Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Home Automation Bargain Alerts thread - No General Chat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

What makes them so much better? The 3 pack of hue seems to better value then the lifx bulbs.

Colors are way more vibrant. The light is brighter. They don't need a hub. I have no intention of buying any more Hues but would definitely buy more of these.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,776 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

tusk wrote: »
    Have a few Hue, LifX and Tradfrii. The LifX are by far the best. The app is great too. They usually go on sale down to about 36 pound. Expensive, but worth it for me over the hue bulbs

Jaysus, as luck would have it, they're down to the lowest price i've ever seen them!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=lifx&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

I found my Lifx bulbs to be the most trouble to set up. It was an absolute nightmare, so much so I sold them after about 20 failed attempts to get the second bulb to connect.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    I found my Lifx bulbs to be the most trouble to set up. It was an absolute nightmare, so much so I sold them after about 20 failed attempts to get the second bulb to connect.

Wow, I had absolutely no problems with mine, and one's in the attic :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 27,776 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

tusk wrote: »
    Wow, I had absolutely no problems with mine, and one's in the attic :eek:

Wouldn't connect at all. Spent ages onto Lifx customer service and they couldn't help either. Hue is a much better system overall and as far as I'm aware the new bulbs don't need a hub.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,079 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Only thing that's pointing me towards the hue bulbs is you get a 3 pack and a hub for 70 pound. Which would be better value overall as I'm just gonna sell the hub as already have one.

Plus Im happy with the hue bulbs I already have in sitting room. Think only thing which would turn me straight to another brand if where much cheaper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Krombopulos Michael

One of the things I like with my hue is the dimmer switch that can be physically mounted to a wall etc. and the remote magnetically detaches. I've not used Lifx but i'm just more invested into the hue ecosystem at this point.

One of the things I like with my hue is the dimmer switch that can be physically mounted to a wall etc. and the remote magnetically detaches. I've not used Lifx but i'm just more invested into the hue ecosystem at this point.

Yeah this is it. If you're in the ecosystem already, probably not worth the change. I originally only had the 1 hue before I got my LifX and defo prefer it.

Those yee lights look pretty decent though, may have to take a lookit.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,240 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I just use google home to adjust my yeelights.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,809 ✭✭✭AngelaRI

Perhaps not quite the right spot, but deal of the day bargain on Sennheiser HD4.50 Bluetooth Noise Cancelling headphones (fantastic quality, I've had a pair for a year with no visible wear showing): https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sennheiser-HD-4-50-Headphone-Cancellation-Black/dp/B07CKT8Z57?th=1
    £89.99 down from £179.99, ends in 5 hours. For comparison, Harvey Norman is having a flash sale for €159 and so is Currys

Edit: prime members only, for the matte black. Regular black is still a good deal at £119.99

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭THE ALM

FYI

Took a punt on these motion sensors on a prime deal as they were at £30 for the four, less than €10 each.

Mixed reviews with regards to setting up with smartthings so was a bit dubious but will have to say that they all got picked up and paired with the V2 hub straight away without any problems, no special device handlers required. Record motion and temperature so a cheap sensor at that price.

These Osram Smart+ products regularly pop up on different deals.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Silverfluffs

Time Limited lightning Offer - Light Wall Switch Cover for Philips Hue Dimmer Switch: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07PY5ZB2S/ref=pe_3187911_185740111_TE_item

£11.24 instead of £14.99 for the two pack.

THE ALM wrote: »
    Harmony Elite on a great deal

Elite back on a deal

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

eufy 15c is down to 186 on amazon uk

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭chuck eastwood

I ordered 3 of these last week and paid €29. Pretty good deal for 4.

Smart Plug WiFi Outlet TECKIN Mini Plug Works with Amazon Alexa, Google Home and IFTTT, Wireless Socket Remote Control Timer Plug Switch, No Hub Required 4 Packs (Upgrade Version) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07MNJ72SF/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_KNWoDbWQTW7SA

Smart Plug WiFi Outlet TECKIN Mini Plug Works with Amazon Alexa, Google Home and IFTTT, Wireless Socket Remote Control Timer Plug Switch, No Hub Required 4 Packs (Upgrade Version) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07MNJ72SF/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_KNWoDbWQTW7SA

Thanks, picked these up, been meaning to for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Krombopulos Michael

I have these at home and they are great and i've connected to my Echo Dot too. Easy to use and nice and neat.

I use them with the smartlife app. Let's you automate schedules and set up various groups and timing situations great for outdoor strip lights, hall lights for kids at night and powering off tv/sky box etc at night to avoid wasting power on standby costs

Deal on a Hue Play double pack

• Registered Users Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭Alkers

THE ALM wrote: »
    Deal on a Hue Play double pack

Has anyone used these? Verdict? Would you need the two for the full effect?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,240 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I use them with the smartlife app. Let's you automate schedules and set up various groups and timing situations great for outdoor strip lights, hall lights for kids at night and powering off tv/sky box etc at night to avoid wasting power on standby costs

Standby costs are minimal, so much that you’ll seldom recover the cost of the device

ted1 wrote: »
    Standby costs are minimal, so much that you’ll seldom recover the cost of the device

It's only a small aspect of them

I'm saving a fortune turning off the missus straightner from the office!

I'd say I've made the cost back already :pac::pac::pac:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

limnam wrote: »
    It's only a small aspect of them

I'm saving a fortune turning off the missus straightner from the office!

I'd say I've made the cost back already :pac::pac::pac:

On devices like TV's, the smart plug could well be using more power then a TV on standby.

Under EU law, any TV sold in the last 10 years has to use a max of 0.5w in standby mode. By comparison, some of the smart plugs I have average usage is about 1.5w.

Of course there are some devices and circumstances where they can save money. But it definitely isn't a given the way people think.

bk wrote: »
    On devices like TV's, the smart plug could well be using more power then a TV on standby.

Under EU law, any TV sold in the last 10 years has to use a max of 0.5w in standby mode. By comparison, some of the smart plugs I have average usage is about 1.5w.

Of course there are some devices and circumstances where they can save money. But it definitely isn't a given the way people think.

Sure. I wasn't stating I was saving money from that. I was referring to turning off the straighter ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I think they're great as she is a sucker for leaving everything on....

Only thing now is an invention to put out candles which are left.....

Meh, but I don't have to get out of bed to turn on the hall light so the kids don't fall down the stairs and I can have thete bedroom lamps on timed schedules like alarm clocks to wake them up. Nothing about smart devices solar panels PV yadda yadda is really about saving money when you look at the cost of buying and being ripped off by installers. Little gadgets like this just make my l life easier

Plus both of my tvs are about 8byears old. Sky box, Tony and blue ray players for the kids all fron the one socket. Again it's not about recovering cost, it's about less waste and ease of use

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Plus both of my tvs are about 8byears old. Sky box, Tony and blue ray players for the kids all fron the one socket. Again it's not about recovering cost, it's about less waste and ease of use

Careful though, cutting power to devices like these without first putting them into sleep mode can damage them. They are pretty much computers.

Also a lot of these type of devices expect to be left in standby over night as they get software updates, etc.

A Harmony Hub to put them into standby would be healthier for devices like these then the blunt instrument that a smart plug is.

• Advertisement

bk wrote: »
    Careful though, cutting power to devices like these without first putting them into sleep mode can damage them. They are pretty much computers.

Also a lot of these type of devices expect to be left in standby over night as they get software updates, etc.

A Harmony Hub to put them into standby would be healthier for devices like these then the blunt instrument that a smart plug is.

Excuse the cruel amount of typos above. Feeding time at the zoo. Good point about cutting power without standby but I've never heard of that being an issue with anything other than an actual dedicated pc.
    I looked at the Harmony Hub a few weeks ago and there is no way I could justify paying that price but it does seem like a decent idea

Advertisement