Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Airshows 2019

• 24-01-2019 9:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭jasT1981

2019 Northern Ireland and Ireland Airshow dates.
    Newcastle Festival of Flight – Saturday 22nd June 2019

Weston’s Special Day of Flying – Saturday 6th July 2019

Foynes Airshow 2019 – Saturday 27th July (TBC)

Bray Air Display – Saturday 27th & Sunday 28th July 2019

Rush Airshow – Saturday 3rd August 2019

Birr Air Display – Monday August 5th 2019

Airwaves Portrush – Saturday 31st August & Sunday 1st September 2019

* All dates subject to licence and change

Newcastle is moving to June for 2019 subject to final approval, this is most likely to accommodate the Red Arrows as they will be on tour in North America during the normal August date for Newcastle.

Foynes date not confirmed, but is usually same weekend as Bray who officially announced their dates yesterday.

Portrush has listed Aug 31st/1st Sept as dates on a few FB comments but not officially posted the dates. No Red Arrows due to American tour.

Bray will also miss out on the Red Arrows in 2019. RIAT will be the final UK display of the Reds in the week before Bray.

Next year (2020) will see an additional event featuring air displays. Cork is expected to host an event July 12th - July 14th 2020 and an aircraft is already booked.

Rich Goodwin is the first confirmed display at Birr.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BZ

Read on another forum this morning that the foynes Airshow is cancelled this year as the main sponsor the IAA have pulled out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭RadioRetro

BZ wrote: »
    Read on another forum this morning that the foynes Airshow is cancelled this year as the main sponsor the IAA have pulled out.

https://jrnl.ie/4464454

• Registered Users Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭Storm 10

If they are going in a different direction as they say will that affect Bray hard to drop one in favour of another.
    the authority had reviewed its policy on Corporate Social Responsibility and had
    decided to focus its CSR activities in a different area, namely “targeted
    education and awareness programmes and opportunities”.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭jasT1981

Yes, sadly Foynes is cancelled :( I had listed the date as it is usually Bray weekend. Horrible to hear the news.

Royal Jordanian Falcon's have confirmed they will return for a 3rd year at Bray. European Airshows is reporting Bray will also see the Strikemaster pairs display and the CASA & PC9s from IAC. Not confirmed on the Bray end of things as of yet.

Portrush has so far confirmed Wildcat Aerobatics & Catalina.

Nothing 'officially' confirmed from Newcastle yet. I have been told a few things directly but I can't post them until it's signed off on.

Birr will release line-up on 10th May.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭Negative_G

RAF Tucano display team confirm their participation at Bray.

Wouldn't be surprised to see a joint display with PC-9s.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

Unless practised and also authorised by appropriate authorities, I don't think a joint display is likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭Negative_G

EchoIndia wrote: »
    Unless practised and also authorised by appropriate authorities, I don't think a joint display is likely.

People probably would have said the same about the Swiss formating with a civilian airliner. There was no practice for this. It was briefed in the days before hand and carried out as briefed. The IAA and anyone else didn't seem to cause too much of an issue either.

PC-9s and Tucanos have flown together in Irish airspace already. Doing a fairly basic display isn't as unlikely as you seem to think.

A joint display is not really likely, however a formation flypast is not out of the question. It happened not so long ago in Eniskillen. 2 PC9 & 2 Tucano

https://twitter.com/72Squadron/status/1002921735090507777

Red Arrows, Dakota and Tucano for Newcastle
    Tutor, Dakota, Tucano, Wildcat Aerobatics and Catalina for Portrush.

PC9s and Tucano displayed at Salthill over two years but never together.

• Advertisement

The Blades have Bray on their schedule, looks to be Sunday only.

Team Raven has 3 Irish airshows on their display schedule this year

July 27-28 Bray Airshow. Bray.
    Ireland.

August 3rd. Rush harbour festival.
    Rush. Ireland.

August 5th. Birr air display. Birr
    Ireland.

Bray line-up released, and I have to say. Very underwhelming. I hope there is more. But the Swedish don't have Bray on their list this year, and from what I hear the Norwegian's don't have any Irish displays. Strikemasters are a great display, as is Rich Goodwin, but the show has gone backwards since 2015 & 2016.
    A display by a fully electric aircraft that will take off from on top of a Broussard MH1521 aircraft while mid-flight

Aerobatic superstars The Blades; a team comprised of former Red Arrow pilots, including Kirsty Murphy – the first and only female former Red Arrow pilot who flies alongside her husband Ben

The spectacular Royal Jordanian Falcons aerobatic team all the way from the West Asian Kingdom

Jaw dropping, dare-devil displays by Ireland’s Flying Dentist, Eddie Goggins and the UK’s Richard Goodwin

Drone package delivery display – from a vessel moored at sea to the shoreline

Saturday’s display line-up includes:

Prepare to be amazed at the Irish Air Corps aerobatic antics

Watch the Irish Parachute Club and The Black Knights freefall onto Bray beach

Eddie Goggins, aka The Flying Dentist’s jaw-dropping performance

Old world glamour from the Irish Historic Flight Foundation Chipmunk and Stearman aircraft

Richard Goodwin – award-winning daredevil, renowned for mind-boggling displays in a modified aircraft

The Garda Air Support Unit

Vintage aviation style from P51 Miss Helen Mustang and a Royal Air Force Tucano

Search and Rescue display, honouring the selfless men and women who play such a key role safeguarding Irish lives

The pièce de résistance – Amazing aerobatic antics from the Royal Jordanian Falcons

Navette Bretonne – 100% electric aircraft. Ever seen an aircraft take off from on top of another aircraft?! This will have to be seen to be believed

Picture perfect formation display from the Ravens aerobatic team

Pilot Dave Bruton flying a super Sukhoi 31

In addition to the above, Sunday’s display line-up will also include:

The Aer Lingus Airbus A320 will be a showstopper

Exhilarating manoeuvres and mind-blowing aerobatic stunts from The Blades Aerobatic Team – Extra-300 aircraft flown just 12 feet apart

You’ll hear two Strikemaster aircraft before you’ll see them!

Not a very exciting display to be honest

I'm guessing this is part of the 'different direction' from IAA sponsorship that caused Foynes to be cancelled too.

Did any of you go to Newcastle yesterday? Absolutely brilliant day of flying. Last year was a washout and had to be cancelled, but yesterday was bright blue skies with very little cloud :)

Probably the strongest line up since NMD council took over the airshow from Down District Council back at the end of 2014. Wingwalkers, Rich Goodwin, Global Stars and Red Arrows seem to be many peoples highlights.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

jasT1981 wrote: »
    Did any of you go to Newcastle yesterday? Absolutely brilliant day of flying. Last year was a washout and had to be cancelled, but yesterday was bright blue skies with very little cloud :)

Probably the strongest line up since NMD council took over the airshow from Down District Council back at the end of 2014. Wingwalkers, Rich Goodwin, Global Stars and Red Arrows seem to be many peoples highlights.

Bit of chat here but not much.

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057989339/1/#post110505226

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Is1ldur

Can't see a dedicated thread for this. Lineup does not look special this year. I will go as it has become a bit of a pilgrimage for me, but a real lack of proper jets as far as I can see.

Edit - (Just saw the posts on the previous page seeming to back up my thoughts.)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

Is1ldur wrote: »
    Can't see a dedicated thread for this. Lineup does not look special this year. I will go as it has become a bit of a pilgrimage for me, but a real lack of proper jets as far as I can see.

Edit - (Just saw the posts on the previous page seeming to back up my thoughts.)

Agreed, Bray looks fairly boring this year, will probably go anyway though. The Falcons were a mess last year - one of the pilots was really struggling and they did not look professional at all.

You would not even know it was on this year they have been very quite about their line up compared to other years.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭Rock Solid

Very poor line up this year, probably one of the worst so far, no Viggen, no Vampires, no French Fougas, and no fast jet display team, the Red Arrows are over in the US but any other jet display would be nice, I won't be going this year as most of the Aircraft flying have been at pervious shows and can see them most days from Baldonnel.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Last Friday week, there was a twin prop red and white plane low flying over my farm in South Wicklow over and back all day
    No more than a 100ft most of the time,quite fast
    Its here doing the same again today
    I presume that's practice for the Bray air show?
    What kind of plane is this and what's it normally used for?
    I never seem to have the phone out in time for a direct overhead picture
    Who chooses that training route,does it need special permission or is it random?
    It passes here and is back in the opposite direction in about 10 mins
    Not office hours either as it was still at it on the friday after 7pm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Last Friday week, there was a twin prop red and white plane low flying over my farm in South Wicklow over and back all day
    No more than a 100ft most of the time,quite fast
    Its here doing the same again today
    I presume that's practice for the Bray air show?
    What kind of plane is this and what's it normally used for?
    I never seem to have the phone out in time for a direct overhead picture
    Who chooses that training route,does it need special permission or is it random?
    It passes here and is back in the opposite direction in about 10 mins
    Not office hours either as it was still at it on the friday after 7pm

Sounds like a survey flight. Google C-GSGF to see if that's what you saw.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭faoiarvok

Sounds like a survey flight. Google C-GSGF to see if that's what you saw.

Yeah, sounds like Survey 1

https://www.gsi.ie/en-ie/programmes-and-projects/tellus/Pages/default.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Looks like that's it alright!
    Unusual to see a plane so low here

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭prunudo

Thread is very quiet, 2 weeks since last post and 3 days to Bray. Wonder how the numbers will pan out with the lackluster line up.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Duffer2010

Weston don't seem to be charging this year to see the aircraft based there for the duration of the Bray airshow. Don't think they justify this anyhow.
    On this basis might be worth a visit. Does anyone know what will be there. Royal Jordanian Falcons already flew in earlier in the week.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,637 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

the site doesnt say what time the airshow will start, is it normally 2pm?
    It says the ground show starts at 12.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭vargoo

the site doesnt say what time the airshow will start, is it normally 2pm?
    It says the ground show starts at 12.

https://m.facebook.com/BrayAirDisplay/

Says 3

Duffer2010 wrote: »
    Weston don't seem to be charging this year to see the aircraft based there for the duration of the Bray airshow. Don't think they justify this anyhow.
    On this basis might be worth a visit. Does anyone know what will be there. Royal Jordanian Falcons already flew in earlier in the week.

Quite possibly because they will have very few aircraft to actually see. Car park at Weston appears to have been turned in to some sort of short/long term car park as well run by Excyte or similar. Haven't ventured in to ask what the story is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Zebrano

What kinda plane went over north county Dublin this afternoon about 4 o clock. Looked like a spitfire shape and was ridiculously loud I thought it was gonna come through the roof.

Advertisement