Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Brendan Dassey's conviction overturned

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

MadDog76 wrote: »
    That's big of you! :D

I'm the sheep dog :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭elefant

And here's the guy who watched a biased documentary and thinks he knows it all ;)

Sheep sheep sheep

Well, a judge has just quashed his conviction and spoken out very strongly against the prosecution for what they did to Brendan.

So now we have the documentary and a judge questioning his conviction. You sure you're not just being argumentative?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

Frynge wrote: »
    In fairness, it was a documentary on Netflix, yes it was entertaining but people in general should not be so arrogant so as to think the know all the ins and outs of a court case held over 5000 miles away.

I don't think Brendan's conviction was over-turned based on the documentary .......... it created public awareness of the case, as intended, and paved the way for this case to be reviewed as needed .......... but it was actual evidence, or lack thereof, that resulted in Brendan's prosecution crumbling ......... this is the first step in the right direction for looking at Stephen Avery's dubious conviction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

People who don't agree with you are morons? Says alot about you.

Documentary is totally biased.

Jury had all the facts and found them both guilty . You have a 10 part documentary and some Internet forums to Base your opinion on.

They didn't have the facts, they were fed a false story by the DA and the jury pool was tainted. This is well documented.

And it's not basing information on Internet forums, as I said the case files are public.

I'm the sheep dog :):)

Amongst other things .......... I happen to be the Shepherd! :P

• Advertisement

elefant wrote: »
    Well, a judge has just quashed his conviction and spoken out very strongly against the prosecution for what they did to Brendan.

So now we have the documentary and a judge questioning his conviction. You sure you're not just being argumentative?

Leave him off, he has no idea what he's talking about, he's repeating stuff he heard "cool" people say in work ..........

Amongst other things .......... I happen to be the Shepherd! :P

Shepherds pie for dinner tonight then ;)

Leave him off, he has no idea what he's talking about, he's repeating stuff he heard "cool" people say in work ..........

How did you know I work at the ice cream factory?

Shepherds pie for dinner tonight then ;)

And that says all that needs to be said about your understanding of the basics ......... you don't even realise that shepherd's pie isn't actually made from Shepherd's!! :D Nice try though. ;)

Anyway, back to the discussion at hand ......... I'm delighted that justice is finally prevailing in this case and the documentary can take a lot of credit for getting the ball rolling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

Sp surprising that someone can get convicted on such light evidence in this day and age.
    Brendan would have confessed to assassinating JFK, he really had no clue what was going on. Poor kid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭trickymicky

Correct me if I'm wrong which I probably am but if their releasing Brendan due to his testimony being forced should that mean it's inadmissible meaning Steven should be released as Brendan supposed testimony was a lot to do with his conviction?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

And here's the guy who watched a biased documentary and thinks he knows it all ;)

Sheep sheep sheep

I don't like Steven Avery, think his an unsavoury person. But the police have screwed him twice. He was proper framed for the haubach murder, he was in the process of sueing the county and he probably would have won and bankrupted the county...

That blonde vile and the truck turning up a few days before it was 'found' on Avery's land, super dodgy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Correct me if I'm wrong which I probably am but if their releasing Brendan due to his testimony being forced should that mean it's inadmissible meaning Steven should be released as Brendan supposed testimony was a lot to do with his conviction?

Brendan's coerced confession wasn't used in Stevens trial because it was made up. The prosecution wouldn't ever have put him on the stand. It was purely used for the pre-trial press conference to taint the public opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Frynge wrote: »
    In fairness, it was a documentary on Netflix, yes it was entertaining but people in general should not be so arrogant so as to think the know all the ins and outs of a court case held over 5000 miles away.

But ...but... tv?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,091 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Brendan Dassey has been released from prison today. Good luck to him rebuilding his life.

Did he get out in time for wrestlemania??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

He should skip bail and head to Canada. Lack of evidence won't stop them trying to convict him again.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,057 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Well there won't be a lack of evidence if he skips bail!

And Canada extradites to the US

• Registered Users Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

Where is Horatio Kane?

He would have found the right evidence!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Crackle

• Registered Users Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

Tilikum wrote: »
    Where exactly do you think he killed her? What did he do with all the blood?

As some one who grew up on a pig farm in the 80s where we slaugthered the odd one( pig that is! before ye conspiracy theorists ( on both sides of this imagionary fence) go mental) for our own consumption in the yard of the farm, i just want to point out that the next day Other than 2 half pigs hanging in the garage you wouldnt have known a pig was ever killed there.

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

GT_TDI_150 wrote: »
    As some one who grew up on a pig farm in the 80s where we slaugthered the odd one( pig that is! before ye conspiracy theorists ( on both sides of this imagionary fence) go mental) for our own consumption in the yard of the farm, i just want to point out that the next day Other than 2 half pigs hanging in the garage you wouldnt have known a pig was ever killed there.

;)

Including forensic evidence collected by so called experts?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

;)

I don't for a second believe that.

If you as much as farted at a crime scene, there are ways and means of linking it to you to know that yes it was you and you were definitely there, despite your protestations.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

;)

Maybe to the naked eye. But if a team of forensic detectives were called in it would be a different story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

If the two of them do get released they really need to move to another county or state. The local law will be all over them for anything like breaking a red light.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

He should skip bail and head to Canada. Lack of evidence won't stop them trying to convict him again.
    Feck that, he should sue for millions! Millions and millions. They ruined his life, humiliated him and abused the justice system to convict an innocent bystander because they didn't like his uncle.

Advertisement