Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Anyone else enjoy being single?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

I get more more pleasure out of a good book or fishing than I ever did in any relationship...when I think back at all the little hoops I had to jump through, pissy moods, women with the morals of an alley cat.. it nearly puts years on me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    I forgot that stating facts constitutes " hate" these days.
    Saying men are better off single, yes - it's a bit woman hating because it implies all women are potentially out to ruin men.

You're talking about it as if it's late 30s/40s - are you very young?

I'm willing to wager Charlie isn't a day over 20. Brings to mind the empty posturing of a frustrated undergraduate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

I get more more pleasure out of a good book or fishing than I ever did in any relationship...when I think back at all the little hoops I had to jump through, pissy moods, women with the morals of an alley cat.. it nearly puts years on me

I see the "blame women on my own bad choices" brigade are out in force!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

You "have to" agree with that woman hater because of ONE woman you know?! :D

I know several very happy, attractive, easy-going, well adjusted women over 30 also, but no - let's just view women negatively here.

Again.

Maybe that has clouded my judgement in this debate but Im perfectly happy to meet a childless, well adjusted middle aged lady to show me the way :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

....... wrote: »
    I see the "blame women on my own bad choices" brigade are out in force!

Not at all, I'll hold my hand up, normally you don't find out these things until you're a bit further down the road into a relationship

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

I know what he means (and I'm sorry to read of your situation which is horrible; I do hate that there are women like that - on a selfish level they really bloody well let the side down) but it's the phrasing - "men are better off single" as if every woman is potentially out to ruin him. Radical feminists shouldn't say men are all potential rapists - and broad strokes shouldn't be acceptable in relation to women either.

As if there is no man happy in his relationship. And as if there are no relationships where the woman is the one treated badly.

The quarell is with the state, got nothing to do with broad brush generalisations, reality is though that any woman can chose to cripple a male partner financially and will be celebrated for it

• Registered Users Posts: 10,526 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

I certainly enjoyed being single during my 20’s. I would have had a couple of what I would have called long term relationships during that period. Was great to “put it about” and all that but when the time came I felt that it was about time to settle down.

Of course by then I was in my 30s and knew that I’d have to be smart. I didn’t want to be pressured into marriage and kids after a year or two so I went for a partner who wasn’t around my own age so as to buy myself some time.

I feel some of those championing the single life are being a little disingenuous. Guys on here who play computer games all day, in between playing with themselves, talking as if they could be out bagging supermodels if they wanted is just plain ridiculous.

Spending less time playing World of Warcraft or whatever and more time working on your appearance and dress would give your chances of actually getting somewhere in life.

The tide is turning…

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Charles Ingles

What about single men? Have you found this with them too or is it just women?

Men don't have a biological clock can reproduce at any time.
    Not under the same pressure as women

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

I've a son and a daughter, genuinely hope my son is gay as the state is openly prejudiced against straight men and its a celebration according to many

Jumping Jesus on a pogostick, my eyes have done a full 360 in my head reading this nonsense...

• Advertisement

I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

You are on the list published every Thursday

The quarell is with the state, got nothing to do with broad brush generalisations, reality is though that any woman can chose to cripple a male partner financially and will be celebrated for it
    Ah who's going to celebrate them for it apart from the lunatic fringe? And no, plenty of men are not better off single.
    I certainly enjoyed being single during my 20’s. I would have had a couple of what I would have called long term relationships during that period. Was great to “put it about” and all that but when the time came I felt that it was about time to settle down.

Of course by then I was in my 30s and knew that I’d have to be smart. I didn’t want to be pressured into marriage and kids after a year or two so I went for a partner who wasn’t around my own age so as to buy myself some time
    :confused:

Did you get her at an auction or what?

Spending less time playing World of Warcraft or whatever and more time working on your appearance and dress would give your chances of actually getting somewhere in life.
    Where did they indicate they all play WoW and look scruffy all the time though? Or that they haven't got anywhere in life?

Berserker wrote: »
    I know a few and they've great lives. They are the type of people who don't take life too serious, work 9-5 and spend the rest of their time travelling, going to fitness classes etc. Really nice people.

Women who focus on their careers and hit a brick wall in their thirties when they realise that they want to have a relationship and family are a different kettle of fish. They tend to be intense people by nature, who want it all now and most men are going to steer clear of that. One of my OH's friends falls into this category. Late thirties now and she's set herself the goal of finding a husband and having kids by the age of 40. She started dating, kicking guys to the curb for silly reasons and the supply chain has dried up now. She a right pain to be round.

Happens a lot , seen it lots of time feminism has sold a generation of women a myth

....... wrote: »
    No.

Can you give some examples as to how exactly it does?

If a man and a woman are married with no children and break up they come out equally.

If a man and a woman are married with children and they break up then it is decided who is going to be the main carer for the children with the other person being awarded access or shared custody etc... Maintenance is also agreed.

Usually the woman ends up with custody (but not always), but whoever does then also stays in the family home - which makes sense for the children. Is this what you perceive as the state siding with the woman?

Just wanted clarification as to your earlier post, I'm fully clear now, thanks

How exactly?

And celebrated? What?

What does getting somewhere in life mean? We all die in the end so people should do what they enjoy doing.

My attitude exactly. But there is a natural urge hardwired into us to reproduce. When we get to the end of our lives and we havent done that there is a sense of failure. I personally dont give a toss because I can see through it for what it is

Just wanted clarification as to your earlier post, I'm fully clear now, thanks

You still havent given any indication of what you mean by the state siding with women?

So I can only assume you mean that by children being put first the state is siding with women.

Youd rather the kids left homeless and the bloke free with no financial responsibilities is it?

Happens a lot , seen it lots of time feminism
    No you haven't. Tv doesn't count.

It's a thing some men like to say in order to demean women but it doesn't actually happen as much as they say it does. They just like to tell themselves it does.

I'm not saying it doesn't happen - just nothing as much as a certain cohort of men like to claim.

People are far more complicated and life isn't as cut and dry as they like to believe to suit their agenda.

Saying men are better off single, yes - it's a bit woman hating because it implies all women are potentially out to ruin men.

That's your interpretation, my quarell is with the laws of the land but the law as it stands discriminates against men in the event of break-up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,376 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

That's your interpretation, my quarell is with the laws of the land but the law as it stands discriminates against men in the event of break-up

When my marriage ended (at his behest, I might point out) I walked away and left my ex with the house, the contents, the dogs and his extremely lucrative army pension.

Whoooo, me and the state really screwed him sideways there, didn't we???!

Genuine question: have you ever actually been through a divorce?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 262 ✭✭TomasMacR

Dial Hard wrote: »
    When my marriage ended (at his behest, I might point out) I walked away and left my ex with the house, the contents, the dogs and his extremely lucrative army pension.

well that was stupid.

TomasMacR wrote: »
    well that was stupid.

Jesus, we can't win.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭Allinall

TomasMacR wrote: »
    well that was stupid.

Why?

So you made a choice, I didn't say that the state forces women to get all that they can but it's there if they wish and the state will facilitate

So you made a choice, I didn't say that the state forces women to get all that they can but it's there if they wish and the state will facilitate

Yes, I did make a choice but you are posting as if the State is forcibly stripping men of their financial assets regardless of circumstance, nuance or the wishes of either party when that is quite simply not the case and never has been.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,617 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

So, I'm a little into my thirties now and still single. What I didn't expect was to actually be enjoying it. I'm able to pretty much do as I please. I can pursue my own interests, travel when and where I want and do sod all when I want.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't say no to meeting someone but I figure I should try and enjoy single life while it lasts.

yeah it's fricking great ... really loving the freedom, and don't really have an urge to have kids. For some this is a driving force, for others it's not so important.

You have to be comfortable with your own company though, so it's not for everyone I can imagine.

If thats the law thats the law. Marriage is a legally binding contract. Like any contract you should read the small print before getting into it

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Well, I don’t have much choice in the matter so I make the best of being single.

Sometimes I wish it was otherwise. Sometimes I don’t. But at the end of the day, it is what it is.

• Advertisement

Yes, I did make a choice but you are posting as if the State is forcibly stripping men of their financial assets regardless of circumstance, nuance or the wishes of either party when that is quite simply not the case and never has been.

The state does not compell the woman to get all she can but will facilitate if called upon

Advertisement