Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

€187 to change address- chill insurance

• 08-03-2019 10:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Chill insurance want to charge my husband €187 for a change of address. He asked them to repeat it 3 times as he was sure he had heard it wrong but no.... that is how much they want. No way are we paying that.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Because you're clearly moving the address to an area with a higher risk of motor vehicle theft and/or changed the parameters of storage to a more risky one. This is massively above an admin fee rate.

If you don't change the address but do change the area of main use and overnight storage, you will be in breach of the policy terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Xterminator

The cost of you insurance is heavily affected by the address, yes? So it makes sense the price would change, if your are moving. Did you ask how much the admin fee is? get a breakdown.

you can always call around, then call chill back and see can they beat another quote if you can get a better one?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,233 ✭✭✭✭ted1

raik18 wrote: »
    Chill insurance want to charge my husband €187 for a change of address. He asked them to repeat it 3 times as he was sure he had heard it wrong but no.... that is how much they want. No way are we paying that.

It’s probably 40 euro fee for address change and 147 associated to being in a higher risk address.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 raik18

We are moving from Dublin to Tullamore! Not exactly crime central!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

No grounds at all for that.

It's a refund you should be getting.

These insurance companies are robbing us blind.

I'm 20 years driving no accidents or points and mine increased 20% this year.

• Advertisement

Which company is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Doodoo

Myself and my wife have similar priced policies. We just moved from a housing estate to a country area. I'm with 123.ie and I got a refund of e46. My wife is with Axa and they wanted e105 more.
    Might be cheaper paying the cancellation charge and getting a new policy elsewhere, it was for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,380 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

You could always cancel the policy and get a new one if you’re at max no claims bonus?

Chill are only a broker.I would contact the insurance company directly and ask for an explanation.

I moved from a rural area 10 years ago to Dublin and my insurance doubled.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

magentis wrote: »
    No grounds at all for that.

It's a refund you should be getting.

Are you an actuary in the insurer in question?

If not, you have no grounds to make that claim.

L1011 wrote: »

If not, you have no grounds to make that claim.

If not you have no grounds to dispute my statement.

magentis wrote: »

If not you have no grounds to dispute my statement.

Cut the quips

If the price has gone up it is because the actuarial risk has gone up. Nothing else. Your 'statement' was nonsense and of no help to the OP. Tullamore is a not a "rural area" so your other post is also of no help to the OP.

Cut the poor,threatening worst mod on boards demeanor.

How even in a lay man's eyes can any area of tullamore be a greater risk than any area of Dublin?Are you privy to any facts at all relating to such situations from any motor insurance company???

Tullamore is an urban area then is it?

It's a medium sized town.Certainly not an urban area in anyone's eyes.

A medium sized town is not some quiet rural idyll.

Its liberty through chill. I spoke to liberty who said it's nothing to do with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,233 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Its liberty through chill. I spoke to liberty who said it's nothing to do with them.

Check your documents to see what the charge is:

https://www.chill.ie/blog/what-are-mid-term-adjustments/

It states the cost to change address is stated in your documents

I would get a few quotes with your new address and look at cancelling the existing policy.This should give you an idea of how your new address is rated compared to your old one.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

ted1 wrote: »
    It’s probably 40 euro fee for address change and 147 associated to being in a higher risk address.
    the "risk" is the risk of you putting in a claim, not necessarily related to crime at all, or driving skill etc. For all I know there could be a load of cobblestone roads in some area which is resulting in more claims for damaged cars, the insurance company might not even have a clue why the area has more claims.

You could be a terrible driver causing damage to your car every single week but put no claim in and your insurance company will be happy.

There can be odd reasons for insurance hikes which might not be too obvious.

We've never put a claim in. No cobblestones or unfinished roads. We asked for a reason for the high fee. Administration costs is their claim!!!

• Advertisement

How did you get on raik18?

Advertisement