Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Northern Ireland question for under 40s

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37 pablo57

Interesting thread. As an Northern Irish person living in Dublin for the past two years, I'm not particularly surprised by the outlook. From my experience, people in the Republic generally know the basics of NI politics much better than vice versa (even in nationalist circles), though it's shocking how many people I've met in Dublin either have never been over the border, or haven't been in 20+ years.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 652 ✭✭✭DanielODonnell

It makes sense if they only care about their local region but if someone from Kerry cared about Donegal but not about Derry then it is a bit silly, it would go against the whole principle of Irish nationalism, caring more about Jimmy O'Donnell from Buncrana but not Jimmy Maguire from Enniskillen.

Any person of a Gaelic heritage should care about the protection of the Gaelic culture in Ulster, a culture that the unionists would like to see diluted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

Nothing makes me reach for the remote more quickly than a story about NI politics, I've no interest in hearing about it , visiting the place nor do I have any affinity with the people who live there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 66,769 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

A high percentage of southern people will typically be more upset by a football tackle by a British person than they would ever be about what the British army did to Irish people.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.
    I agree with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

I don't see why the Republic wouldn't want a UI, people can see short term costs but can't see the long term benefits?

How many Protestants in the Republic are agitating for the country to be run by London? In two generations it will be the same in the north, talking about partitioning the island again would have you treated like a lunatic.

I'll answer that one for you, as best I can.

Out of about 190,000 protestants in the Republic, the number "agitating" for governance by London would be probably less than 50.
    A small number if C of I clergy would be members of the Orange order, perhaps half of presbyterian clergy, and perhaps less than a dozen in the other various denominations.
    These would be obviously "pro-UK" in general.
    And these only because these churches tend to move clergy around, making no distinction between their northern and southern circuits.
    In border counties, you would have a few hardliners amongst the laity, but in 99% of Southern Protestants, they see themselves as Irish first and foremost.
    Most look northwards at the antics of their co-religionists with a mixture of bafflement, exasperation, and dismissal.
    Perhaps as a result of all these reasons, I see a fairly strong Pro-European mindset amongst Republic of Ireland protestants, because we have had a stomach full of religious interference in Government, both north and south of the border.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

I'm over 40 (by a long way) and I don't care about Northern Ireland.
    Did you assume the over 40s care?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

I feel like it's a foreign country so I don't particularly care about it. Wild horses wouldn't drag me and my southern registered car up there around the 12th July. If I open my mouth they can spot straight away that I'm not one of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

diomed wrote: »
    I'm over 40 (by a long way) and I don't care about Northern Ireland.
    Did you assume the over 40s care?

I'm almost double it and I too couldn't care less for a united Ireland. I like Northern Ireland, visit is many times each year, enjoy the people and attractions etc. but that's as far as it goes.

• Advertisement

I only care because i grew up close to the southern side of the border. We shop in our nearest big town, in the north. plenty of my schoolmates went to college up there.
    And now, it is part of my life because of my job.
    As regards a united Ireland ( if that's your question OP ) nah, i don't want them!

You should ask the under 25s who have no clue about the troubles and they couldn't care less. My friend's daughter (21) and all her buddies follow Gerry Adams on Twitter because ' he's so funny' !!!
    They have no interest in the politics or history of any of it.
    I can only hope that kids in the North are the same, then the future might be bright.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

I notice this with my sister who is 21.

I asked her about Martin McGuinness when I saw her over the weekend and I just got a blank stare, it dawned on me that she didn't even know who he was. I've probed her on other political issues before and have been left dumbfounded at the lack of basic knowledge.

She'd have zero affinity with Europe also. I suppose in fairness that's common enough on these islands. We don't tend to identify as 'European'.

She's a bright girl otherwise, just seems to have a total apathy for politics.

In fairness that's down to education. Everyone on this island should know who McGuinnes was.

• Registered Users Posts: 66,769 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I love the way the people who say they don't care, but care enough to post and that they think they are some part of an evolving class.
    There were always people on this island who didn't 'care'.
    We wouldn't have had 40 years of carnage and the decades of sectarian oppression before if southern people cared.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

You can bet most Irish do care. The North's heading to Brexit and a substantially poorer future. They're already the poorest part of the island economically and culturally. I think it's only fair to allow them to unite if and when the time comes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

I feel like it's a foreign country so I don't particularly care about it. Wild horses wouldn't drag me and my southern registered car up there around the 12th July. If I open my mouth they can spot straight away that I'm not one of them.

I never got the foreign country stuff, Ireland is Ireland - it always will be. Politically it may be divided between two states but the country is what it is. The notion that the Armagh football team, or Mary McAleese or Gerry Adams or whoever would be considered foreign is just silly to me. Likewise there aren towns, farms and even houses that are split by the border. The notion that one side of a community on the other edge of an arbitrary border drawn by British imperialists are somehow radically different is bogus and you can see that when you go to these areas.

As for the accents, I'm from Cork and people from Dublin will know that straight away when I open my mouth. It doesn't make me a "foreigner" per se.

I love the way the people who say they don't care, but care enough to post and that they think they are some part of an evolving class.
    There were always people on this island who didn't 'care'.
    We wouldn't have had 40 years of carnage and the decades of sectarian oppression before if southern people cared.

People are only answering the OPs questions Francie!!
    She wanted to know if people cared......

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I'm 42, born in Belfast, raised in Dublin as my family couldn't wait to escape the horrific violence in mid 1970s Belfast and whilst the troubles were definitely caused by the Orange Stormont governments pushing their luck after 1922, I have no desire for a united Ireland.

It would only bring more bloodshed, economic chaos and instability. I saw first hand what chaos does to a country and people and I never want that revisited on the island of Ireland.

Die hard dinosaur republicans might want to consider that.

FTA69 wrote: »
    I never got the foreign country stuff, Ireland is Ireland - it always will be. Politically it may be divided between two states but the country is what it is. The notion that the Armagh football team, or Mary McAleese or Gerry Adams or whoever would be considered foreign is just silly to me. Likewise there aren towns, farms and even houses that are split by the border. The notion that one side of a community on the other edge of an arbitrary border drawn by British imperialists are somehow radically different is bogus and you can see that when you go to these areas.

As for the accents, I'm from Cork and people from Dublin will know that straight away when I open my mouth. It doesn't make me a "foreigner" per se.

You might think it's silly but I'm not going to change my mind at this stage. I don't feel anything north of the border is Irish. I'm sorry if that offends people but that's the way it is. I don't believe anyone who plays for Armagh is as Irish as I am. I don't consider Gerry Adams to be Irish.

You might think it's silly but I'm not going to change my mind at this stage. I don't feel anything north of the border is Irish. I'm sorry if that offends people but that's the way it is. I don't believe anyone who plays for Armagh is as Irish as I am. I don't consider Gerry Adams to be Irish.

So nothing north of the border is Irish? What about Gaelscoileanna and hurling and traditional music? What would you call them? In what way would someone like Mary McAleese not be Irish?

An Irish speaking, Irish passport holder from one of Ireland's 32 counties would qualify as Irish for me, I can't see how you'd think different.

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭Conchir

I wouldn't be keen on a United Ireland. I see it as a different country basically, it's never been a part of Ireland for as long as I've been alive, or for my parents' lives. Obviously there's cultural ties along the way, but enough to warrant unification? Not enough for me.

Having said that, some people I went to school with are very strongly pro-reunification, so it's not possible to tar everyone under 40 with the same brush. If I was to take a guess though, I'd say more people fall into the indifferent/no to reunification camp than do into the pro-reunification side.

• Advertisement

I feel they're somewhat Irish but not as Irish as I am. They grew up in a country with a different upbringing, different government, different educational system, different environment. Not to mention the sympathy for IRA and Sinn Féin. It's like buying margarine instead of butter. It mostly does the same job but it's not the same.

I feel they're somewhat Irish but not as Irish as I am. They grew up in a country with a different upbringing, different government, different educational system, different environment. Not to mention the sympathy for IRA and Sinn Féin. It's like buying margarine instead of butter. It mostly does the same job but it's not the same.

Well I'm from Cork, have lived a third of my life in England and also supported Sinn Féin does that make me "less Irish"? I hardly think you can quantify someone's nationality based on support for a political party (most of whose supporters are in the south now anyway).

FTA69 wrote: »
    Well I'm from Cork, have lived a third of my life in England and also supported Sinn Féin does that make me "less Irish"? I hardly think you can quantify someone's nationality based on support for a political party (most of whose supporters are in the south now anyway).

You're twisting my words now and I see we're not going to agree on this. Let's just say if we have a referendum on a United Ireland, I will be ticking the NO box. G'night :D

If a referendum was held in the Republic on the question of a united Ireland, the republicans would be very sorely disappointed. I'd say about 70% would vote no.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I don't know why under 40's are a special case. I'm over and I don't care. I grew up in a border county and did care in my earlier years but in Dublin I live and work amongst so many nationalities, particularly EU that I just see the whole NI situation as being very petty and irrelevant now.

With power sharing I don't even think there is even a need to consider uniting the island.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Noddyholder

JupiterKid wrote: »
    I'm 42, born in Belfast, raised in Dublin as my family couldn't wait to escape the horrific violence in mid 1970s Belfast and whilst the troubles were definitely caused by the Orange Stormont governments pushing their luck after 1922, I have no desire for a united Ireland.

It would only bring more bloodshed, economic chaos and instability. I saw first hand what chaos does to a country and people and I never want that revisited on the island of Ireland.

Die hard dinosaur republicans might want to consider that.

What you mean by that ? You do know that all the main political Party's in the 26 support & would like unification, Lucky you that you got out, thousands didn't & were left to fend for themselves,

Iam well over 40 & certainly would like a united Ireland as would my children who are under 40 & do have an interest in our history & culture.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

If a referendum was held in the Republic on the question of a united Ireland, the republicans would be very sorely disappointed. I'd say about 70% would vote no.

I would vote no. The thing is that I'm 41. I'm old enough to remember the troubles. I don't want to see those times return. Northern Ireland is an incredibly delicate area. The slightest upset can see people going on the rampage and protesting. Anything bigger would see us return to the bad old days of paramilitary groups. blowing up people and shooting them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

steddyeddy wrote: »
    You can bet most Irish do care. The North's heading to Brexit and a substantially poorer future. They're already the poorest part of the island economically and culturally. I think it's only fair to allow them to unite if and when the time comes.
    Well judging by this thread and while not scientific it seems the Irish people couldn't give a toss.

What you mean by that ? You do know that all the main political Party's in the 26 support & would like unification, Lucky you that you got out, thousands didn't & were left to fend for themselves,

Iam well over 40 & certainly would like a united Ireland as would my children who are under 40 & do have an interest in our history & culture.

The major political parties (with the exception of the Shinners) would NOT support unification at any cost. Yes, my family got out of the mire, and I am grateful to my mother and father for wanting a peaceful environment for my sisters and I to grow up in, but most of my relatives remained in the North and I could see how they suffered.

Perhaps in the distant long-term, unification may be a workable possibility. But not for a number of generations yet. Not only the economic case against, but the immature and delicate political environment in NI shows that it would be foolhardy at best and invite a new Troubles at worst.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Noddyholder

Throw up a link for that will ya .or is that just in Jupitars world .

Advertisement