Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tiger Woods comeback story

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

This will always be the greatest comeback in Golf.

hogan_2592191c.jpg

16 months earlier, Ben Hogan and his wife were hit head on by a greyhound bus. They were lucky to even survive, Hogan especially as he needed surgery for blood clotting. He was a shy, taciturn, reserved player who kept himself to himself and as a result wasn't popular at all among the galleries nor with his fellow competitors. When he was 10 years old his father, suffering from depression, shot himself at point blank range in the chest. Hogan saw it and it deeply affected him which resulted in his quiet nature and stand-off personality. The accident changed everything and he played the 1950 US Open in constant pain to the delight of the galleries. These were the days of 36 holes completed on the last day and that win was the greatest comeback in Golf. He would win 3 majors in 1953 (9 overall) and is regarded as one of the finest ball strikers the game has known and credited with the player who "invented practice". That bridge they cross over at Augusta to get to the 12th green is named in his honour.

Woods is a sociopath, the product of a bullying arsehole of a father, and his fall from grace was entirely self-inflicted. He was raised to win and he won plenty. Read up about his dad and it's no surprise Wood's was a bit mentally screwed up. He was destined to become a sort of golfing messiah according to his dad. "Tiger will do more than any other man in history to change the course of humanity" Eh?

He raised the bar for playing standards in the game, raised the profile among the masses for the best game in the world which was always a bastion for elitism. What irked people was that on the one hand he was presenting himself as the devoted family man, the reality was he was a serial philanderer and many of his sponsors dropped him instantly when the details emerged. Nobody had a problem with him banging cocktail waitresses, they had a problem with the hypocrisy of it with many feeling hoodwinked and none too happy about it. Essentially, you can't extol the virtues of married life and kids when you're concurrently sowing your wild oats with hookers. He lost his mental edge with the field.

After his philandering father died in 2006, he injured himself with notions of becoming a Navy Seal to the horror of his support team. He was obsessed with the military. He got the best treatment money can buy to get healthy again and slowly emerged back into the fold, chastened but more than welcome as his presence in the game generates serious revenue. The guy knows Augusta National like the back of his hand and I think what won it for him was his play off the tee. He finds more fairways now instead of trying to take the cover off the ball. It's not a big shock that he won and it's not the greatest comeback ever. So in summation, he's a helluva golfer but don't buy into the media hype about "the greatest comeback ever".

• Registered Users Posts: 10,697 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Some lad for the women all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Golf, not really a sport tho is it ?
    Bunch of fat oul fellas playing it, driving around in carts - they're hardly fit like tennis or football players are they ?

Golf and Darts are the same category, games - not sports.

And a terrible waste of space aswell, all that acres and acres of space so some fat rich old tosser can whack a ball about, imagine the amount of proper sports facilities that could fit into a golf course ?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,257 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

TomSweeney wrote: »
    Golf, not really a sport tho is it ?
    Bunch of fat oul fellas playing it, driving around in carts - they're hardly fit like tennis or football players are they ?

Golf and Darts are the same category, games - not sports.

And a terrible waste of space aswell, all that acres and acres of space so some fat rich old tosser can whack a ball about, imagine the amount of proper sports facilities that could fit into a golf course ?

definitely a worthwhile contribution

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 262 ✭✭TomasMacR

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Some lad for the women all the same.

Personally in this age of equality, feminism and vagina power stuff. I attribute an awful lot of his early success to all those brazzers he was banging. Credit where its due. He was unstoppable when he was at that craic and his game seemed to go to sh*t when he had to knock it on the head, which wasn't by his own volition. He'd have at least another 3-4 majors to his name if his coaches could've smuggled in van loads of skanks for him to be pummelling pre tournament. Last nights miracle can only be attributed to one thing, the durty f*ckers back at it. Balls deep at this second in preparation for the Wells Fargo Championship next month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

lawred2 wrote: »
    definitely a worthwhile contribution

Thank you.
    When a fat 60 year old can win a tennis grand slam , let us know ...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,257 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Thank you.

When a fat 60 year old wins a golf major that might make some sense :confused:

Thank you.

When a fat 60 year old can win a golf grand slam , let us know ...

TomasMacR wrote: »
    Personally in this age of equality, feminism and vagina power stuff. I attribute an awful lot of his early success to all those brazzers he was banging. Credit where its due. He was unstoppable when he was at that craic and his game seemed to go to sh*t when he had to knock it on the head, which wasn't by his own volition. He'd have at least another 3-4 majors to his name if his coaches could've smuggled in van loads of skanks for him to be pummelling pre tournament. Last nights miracle can only be attributed to one thing, the durty f*ckers back at it. Balls deep at this second in preparation for the Wells Fargo Championship next month.

Could very well be back to the old tried and tested, consistency and repetition of the pre-shot (golf) routine is the cornerstone of any good golfer.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,215 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

When a fat 60 year old can win a golf grand slam , let us know ...

Well, this is 2005, he didn't win but finished 2nd.

article-1206078-02DFEA1C0000044D-394_468x706.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Cienciano wrote: »
    Well, this is 2005, he didn't win but finished 2nd.

article-1206078-02DFEA1C0000044D-394_468x706.jpg

He was 60 there? No way he's 74 now is he?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Personally in this age of equality, feminism and vagina power stuff. I attribute an awful lot of his early success to all those brazzers he was banging. Credit where its due.
    Nah, that's more likely a side-effect of it than a cause of it.

So much about golf is in the head. These guys are hitting a ball that's 4cm across, 250m through an open field and landing it within a metre of a tiny hole in the ground. The margin for error is so tiny and at the elite level winning a tournament is the difference between making 3 mistakes or 2 mistakes over 54 holes.

If you're head isn't in the game, you're fvcked.

On the other hand if your confidence is sky-high and you feel invincible, you're on course for a winner. You will also feel like you can bang any chick who looks at your for more than half a second and get away with it.

It's not really any surprise that sportsmen at the peak of their game are complete sluts. It comes with the territory - they feel like they can do nothing wrong.

He was 60 there? No way he's 74 now is he?

75 next week. He's in a training camp at the moment for next years tennis season. Word has it, he's purely concentrating on the majors and hopes to be the first 75 year old to complete the grand slam in tennis in one year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭Marengo

To be fair most sportsman rarely call themselves the greatest. Its a form of self modesty if you like. Nicklaus has said Woods, Woods has said Nicklaus, I never use that as a yardstick.

Apart from that many experts in the field go for Louis. Defended his title more and against better opposition.

Muhammad Ali's abilities get wrapped up in his legend.. His personality, looks, Vietnam stand. He was more than just a boxer. But technically inferior to Louis many feel. Joe Frazier probably would have beat him in Manila if Eddie Futch would have let him out for the 15th round in their rubber match. Ali was gifted the second Norton fight by the judges in 1978. Ali's knockout ratio was way down on other top heavyweights etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭con___manx1

Sorry this is ridiculous. He's not the only good sportsman in the world. Lionel Messi, Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal, Lebron James, Tom Brady etc. All excel in their professions too.

He's been a very good golfer for a the past year or so and was one of the favourites prior to the tournament started and so some of the hyperbole is nauseating.

tiger was 14/1 i had a tenner on him : )

Marengo wrote: »
    Many famous politicians and sports stars philanered. Even Martin Luther King! Jack Johnson, Joe Louis, Bonking Boris Becker, Ronaldo (Brazil), George Best, Lance Armstrong, Ryan Giggs, Michael Jordan, Ashley Cole, John Terry.. endless..

:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Tilikum17 wrote: »
    I think golf is far more difficult to master than any of those sports. But that’s just my opinion.

Really?
    He's standing still
    No verbal intimidation from the crowd or opponents
    He's got a caddie to hand him the ideal club
    He's practiced on the course a good few times

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

The BBC led with Woods winning the Masters. I mean it's a big sports story, but jaysus that's a bit over the top.

Every sport has it's marquee event and The Masters is that event for Golf. The tournament that even if you have zero interest in Golf it would still be on the telly if you went out somewhere. Spring time, pretty flowers, green grass, lads playing to win a jacket etc.

I have no interest in horse racing but I'll put a bet on the Grand National, a marquee event, for example. Now if Woods had won a regular PGA tour event and the BBC led with that then it would certainly be OTT but considering it's The Masters, a major tournament, that he hasn't won a major since 2008, that he has been through the wringer personally and physically, then it's certainly newsworthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭evil_seed

This is the best comeback story of ALL TIME

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Marengo wrote: »
    Apart from that many experts in the field go for Louis. Defended his title more and against better opposition.

Muhammad Ali's abilities get wrapped up in his legend.. His personality, looks, Vietnam stand. He was more than just a boxer. But technically inferior to Louis many feel. Joe Frazier probably would have beat him in Manila if Eddie Futch would have let him out for the 15th round in their rubber match. Ali was gifted the second Norton fight by the judges in 1978. Ali's knockout ratio was way down on other top heavyweights etc.

Checks out

• Advertisement

tiger was 14/1 i had a tenner on him : )

good stuff, enjoy :)

He went up to 20/1 yesterday mid round when he hit it into the pine needles and molinari was looking solid. he was only 2 behind at the time. have no paddy power account for good reason so didn’t stick anything on it :(

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Really?
    He's standing still

Ah now come on, there's more to it than that.
    It is a game of high precision and skill. Land your approach shot a couple feet or inches the wrong place on the green and its a dropped shot. Misjudge a putt and it could roll 10 feet down the green, particularly at Augusta.
    Then there is temperament and pressure. You say there's no verbal intimidation from the crowd. That's true. But every shot is watched by hundreds of millions of people around the world. You try deal with that pressure sometime!

A caddie could hand you a club. I doubt you'd do much with it though.

Nope, in all fairness, Wood's achievement was top notch, considering who he was up against. Other in form golfers like McIlroy were left struggling and he's been at Augusta 10 years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭emeldc

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Really?
    He's standing still

Jeez, sounds like a doddle. Must give it a go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Are you a scriptwriter for The In Betweeners?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I believe that’s called a “rim” job.

His disgrace was, essentially, a private issue between him and his family. He didn’t assault anyone or cheat to win at his sport so I can’t say I have any issue with him getting back on top.

It was weird when he apologised to the whole world though. :pac: Ah, that’s okay, Tiggles!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭Hoboo

valoren wrote: »
    Every sport has it's marquee event and The Masters is that event for Golf. The tournament that even if you have zero interest in Golf it would still be on the telly if you went out somewhere. Spring time, pretty flowers, green grass, lads playing to win a jacket etc.

I have no interest in horse racing but I'll put a bet on the Grand National, a marquee event, for example. Now if Woods had won a regular PGA tour event and the BBC led with that then it would certainly be OTT but considering it's The Masters, a major tournament, that he hasn't won a major since 2008, that he has been through the wringer personally and physically, then it's certainly newsworthy.

It wouldn't be OTT at all if he won any event. No one thought he'd ever play again, let alone compete. The bloke could barely walk at one stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I’m struck by how young Woods and wifey were at the time of the scandal. They seemed way older. Tiger was only 34, Elin was only 29. She’s only a few years older than me. It seems more like a middle years marriage crisis.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

• Registered Users Posts: 18,193 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Hoboo wrote: »
    It wouldn't be OTT at all if he won any event. No one thought he'd ever play again, let alone compete. The bloke could barely walk at one stage.

I agree it looked like he was gone.
    It would be the equivalent of Michael Schmacher coming back and winning the Monaco grand prix.

Nike are already making a killing on the adverts though.

The cynic in me says the film 'movie' is not far around the corner. Will Smith as Tiger Woods?

The fall from grace and turnaround has made Woods profile sky rocket.

It is 'The Mighty Ducks' all over again

With a good dollop of Happy Gilmore:

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 14 Plastic Age

Apparently he was mad for getting his arsehole eaten out according to one of the tarts he was getting up on during that expose a few years back.
    You read this and know it's an Irish person a mile a way.

Advertisement