Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Fire at Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,835 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Some Philistines on here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

That’s the guy I was referring to. It was bbc news not sky.

Yes sorry, I've been switching. Maybe long electrical lines spread it.

That's horrible, and so soon after the museum went up in Rio.

Hate seeing anything old on fire.

• Burn baby burn.

You'd swear tis yer own houses on fire

Jesus Christ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Whats wrong with that?

Nothing. Thats the point.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 746 ✭✭✭GinAndBitter

lets-not-jump-rtmqwk.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Burn baby burn.

You'd swear tis yer own houses on fire

It's a cultural loss that many people have visited. Quite sad to see so much history go up in smoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,928 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Zorya wrote: »
    Some expert chap on Sky just said he could not understand how it got so bad so fast. Said"something else" must have happened. Led to an awkward stutter from interviewer. Ken something or other. Must have been a tinderbox. It took 200 years to build.

Ken Follett, wasn't a good person to have on and the french politician after was also poor, the bbc reporting hasn't been good really

Pity to see the tower also on fire now

• Registered Users Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Nothing. Thats the point.

Me Stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭enricoh

Hurrache wrote: »
    FFS. People like you are just hoping for it to be a terrorist attack, it's a real wet dream for you salivating at the thought.

In fairness he posted credible links to previous isis plots to target that church and that other churches in france have been attacked last month.
    Who knows, maybe they did try again.
    A big jewel gone in paris' tourist crown, hopefully it was an accident. Tourism got hammered after the bataclan, isis links to this will do more harm than an accident.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,131 ✭✭✭✭ted1

is_that_so wrote: »
    It's a cultural loss that many people have visited. Quite sad to see so much history go up in smoke.

Exactly it’s like the night the English went 1-0 down and wrecked landowne road. Is symbolic and an institution

Seems to be past its worst but still raging flames.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭kravmaga

What's left in terms of the stone work will be a grim memorial.

The word negligent springs to mind. What sort of fire protection system was in place? safety plan or fire plan did they have. Risk assessment ahead of work, supervision of workers and equipment? Care taken with fire hazards, electric equipment, cabling etc.

Euro news mentioned that there was some sort of renovation work going on with contractors, maybe they were not supervised properly, a lot of fires in historic buildings can be caused by contractors.

Reuters Paris bureau chief Luke Baker tweets that authorities are attributing the fire to ongoing renovation work:

Luke Baker

@BakerLuke
    Fire at Paris’ Notre Dame cathedral was started by accident and is related to ongoing work, according to France 2, citing police. Either way it is terrible and a hideous blow to the symbolic heart of the city

6:19 PM - Apr 15, 2019
    Twitter Ads info and privacy
    2,874 people are talking about this

ted1 wrote: »
    Exactly it’s like the night the English went 1-0 down and wrecked landowne road. Is symbolic and an institution
    It's a majestic building, inside and out and it does symbolise Paris.

I hope those in the cathedral trying to rescue artifacts have left. No casualties so far so hope they don’t tempt fate at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

I was onto my folks that ran a stonework restoration company for a long time and they are devastated.
    They said it's entirely plausible that this was caused by the building works since there are usually a lot of temporary wires around.
    Also not too surprising that unfortunately an old wooden roof like that would just burn like newspaper.
    It's really really sad.

You have to be mentally unwell or around 13 years old to possibly laugh or gloat about the destruction of a building older than the Aztecs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Erik Shun

kravmaga wrote: »
    Euro news mentioned that there was some sort of renovation work going on with contractors, maybe they were not supervised properly, a lot of fires in historic buildings can be caused by contractors

Quite heavy construction going on... so it is a possibility that it was negligence.... but it's the dept of prosecutions who are going to investigate...so that's a pointer to where the French hierarchy are looking right now

• Registered Users Posts: 13,547 ✭✭✭✭josip

If it was caused by the renovators would their insurers be liable for the renovation cost?
    Not that it could be replaced, but I doubt the French will just cordon it off and leave it derelict.

LirW wrote: »
    I was onto my folks that ran a stonework restoration company for a long time and they are devastated.
    They said it's entirely plausible that this was caused by the building works since there are usually a lot of temporary wires around.
    Also not too surprising that unfortunately an old wooden roof like that would just burn like newspaper.
    It's really really sad.

That’s interesting. I thought big heavy beams would take hours to get going. Obviously not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,142 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

enricoh wrote: »
    In fairness he posted credible links to previous isis plots to target that church and that other churches in france have been attacked last month.
    Who knows, maybe they did try again.
    A big jewel gone in paris' tourist crown, hopefully it was an accident. Tourism got hammered after the bataclan, isis links to this will do more harm than an accident.

Get outta here would ya. Sure he might as well have posted links to the Dresden fire bombings as they have as much relevancy here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Angliru wrote: »
    A few friends are in Paris for a week, I've no idea if they managed to fit in a visit already.

You'd be raging if you didn't.

"Let's go and see Notre Dame Cathedral!"

"Calm down, it'll still be there tomorrow"

That’s interesting. I thought big heavy beams would take hours to get going. Obviously not.
    That was one nugget Ken Follett mentioned, they would likely be very dry and burn fast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭ Sofia Damaged Lodging

You have to be mentally unwell or around 13 years old to possibly laugh or gloat about the destruction of a building older than the Aztecs.

What do you expect from people whose knowledge of history doesn't extend beyond Conor McGregor's MMA record?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

"The wood and lead spire was built during a restoration in the mid-19th century, according to the cathedral's website."

I'd be closing my windows in Paris.
    It seems some stuff had been removed for the duration of the works.

"There are a lot of art works inside...it's a real tragedy," Paris Mayor Anne Hidalgo told reporters at the scene.

The cathedral was in the midst of renovations, with some sections under scaffolding and bronze statues were removed last week for works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Force Carrier

kravmaga wrote: »
    Euro news mentioned that there was some sort of renovation work going on with contractors, maybe they were not supervised properly, a lot of fires in historic buildings can be caused by contractors

Yes, and I don't think it's enough to say 'it was just an accident'. This is a top down thing. They must have a Fire Protection System in place. People tasked as with fire watch duties if possibly in addition to their other work. As well as smoke alarms. And who can raise the alarm quickly and/or deal with an fire in its early stages.

Also don't expect a spark from construction equipment or cabling unless it was faulty or things were powered on when they shouldn't be.

Hugh Scofield saying there has been something there right back in history to the origins of Paris. Reuters reporting fire inside one of the towers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

is_that_so wrote: »
    That was one nugget Ken Follett mentioned, they would likely be very dry and burn fast.

Probably preserved with some creosote/tar derivative

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 746 ✭✭✭GinAndBitter

Hurrache wrote: »
    Get outta here would ya. Sure he might as well have posted links to the Dresden fire bombings as they have as much relevancy here.

What's the problem? Muslims have form for destroying churches in France, no harm in pointing that out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

It depends on a couple of factors really but if you have wiring running along it, maybe a bit of wind outside, dry air in the church it can go really fast. Also if it's caught by a big fire already it devours anything in its way.
    Think of 800 year old seasoned hardwood.

I'm really curious what the report will say at the end.

Advertisement