the night, or drinking, or slamming something or other. I'd rather stay in college some nights.

Of course I have aunts and uncles. But I can't ask them to choose between me and their sister or brother. That just isn't an option.

I don't think it's a choice.

The lady in Dublin City Council said she was going to put me in a nice place, and in my first night there, there was a guy shooting up heroin in the room. I'm not blaming DCC, I'm just saying, there isn' a 'menu'! Which I guess is fair enough.

It would mean quitting college. College is my major focus right now. It's my escape hatch.

Why would your aunts or unles look at it as that type of decision?
    Where are your friends?

You don't need an apartment, you just need a room.
    I spend a good chunk of every working day looking up room-shares. Believe me, I have tried.

Nixonbot wrote: »
    What sort of question is that?
    A question based on the OP's response to a previous question.
    (Moving cities not being feasible)
    What is more feasible?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭This is it

I don't have any question but I do wish you the best of luck.

Why would your aunts or unles look at it as that type of decision?
    Where are your friends?
    I stayed with my friends for two months before finally giving-in, and entering Parkgate Street and registering as homeless.

It was the worst day of my life. There was a woman there who smelt of piss, hauling around a black sack of her clothes; there was a junkie strung-out, trying to start a fight.

Believe me, if my aunts and uncles could have helped, I'd have gone to them before Parkgate Street.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,625 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I wonder are there any charitable groups who offer dry rooms you could try? I'm no longer familiar with the irish situation but they have them where in other countries, usually religious organisations to very varying degrees ( some religious in name only which are the ones I'm familiar with, Caritas)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,237 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Is there no student accommodation available?
    Have you discussed your hard times with the college? You'd be surprised how much they can help.

I stayed with my friends for two months before finally giving-in, and entering Parkgate Street and registering as homeless.

It was the worst day of my life. There was a woman there who smelt of piss, hauling around a black sack of her clothes; there was a junkie strung-out, trying to start a fight.

Believe me, if my aunts and uncles could have helped, I'd have gone to them before Parkgate Street.
    And have you been in touch with your friends since? What do they think? How many friends have you? Have you approached any of them with an offer of sleeping on their couches for a fee etc?

Have you any siblings?

I am not trying to be obtuse and I know there are genuine people out there, without addiction or underlying mental health issues who are homeless but I often ask myself what set of decisions have they made in their lives to get to that point and is the homelessness a short term thing for them in order to facilitate some other part of their lives at that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

Sorry to hear about your situation. I wash you the best of luck.

• Advertisement

It seems mad and very unfair that if you are not a drink or drug addict that they couldn’t find you a hostel that is dry.

Advertisement