Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Moved abroad? Is it a let-down or amazing?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭nilsonmickey

Left 3 years ago. First year was tough but you adapt. Have met good friends now so well settled. Was home a few times and it just depresses me. Best move ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Irishguy16

Spent a bit of time in the US when I was younger, absolutely loved it, specially New Jersey, had a decent job, shared apartment, and everything that I needed. I never wanted to leave, the way of living was completely different than Ireland, and the weather was also really good in the summer. That was my happiest period abroad. I also moved to China for nearly a year, it was ok, I didn't mind most of the trip, but sometimes got frustrated, just such a different culture, food, way of thinking,etc... I always prefer living abroad than living in Ireland, and I always have more opportunites

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Sounds amazing, what a great way to live, in Ireland life revolves around alcohol, depression and bad weather

some of us actually like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

I've been living in Abu Dhabi for the past three years. Have had an amazing time, met great people, and broadened my horizons in any number of ways. Still, it's a small place and the landscape isn't all that diverse, so I''ll soon be packing up and heading off to Southern China for another three years. Hopefully the adventure will continue, but even if I dislike where I'm based, I'll be close enough to any number of new and exciting countries so I'm sure I'll be happy enough.

Tip of the day: if you get the chance to live abroad for a while, especially somewhere very abroad, then take it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

I'd say it's neither a let-down nor amazing; it's just life at this stage. The longer I am overseas the deeper my appreciation for Ireland grows, but I know living there just wouldn't work for me. Career-wise, socially or personally.

I lived in the US for almost a year, Canada for almost 4 years and have been in the UK for about a year and a half. For me it's about 1. the people and 2. the weather, in that order. US was like a year-long adrenalin ride as I was a student and surrounded by what then seemed like such a hysterically positive, happy and extroverted people compared to what we're like at home. That and the Californian sun, the skyscrapers, the scenery, the American men - all new and exciting.

Canada was like a very sober, sanitized version of the US. I had it all on paper, the job, the lifestyle, the weather, but deep down didn't feel as though I really fit in as the people seemed so very different. Their humour, their cultural references, the way they socialize was always an adjustment and I felt staying long-term would mean compromising my personality.

Now in the UK, I feel a lot more 'at home'. People are the same, by and large. They laugh at the same things, they socialize similarly, they grew up in the same culture, they relate to others in the same way. I can pull the piss and I can swear again without the stunned silences! The weather sucks though and the city - London - is far too big, crowded and noisy. Which is probably why I won't stay forever.

I think after a certain amount of time abroad, you become nomadic in your tendencies. For me, it has definitely played into my tendency to be stubbornly self sufficient and I find it hard to factor others into my plans, I'm so used to floating at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Considering our proximity "the UK" is a very unclear term, as you might be refering to anywhere from Belfast to London, to Cornwall to Birmingham, to Edinburgh, Oxford & beyond.

I have lived in the south of England (Surrey), which is, by and large fantastic :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,140 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Sounds amazing, what a great way to live, in Ireland life revolves around alcohol, depression and bad weather

What part of Ireland are you from?!?

Advertisement