Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

N plate

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I'm driving 7 years and I only passed my test this month due to laziness / frustration with the test. I'm not putting the plates up. The way other drivers treat you when you have any plates up to when you have no plates up is night and day.

Also I don't feel like a novice. And they look sh1t.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Yeah. I bet we'd find that a 25 year old with an N plate is not too different from any other 25 year old driver.

I was under the impression that the N Plate has nothing to do with age.

The "stats" only show what has happened. Saying more under 25's are in accidents, does not explain why more under 25's are in accidents.

The often chanted "Just because" isn't good enough. And it says a hell of a lot more about perception bias, than analysis.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Have you seen the size of the N plates?

Some say you can see the N plates from space :)

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Rachiee

In fairness I think new drivers in some cases may be better than experienced drivers. The test standard is really hard I think a lot of experienced drivers get into bad habits and would struggle to pass the test of they had to retake it after ten years

• Registered Users Posts: 40,102 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Rachiee wrote: »
    In fairness I think new drivers in some cases may be better than experienced drivers. The test standard is really hard I think a lot of experienced drivers get into bad habits and would struggle to pass the test of they had to retake it after ten years

the test standard is really hard?? the driving test is ridiculously easy. Confirmed by the number of people who pass and still cant drive properly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭daheff

soc wrote: »
    Personally I think it's a good idea... Just because someone passes their driving test, doesn't mean that they've clocked up enough experience behind the wheel - the N plate gives people time to do just that.
    That's why the penalty points on the N licence are less than on a full licence.
    Infracted wrote: »
    There should be an O plate for OAPs. The logic used for having such visible plates for Learner Drivers and Novice Drivers can be applied to OAPs. The plate lets other drivers know the type of driver they are dealing with and approach situations differently.

L plates, N Plates, O Plates, R Plates...what about E plates (experienced),I for insured, T for third party..... its like having road signs for every little thing around about.

Less is more in my opinion. L plates for learners only. Otherwise its bloody stupid & pointless.
    It just means the driver has only just passed their test and is only starting to drive unaccompanied. I genuinely don't see the problem?

Yeah right...most are driving unaccompanied since day 1...you know it, I know it, insurance cos know it...cops know it.
    AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Baby on board signs can serve a purpose though. In an accident they could tell emergency services that there is a child in the car which they might not see from outside otherwise.
    so you are telling me the emergency services cant find a baby without this small sign...they can see a small sign but not a baby??? If this is true we need to get sniffer dogs out with every ambulance to search for bodies at car crashes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Trent Houseboat

If it decreases the number of accidents, it can't be bad. Right?...right?

I don't see how it could have any effect other than making it look like those responsible for road safety are actually doing something.

The only thing the plate does is identify to others that the car as being driven by a newly qualified driver (fewer allowed points don't mean anything to anyone other than the driver and should really be a form of endorsement on their licence rather than a scarlet letter).

If we assume it to be a fact (because stated in this thread) that newly qualified drivers have a greater number of accidents, we still do not know the causes, then how many of these accidents are caused by other people not knowing that someone else has only passed their test?
    I'd be willing to imagine that it's almost none.
    It's more likely poor driving behaviour on the part of the newly qualified driver due to lack of experience, for which they can't be completely blamed.

It seems more likely that it was the idea of someone who wanted to be able to look back on their track record as having done something to justify their continued position as head of whatever policy writing group dreamed this up.
    And most importantly it cost the government nothing. Things like road maintenance, speed cameras and Gardaí cost money.

Which is annoying, but to be expected. The problem is that now it's on the books, it's not going anywhere. There will be no review of the rules in a few years to see if it actually worked, and scrapped if not.
    If the younger drivers continue to have a greater number of accidents further measures will probably just be heaped on them.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

One day in the sticker printing factory that had the job of printing 'L' plates, white sticker with bold and capitalised letter 'L', Bob who had been working there for 13 years was retiring.
    As a silly joke on his last day, he changed the letter from L to N, thinking to himself that the rest of the lads, specifically the QA lads would pick up his gag in a short space of time.
    3 weeks later, someone noticed. They had printed 1 million N stickers.

The decision was made by the company execs to hold 'L' plates to ransom and not print anymore until someone took the N stickers off thier hands. They found some lads in the government who saw this as a nice tidy way of lining thier pockets.

Problem solved.

It's Bobs fault.

Oh, and the genius drivers who put them on arseways and are now a 'Z' driver. Your licence should be revoked immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Z Cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭smeal

The first 6 months after I passed my test was definitely the time that I gathered up the most confidence, gathered the skills needed to assess tricky situations (because, ultimately I had no choice!), parallel park when I needed to as a matter of desperation at times etc etc. I think it's that sense of independence that ultimately makes you a good driver. Personally (and I know many might disagree) if I had have had the N plates after passing my test I don't think I would have gained this independence as much? At the back of my mind I would have felt constantly like a novice driver and maybe wouldn't have had gathered as much confidence all because of a sticker on my windscreen!

There's two types of drivers in my eyes- learners and qualified and I don't think there should be an in between. You earn your licence by a test!

Realistically, I don't see this changing the figures for accidents unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

the test standard is really hard?? the driving test is ridiculously easy. Confirmed by the number of people who pass and still cant drive properly.

You're joking right? Most people who fail the driving test don't do so because of incompetence, but because of the pettiness of the gobshíte sitting their with his clipboard. Failure rates around most of th country are higher than 50%.

thelad95 wrote: »
    You're joking right? Most people who fail the driving test don't do so because of incompetence, but because of the pettiness of the gobshíte sitting their with his clipboard. Failure rates around most of th country are higher than 50%.

So how many times have you failed your test? I know many people who have passed theirs first time. As did I. Once you do what you are meant to be doing and doing it in the correct manner it is quite straightforward. There is no mystery as to what the examiners look for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

daheff wrote: »
    so you are telling me the emergency services cant find a baby without this small sign...

Actually that's not what anyone is saying.

the driving test is ridiculously easy.

Nah it's not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

N plate.
    Just another label for the powers that be to place on you.
    We can't anyone running around without a label, now can we.........

Nah it's not.

its certainly not the ridiculously difficult test that some people are making out.

its certainly not the ridiculously difficult test that some people are making out.

That'd doesn't mean it's ridiculously easy though does it?

That'd doesn't mean it's ridiculously easy though does it?

hyperbole :D

hyperbole :D

That's the hardest part of the test.

I know someone who got marked down a thousand points for hyperbole.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Specialun wrote: »
    Whats your opinion of it....

It is complete nonsense imo. Because my daily driving experience tells me, that while some road users might have experience (length of time they have been driving). They appear to be completely bereft of driving competency. Indeed the simple driving concepts of observation, awareness and anticipation appears to be well beyond them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭Dr. Mantis Toboggan

mikom wrote: »
    N plate.
    Just another label for the powers that be to place on you.
    We can't anyone running around without a label, now can we.........

Yeah, man. It's the government trying to control us again. We're all just numbers.

Nothing to do with the fact that they're (misguidedly) trying to improve road safety for everyone. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Hans Bricks

Yeah, man. It's the government trying to control us again. We're all just numbers.

Nothing to do with the fact that they're (misguidedly) trying to improve road safety for everyone. :rolleyes:

I wouldn't equate figurative dunce hats for fully qualified drivers as "improving road safety". It's condescending and gives the "Why am I the only one who knows how use a dual carriageway in Ireland" brigade another stick to beat with.

*EDIT* Just saw misguidedly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭daheff

Actually that's not what anyone is saying.

That was a sarcastic over exaggeration.....don't worry, a lot of people don't understand it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Uncle Ben

Specialun wrote: »
    Maybe im a bit thick but i dont get the thinking behind this

Your either on a learner permt or full license...insurance companies dont recognise it

Drivers behind arnt going to go " oh a N driver I better be careful here" ...shirley if tneyve passed their test fairly and theyre allowed drive on their own whats the issue

Whats your opinion of it....

I was behind someone yesterday morning and they had the large N affixed to the headrest of the rear seat!
    I did think.... . 'he is a weird cnut, I'd better be careful here! Shirley

Advertisement