Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hate crime? Really?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

yeah i always try to commit five hate crimes before breakfast

It was neither a reference to you specifically, nor a reference to anyone on here actively committing, or even condoning, hate crimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Hal3000

We can never lose sight of the fact that humans are deeply deeply flawed creatures. Young teenage boys are on a different spectrum. Their brains are in a zone somewhere between Fraggle Rock and Hulk Hogan.

They do stupid stuff all the time, to everyone including their own. It's hard not to for that girl, but I wouldn't look into it too much. It would probably have been the person after you just as easily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Hal3000 wrote: »
    We can never lose sight of the fact that humans are deeply deeply flawed creatures. Young teenage boys are on a different spectrum. Their brains are in a zone somewhere between Fraggle Rock and Hulk Hogan.

They do stupid stuff all the time, to everyone including their own. It's hard not to for that girl, but I wouldn't look into it too much. It would probably have been the person after you just as easily.
    Provided they were a dwarf of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Jamiekelly

Arghus wrote: »
    After Hours really sucks sometimes.

Where have all the sound people gone and why have they been replaced with mean-spirited ejits?

In the last 2-3 years AH has become a complete cesspool and threads like this one really show that. There are things that get said (and thanked) on this forum that would get the head kicked off some people if they were said on any main street in real life.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Jamiekelly wrote: »
    In the last 2-3 years AH has become a complete cesspool and threads like this one really show that. There are things that get said (and thanked) on this forum that would get the head kicked off some people if they were said on any main street in real life.

Like all species the strongest survive. Anyone different from the herd will get picked on or treated different. It's primal man. All the virtue signalling in the world isn't going to change that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,341 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

It's pretty depressing isn't it? Reading down the first page of responses earlier and it became clear that most people were interested in making cheap jokes at this woman's expense and being extremely pedantic about what constitutes a hate-crime.

Jesus lads, have a bit of class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

It was in actual main Street is actually where this woman was attacked. So I doubt that.

What is interesting about these threads is that right and left swap. The lock em up and throw away the key are, if the crime is a hate crime, are in the left. Otherwise the right.

I personally feel we can’t have a functioning multi cultural society without a tougher application of the laws regarding the anti social classes, but chance would be a fine thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Jamiekelly

Blueshoe wrote: »
    Like all species the strongest survive. Anyone different from the herd will get picked on or treated different. It's primal man. All the virtue signalling in the world isn't going to change that

Predictable. You should have thrown in the word libtard or cuck for good measure. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

The way people are so eager to show how tough and edgy they are here is quite something to behold.

A lot of the 'tough and edgy' people on the internet are afraid of the public.

It was in actual main Street is actually where this woman was attacked. So I doubt that.
    Anonymous keyboard warriors are different to street sh1ts though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,829 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I would personally describe this as a hate crime.

The definition is
    A crime, typically one involving violence, that is motivated by prejudice on the basis of race, religion, sexual orientation, or other grounds.

Sounds pretty much like a hate crime to me.
    Horrible thing for the poor woman to have to deal with.

After hours can be a cesspit at times tbh. Hopefully the woman involved or any of her friends and relations don't end up reading some of the guff posted.

Candie wrote: »
    I don't care what it's called, it's a horrible thing to do and the most important thing is that this woman was demeaned and made feel afraid and unsafe going about her daily life.

I'm not a dwarf but I am quite small and I've had someone pick me up and literally throw me to his friend across a table of drinks, they thought it was hilarious but it frightened me and has never left me. Now I'm anxious in some situations when I never was before. I hope she's okay and her message is heeded by the people she talks to, it's a worthwhile endeavour.

I met Sinead a couple of years ago and she spoke about that same thing happening to her. Drunk men picking her up and passing her around. Total strangers doing it for a laugh. She also mentioned because she is often crotch height drunken idiots have unzipped and exposed themselves to her face. She spoke of standing on a quiet street, minding her own business and a car load of lads pulling over to take photos, point and laugh.

She told us about some everyday struggles like not being able to lock the door on public toilets so needing to ask strangers to hold it for her and then not being able to reach the sinks to wash her hands. Simple stuff we take for granted.

She's an interesting, intelligent, extremely witty and accomplished woman but just the responses on this thread sum up what she has to put up with on a regular basis.

She said something that really hit me.. I wish I could remember her words exactly but I think it was something like this...

"I live in a world that was built for you. Not for me."

I think that's very sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,675 ✭✭✭buried

Doubtful those little gurrier $hitrats who assaulted her won't to be "strongly surviving" anywhere in a few years. They more than likely be heading straight from the crack den to the ditch, maybe a graveyard if they can swing it.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 15,741 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I can only imagine the sh1t she has to put up with on a weekly or even daily basis.

I'd be pretty well pissed off with a large section of society, from the leap frogging gobshytes, to people pointing, staring and laughing behind their sleeves to "well meaning" people getting it hopelessly wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,741 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

A great many people can't help being assholes.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Joe Don Dante

she'd eat an apple through a letterbox

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Lucifer31

Hate crime? No.
    Very inappropriate behaviour? For sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Trump Is Right

Candie wrote: »
    I don't care what it's called, it's a horrible thing to do and the most important thing is that this woman was demeaned and made feel afraid and unsafe going about her daily life.

I'm not a dwarf but I am quite small and I've had someone pick me up and literally throw me to his friend across a table of drinks, they thought it was hilarious but it frightened me and has never left me. Now I'm anxious in some situations when I never was before. I hope she's okay and her message is heeded by the people she talks to, it's a worthwhile endeavour.

So what?

Some drunk chaps picked you up, and now you're part of that ever growing group in society that thinks they are victims...!? FFS! :rolleyes:

Some people really need to toughen themselves up and stop being so quick to play the victim card... it's embarrassing. We are creating a nation of weaklings and softies! :P

Previous generations would have laughed most of this stuff off and got on with their life... now it's some kind of big scandal. Please... Grow a pair!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Arghus wrote: »
    It's pretty depressing isn't it? Reading down the first page of responses earlier and it became clear that most people were interested in making cheap jokes at this woman's expense and being extremely pedantic about what constitutes a hate-crime.

Jesus lads, have a bit of class.
    did you happen to read the OP at all? The topic is whether people think this should be designated a "hate" crime. People have given opinions on that topic. You have wagged your finger.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

This is a hate crime. More than alot that are deemed as hate crime, this is definitely one. The poor woman demeaned like that, with the fear that she will become a victim of a viral sensation.

Her job is to display how to maintain confidence on the obstacles she faces each day, then this happens her? Then this thread is made to downplay the whole thing?

In the space of 10 minutes in after hours I am thinking the same thing. Free speech is overrated.

• Advertisement

Free speech is overrated.
    interesting.

i guess the crux of the issue is whether the motivation of the perpetrator or how the victim feels determines how the crime is designated.

So what?

Some drunk chaps picked you up, and now you're part of that ever growing group in society that thinks they are victims...!? FFS! :rolleyes:

Some people really need to toughen themselves up and stop being so quick to play the victim card... it's embarrassing. We are creating a nation of weaklings and softies! :P

Previous generations would have laughed most of this stuff off and got on with their life... now it's some kind of big scandal. Please... Grow a pair!! :pac:
    She said it was an unpleasant experience which you know full well it was. Otherwise, you don't know her - she could be a lot tougher and more resilient than many of the edgelords here (and I suspect is).

Some of ye need to grow out of the "trying to look cool" phase. Obviously "I've had someone pick me up and literally throw me to his friend across a table of drinks" is a sh1tty thing to do, and those who'd downplay it are just being woefully disingenuous, and using anything as an excuse to use their favourite inane term (which they're addicted to using): snowflake, which is now even being used in relation to when people have a genuine grievance - not just when they are being offended over nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

It's really weird to see all these people doing their best to come off as the least empathetic, the least civilized, the most lacking in basic human civility.

It's not hard to be an asshole, it's kind of the default state. Maybe when you've absolutely nothing to be proud of, you end up scrabbling around for anything which distinguishes you?

B0jangles wrote: »
    It's really weird to see all these people doing their best to come off as the least empathetic, the least civilized, the most lacking in basic human civility.

It's not hard to be an asshole, it's kind of the default state. Maybe when you've absolutely nothing to be proud of, you end up scrabbling around for anything which distinguishes you?
    care to mention any names?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 746 ✭✭✭GinAndBitter

Who would be kicking people's heads in and for what reason?

Fantasy stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

care to mention any names?

Why? If I'm wrong and there's no one here who fits the description, no harm done, if there are posters here who fit the description, they'll know who they are without having to be told.

Who would be kicking people's heads in and for what reason?

Fantasy stuff.
    Stuff they type here under a pseudonym, which they wouldn't dream of saying to a person face to face.

I don't know if this is a hate crime but objectively it was a sh1t thing to do to someone who couldn't defend themselves and people are going to all sorts of lengths to downplay it. That's what people are talking about.

Personally mild jokes wouldn't bother me, but "It was nothing - she needs to stop being a snowflake" is no better than getting offended by tiny things.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 746 ✭✭✭GinAndBitter

Stuff they type here under a pseudonym, which they wouldn't dream of saying to a person face to face.

I don't know if this is a hate crime but objectively it was a sh1t thing to do to someone who couldn't defend themselves and people are going to all sorts of lengths to downplay it. That's what people are talking about.

Personally mild jokes wouldn't bother me, but "It was nothing - she needs to stop being a snowflake" is no better than getting offended by tiny things.

You don't know what a person would or wouldn't say face to face to anyone, we are all strangers here.

Back to the point, yeah it was a **** thing to do but a "hate crime"? Give over.

B0jangles wrote: »
    Why? If I'm wrong and there's no one here who fits the description, no harm done, if there are posters here who fit the description, they'll know who they are without having to be told.
    no harm done so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,143 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

did you happen to read the OP at all? The topic is whether people think this should be designated a "hate" crime. People have given opinions on that topic. You have wagged your finger.

It is the very definition of a hate crime no matter how much you and others try to downplay it.

Advertisement