Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

I bet you didn't know that this thread would have a part 2

Options

Comments

Athens in 620 BCE saw an aristocrat called Draco (or Dracon) write into law some of the harshest penalties possible for some pretty minor transgressions. Minor theft would incur the death penalty. Murder would incur the death penalty. There was no middle ground with Draco, as until then Athens was pretty lawless and crime ridden, and to be fair the harsh penalties brought in a new era of law and order. It was thought that Dracos laws were the first written but there are earlier written laws, although his might be the first complete written rules of law.

The extreme harshness of the penalties is why we still refer to very strict rules as Draconian, so while not a lot may be known about Dracon the Lawgiver, his name is commonly used still.

The new law and order situation made Draco very popular with the monied classes who'd suffered most theft, and he would be applauded in the streets as he passed, and it's this appreciation that led to his death. When Draco arrived at a theatre one night to endure what I assume was a depressing Greek Tragedy complete with toneless chorus, the aristocrats present showed their appreciation by throwing their cloaks in his direction. They threw so many that they buried him under them, and he suffocated.

The harsh laws were replaced with some more reasonable punishments about fifty years later.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Wibbs wrote: »
    The command module was pressurised with pure oxygen at a higher pressure than the outside atmosphere. Oxygen at those pressures means everything is pretty much flammable, even metal burns.
    The Americans used pure oxygen because you only need 1/3rd of atmosphere pressure, so they could make the spacecraft lighter.

The Russians started off with larger rockets so they could have heavier capsules so they just used a normal atmosphere with 4/5th nitrogen. And yes a Russian died in a fire in a ground test in a pure oxygen atmosphere.

If you reduce the oxygen content in air down to IIRC 17% then healthy humans can still function normally but most things are less flammable. It's also harder to light fires at altitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭storker

Carry wrote: »
    It is 14,400 years old. It was a wholemeal flatbread,

Nearly as old as what you can get in Tesco...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Christian Bale and Dick Cheney have the same birthday

• Registered Users Posts: 28,812 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I bet you didn't know that I could pick two random words, and Wibbs could write a post about them with more information than I could write a post about my most knowledgeable subject.

Freakin love this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

Quazzie wrote: »
    I bet you didn't know that I could pick two random words, and Wibbs could write a post about them with more information than I could write a post about my most knowledgeable subject.

Freakin love this thread.

Yeah, I imagine Wibbs sitting all day in a huge library, surrounded by gazillions of collectibles and whenever reading a post he is rummaging around, finds something and a lightbulb over his head goes on and off he goes to type his response - or something like that :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Me. Earlier, showing me mates around. I look quite fetching in hose I'll have ye know. :D

wpid-Photo-Jul-22-2013-547-AM.jpg

The above is a pic of a so called Cabinet of Curiosities. Rooms* of rich guys where they built collections of items from around the known world of the 16th and 17th centuries. Their tastes ranged from fine art to ethnic art and unusual natural specimens. There was quite the bit of competition between such collectors.

While museums of a sort had existed since classical times, they were private affairs and generally of artistic items. The Cabinet of Curiosities extended the range of items collected and curated in one spot and the newly discovered worlds being added to maps on a near yearly basis added more and more stuff.

A few started to be left to universities and states in collectors wills, opened up to the public and really kicked off what we think of as museums today.

*Cabinet originally meant a small room(usually private), rather than an item of furniture. We still have hints of that where politicians go in cabinet to hold private meetings. Later on it became a small room in a box, an item of furniture where you kept your private stuff.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭Conchir

Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi was originally going to be titled Revenge of the Jedi. George Lucas changed his mind (something along the lines of 'a Jedi wouldn't seek revenge') and so the title was changed. However, this was deep into production, and marketing for the film had already started. Thousands of posters with the original name had already been produced, so Lucasfilm recalled the vast majority of these and destroyed them. Only about 7000 survived, the majority of which were sold off to fan club members for a few dollars. Today, an authentic Revenge of the Jedi one sheet poster (a 27 by 41 inch poster displayed in US cinemas) can be valued anywhere, depending on the condition, from $500/$600, right up to $2000/$3000.

REVENGE.jpg
    (notice the lightsaber colours!)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,142 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Conchir wrote: »
    Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi was originally going to be titled Revenge of the Jedi. George Lucas changed his mind (something along the lines of 'a Jedi wouldn't seek revenge') and so the title was changed. However, this was deep into production, and marketing for the film had already started. Thousands of posters with the original name had already been produced, so Lucasfilm recalled the vast majority of these and destroyed them. Only about 7000 survived, the majority of which were sold off to fan club members for a few dollars. Today, an authentic Revenge of the Jedi one sheet poster (a 27 by 41 inch poster displayed in US cinemas) can be valued anywhere, depending on the condition, from $500/$600, right up to $2000/$3000.

REVENGE.jpg
    (notice the lightsaber colours!)

Mind blown. Not at the Revenge bit but the lightsaber colours being wrong.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

The term "maverick" comes from the Texas lawyer, politician, land baron and signer of the Texas Declaration of Independence, Samuel Augustus Maverick (July 23, 1803 – September 2, 1870).

His name as the source of the term "maverick," was first cited in 1867, which means "independently minded." Various accounts of the origins of the term held that Maverick came to be considered independently minded by his fellow ranchers because he refused to brand his cattle, though it might have instead reflected a lack of interest in ranching. Unbranded cattle which were not part of the herd came to be labeled "mavericks". He was the grandfather of Texas politician Maury Maverick, who coined the term gobbledygook.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

If China's new(ish) radio telescope's disc was filled with wine...

...there would be enough to give five bottles of the stuff to each of the Earth's 7 billion inhabitants.

Essentialy it's an inverted geodesic dome, which is formed with a mix of hexagonals,
    which in turn are formed by the strongest structure of all: triangles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Me. Earlier, showing me mates around. I look quite fetching in hose I'll have ye know. :D

wpid-Photo-Jul-22-2013-547-AM.jpg

You've got mates? :eek: :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭FluffyTowel

Hope this is new, as I only just discovered it myself.

Putting.full.stops.beween.your.words, instead of spaces, will change your Google search suggestions.

Searching for "Something random" (without quotes) suggests for me:

* Something random to say; or,
    * Something random to draw.

Fair enough.

Searching for "Something.random" (without quotes) suggests for me:

* Something random Kenya.

Damn that random Kenya.

It doesn't seem to happen with other punctuation marks. I figure that it's based on searches by our larger-fingered friends, who hit the full stop instead of the space bar when on a mobile, (although, of course, my hands are slim.and.dainty :D).

Give it a go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭PingTing comes for Fire

Hope this is new, as I only just discovered it myself.

Putting.full.stops.beween.your.words, instead of spaces, will change your Google search suggestions.

Searching for "Something random" (without quotes) suggests for me:

* Something random to draw.

Fair enough.

Searching for "Something.random" (without quotes) suggests for me:

* Something random Kenya.

Damn that random Kenya.

It doesn't seem to happen with other punctuation marks. I figure that it's based on searches by our larger-fingered friends, who hit the full stop instead of the space bar when on a mobile, (although, of course, my hands are slim.and.dainty :D).

Give it a go!

You can also add one or a number of minus words to any google search.
    No results that contain the minus word will return. eg -kenya

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

You've got mates? :eek: :D
    *crosses name from list* :mad::D

Funny enough the same LostinBlanch only last week while in his company informed me about Art Deco, that the deco bit was short for decorative. I did not know that. Art Nouveau(a design style I fcuking love, especially when the French and Spanish took it to luxurious extremes, just as they did with Deco) is obviously New Art and local versions of it were Moderne, Modernismo, or Jugendstil(Young style), but I never made the connection with Art Deco and decorative.

Though he also suggested that maybe it was a Dublin lad by the name of Declan had come up with the style and in the naming fashion of Dubs...

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

^^^^

ZxDOKzK.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

In the original Norse myths "Elf" (Álfr) is probably just an alternate word for dwarf and not a different race.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

During the recording sessions for Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid, Bob Dylan was working on a song that never made the cut as he could only get a chorus and refrain out of it. The song was abandoned. The demo was a spartan recording but as with most things Bob Dylan records, it ended up on collectors bootlegs under the title "Rock Me Mama" named after a line in the chorus.

Many years later, this demo piqued the interest of Chris "Critter" Fuqua and Ketch Secor of the band Old Show Medicine Crow. Secor wrote new lyrics around Dylan's chorus to flesh it out a bit. They wished to release the song but needed to get Dylan's permission, which he gave. They agreed on a 50/50 split of profits for the song now titled "Wagon Wheel." It would go on to be covered by what seems like everybody!

Thats right. Bob Dylan....Bob Dylan is to blame for Wagon Wheel. :D

The demo recording is below. Sound quality is not the greatest.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭aziz

Talking of Bob,I was amazed to find out that when he is not making music,he is out in his shed making gates

https://www.needsomefun.net/bob-dylan-iron-works-mood-swings/

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,346 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Wow! I really thought you were messing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

aziz wrote: »
    Talking of Bob,I was amazed to find out that when he is not making music,he is out in his shed making gates

Well colour me impressed - he turns out some damn nice stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,142 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Under intense fear, opossums fall into a comatose-like state that can last for hours, long enough to convince any predator that the opossum is dead. Fear causes these animals to emit a corpse-like smell that only adds to their act

I think i have found my spirit animal.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,346 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Well colour me impressed - he turns out some damn nice stuff!

I guess you could say he's changed genre, he's into metal now. :pac:

Fourier wrote: »
    In the original Norse myths "Elf" (Álfr) is probably just an alternate word for dwarf and not a different race.

Not quite. There are very fine distinctions between all the little people, especially in Iceland:
    jarðvergar (gnomes), álfar (elves), ljósálfar (fairies), dvergar (dwarves), ljúflingar (lovelings), tívar (mountain spirits), englar (angels) and huldufólk (hidden people).

They are all different "races" in a universe of their own :)

New Home wrote: »
    I guess you could say he's changed genre, he's into metal now. :pac:

Brava! :D
    Not quite. There are very fine distinctions between all the little people, especially in Iceland:
    jarðvergar (gnomes), álfar (elves), ljósálfar (fairies), dvergar (dwarves), ljúflingar (lovelings), tívar (mountain spirits), englar (angels) and huldufólk (hidden people).

My old boss (currently my overnight houseguest) used to call me The House Elf. I should probably sue him :pac: I'm not short though, I'm just really good at gravity.

Candie wrote: »
    My old boss (currently my overnight houseguest) used to call me The House Elf. I should probably sue him :pac: I'm not short though, I'm just really good at gravity.

The Chinese would say you are rooted to the centre of the world (a Tai Chi exercise to kind of gravitate downwards) :D.

Tell your old boss he can move into an álfhól (elf house), a garden feature at many Icelandic homes, very tiny, wooden and without all mod cons (elves don't need mod cons...).

The Chinese would say you are rooted to the centre of the world (a Tai Chi exercise to kind of gravitate downwards) :D.

Tell your old boss he can move into an álfhól (elf house), a garden feature at many Icelandic homes, very tiny, wooden and without all mod cons (elves don't need mod cons...).

Well I'm definitely not an elf, I love all my mod cons!

I do have a little elf door in a semi-hidden part of my living room baseboards, I only put there as a little fun for my niece and nephews to discover and totally not because I love a little whimsy.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭aziz

aziz wrote: »

Ever since I found this out I wondered how the conversation would go when some travellers knocked on his door

" Howya boss ,are ya interested in some gates"
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

I got it from this guy:

He's really good for Norse myth, though he's talking about the original Norse myths (i.e. Viking) not modern Icelandic ones.

It's at 17:00, though I was incorrect he's saying dwarf was just a word for a type of Elf (not the other way round as I had it).

I'm not sure how the Norse myths changed into the modern Icelandic ones.

(Every woman I've shown this guy to fancies him!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

*crosses name from list* :mad::D

Funny enough the same LostinBlanch only last week while in his company informed me about Art Deco, that the deco bit was short for decorative.
    Decoratifs mon ami monsieur, decoratifs. :cool:

Advertisement