Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Fire at Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

typical work wear

Yet also very much in fashion for walking down the Champs Elysées these days. Such French chic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Pero_Bueno

Danzy wrote: »
    You may be trolling but it is showing a deep problem.
    Infowars? Why denigrate this thread.

Sorry, infowars must mean it's fake, there is links to the original fb/twitter feed, it's real.

The Buzzfeed journalist was the one lying saying he made it up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

Pero_Bueno wrote: »
    Jesus. Doesn't that lad work for info wars.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

thomil wrote: »
    Most cathedrals will have similar teams. I caught a documentary on Cologne Cathedral a few years ago where they stated that once you've reached one end of the cathedral with your repairs & restoration work, you can go right back to the beginning. These things, particularly romanic & gothic cathedrals, are a permanent work in progress, so the talent and know how should definitely be there.

Yes, I had thought as much but I wasn't sure. It's just going to be a long, slow process. Hopefully they'll be able to spare a few members from each team around Europe to get it done properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Hurrache wrote: »
    For Forks Sake shared this in another thread. Might be useful to you.
    typical work wear

It was on a news clip, showing the firefighters fighting the fire, and a person walking across one of the towers. There was supposed to be nobody in the cathedral.

• Advertisement

Yes and even a stopped clock is right twice a day,.

Because.. Some people have a hard one for Muslims and they need everybody to know.

Yes and even a stopped clock is right twice a day,.
    Nah... I really don't care for you or info war buddies.

We've already had the idiots on this thread try and derail it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Have you any source for this?

I'm trying to find the clip online.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Oman3212

Heads will roll over this one!!

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 13,039 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Infowars? Why denigrate this thread.

They showed the Cathedral burning as well, it is burning.

Infowars is crap but they are just reporting what is happening with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,671 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I wonder how the fire took such a fierce hold so quickly. There would have had to have been staff from security to general workers trained in fire safety or however that course is designated there to ensure no breaches, systematic or otherwise in fire safety.

In my job for 100 staff or whatever there were about 10 fire Marshall’s, drills were regular and even though they were ‘line employees’ for the most part they wouldn’t be shy issuing a bollocking and or reporting folks who were endangering potentially the workspace and or individuals through things like cars blocking fire exits, careless smoking practices, Also, with such an iconic building with so much flammable materials from wood, artworks, building materials etc there must have been some kind of positioning of extinguishers and blankets close to where work of greater risk was going on. Whole thing is weird.

Sorry, infowars must mean it's fake, there is links to the original fb/twitter feed, it's real.

The Buzzfeed journalist was the one lying saying he made it up

I know the Facebook reaction is real, just because it is infowars, a spade is often just a spade.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

From the inside! https://twitter.com/areinaud/status/1117916691353067521 . Looks relatively ok thankfully besides the part near the cross at the back which I am assuming is where the Spire came in

https://twitter.com/julia_allison_/status/1117915677871017984

• Registered Users Posts: 16,418 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Anteayer wrote: »
    I'm sure it will be restored to its former glory.

One of the things being reported a lot on French media is that quite a lot of the artworks and even the external statues had been temporarily removed for conservation work. So a lot of the artwork has been inadvertently saved.

Amazingly, the same was true for the Cutty Sark a few years ago, when most of the original parts were already offsite for restoration work.

Jesus, that looks VERY salvageable from a structural point of view from that pic and my untrained eye

<snip>

Ah.. So you are trying to derail thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Those pictures from the interior would make you hopeful.

It is a valid post on the issue of Notre Dame but for another thread.

As symbolic as the collapse of a 800 yr old building.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Can we just feck off with the Muslim/middle eastern names crap? All of those people are idiots. We get it. There are plenty of idiots in the world, and I can guarantee if some ancient British castle went up, there would be plenty of Irish idiots cheering about it. Talk about trying to take away from the tragedy to push their own agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,063 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Can we just feck off with the Muslim/middle eastern names crap? All of those people are idiots. We get it. There are plenty of idiots in the world, and I can guarantee if some ancient British castle went up, there would be plenty of Irish idiots cheering about it. Talk about trying to take away from the tragedy to push their own agenda.

I was actually thinking that myself that if st.pauls cathedral went up in flames, all the Celtic RA heads will be on social media loving it too.

There's always a minority of **** in every aspect of every culture, religion or country.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,891 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

The idiots need to push the agenda 24/7. The interior looks suprisingly ok considering the drone footage.

Danzy wrote: »

It is a valid post on the issue of Notre Dame but for another thread.

As symbolic as the collapse of a 800 yr old building.

Not really. A bunch of idiots on Facebook is not news.

Pedro's purpose is to make this thread about Muslims. Obsession.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

People here are trying to drag this thread off topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 66,118 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

pjohnson wrote: »
    The interior looks suprisingly ok considering the drone footage.

Are we sure that pic of the interior is real?
    Looking at the drone footage I can't imagine how that much survived.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Sainte Sulpice - the second largest church in Paris (made famous by Dan Brown in his book the Davinci Code) went on fire just last month.

https://www.rt.com/news/456629-french-catholic-churches-attacks/

• Registered Users Posts: 22,891 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Same guy also has the drone footage photo on his twitter so unless hes been duped this time by photoshop, I'd say he's not a chancer.

The video matches the view with the cross aswell with Spire damage just infront.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

considering the video and the picture both show the mound of ash around the cross at the back and the embers on the roof, Id say they are real. There is a stone roof below the wooden roof I believe, with the spire breaking through the stone one in that section at the back I am assuming.

• Advertisement

The drone footage showing extensive exterior damage but if the interior is very much intact that’s a good thing.

Advertisement