Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

CAT6 house cabling

• 20-06-2019 12:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

Hi Everyone

Not sure if this board is the best place to ask but has anyone done CAT6 cabling in their home? I am shortly moving into a new house and would like to organize someone to do such work for me. Not even sure where to ask and what cost to expect for doing such work (know the cable/hardware cost etc)

Would anyone kindly point me in the right direction if they have previous experience?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭Dr4gul4

tkrysiak wrote: »
    Hi Everyone

Not sure if this board is the best place to ask but has anyone done CAT6 cabling in their home? I am shortly moving into a new house and would like to organize someone to do such work for me. Not even sure where to ask and what cost to expect for doing such work (know the cable/hardware cost etc)

Would anyone kindly point me in the right direction if they have previous experience?

I put in a few points here round the house when we moved in, I had an electrical company install them for me.

Process is house dependent however, chase plasterboard, cut ceilings, all to route back to one singular point.

If you're getting it done, put in 2 if not three points around the usual areas. and maybe think about wifi points, in ceilings also ..

Oh and be sure to ask if they can repair the damage caused after. some painting will required .

Shielded cat 6 might be worth installing also, in case of electrical interference, I found this was an issue with HDMI Senders :(

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭tkrysiak

Dr4gul4 wrote: »
    I put in a few points here round the house when we moved in, I had an electrical company install them for me.

Process is house dependent however, chase plasterboard, cut ceilings, all to route back to one singular point.

If you're getting it done, put in 2 if not three points around the usual areas. and maybe think about wifi points, in ceilings also ..

Oh and be sure to ask if they can repair the damage caused after. some painting will required .

Shielded cat 6 might be worth installing also, in case of electrical interference, I found this was an issue with HDMI Senders :(

Yes, was thinking of shielded cable - it is a once off job, no point saving a few euro on a cable (well ok not a few but you get my point)

May I ask how much did it hurt your wallet more less?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Dr4gul4 wrote: »

Yes, was thinking of shielded cable - it is a once off job, no point saving a few euro on a cable (well ok not a few but you get my point)

The most important bit is the design, as in selecting where and how many runs you need. The rest is just pulling cable and terminating, any good electrician should be able to do it, or if you are handy, just get them to pull the cable and terminate it yourself, it's not that difficult, just need some tools and testers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭Dr4gul4

I'd love to tell you, but we bundled the work with other jobs such as replacing lights with down lights etc .. so over all i haven't a clue at all ..

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Chopper83

Just had this complete on my new build which I'm about to move into, CAT 6 in all the main rooms and bedrooms.

I've ran all the cables back to under the stairs, i'll need to buy a switch with probably 16 ports. Future proof.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

ah brings me back to when I asked for network points to be installed on our build and the idiot installer used RJ11 plates on all the walls to wire the Cat6 cable into, had to call them back

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I have CAT 7 running through the house, ran 2 points to all bedrooms, 4 to the office, 8 to where the main entertainment setup is, and a few other random points (where you want cameras, alarms, access points, etc). They all feed into a cabinet in the basement. I have 32 port switch which is now full, will be adding an extra switch at some point.

Just a few things to be aware of, have enough power points where you terminate everything, consider using POE for cameras, alarms, access points, etc. If you are not sure whether you want to run cables somewhere, then put in some empty conduit so it will be easy later if you change your mind.

I think I paid around 3K, but that included cabinet, patch panel, switch and I also think there was a satellite installation with a multiswtich included in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Cabaal wrote: »
    ah brings me back to when I asked for network points to be installed on our build and the idiot installer used RJ11 plates on all the walls to wire the Cat6 cable into, had to call them back

:rolleyes:

When we were viewing our house, the EA was making a big fuss about it all being wired up for network. As he made a point of mentioning it I had a quick look. Yup, all 4 bedrooms cabled up with RJ11 phone ports fed back to the BT master socket. . . lots of use that! He didn't even understand when I explained it to him.

Anyway, soon to be remedied.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Amazon has some very good value cabinets, patch panels and Netgear switches - much cheaper than what my electrician was quoting. While wired is always going to be better some of rhe mesh routers are pretty good. I have an Orbi to compliment my wired network and it's excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Chopper83

digitaldr wrote: »
    Amazon has some very good value cabinets, patch panels and Netgear switches - much cheaper than what my electrician was quoting. While wired is always going to be better some of rhe mesh routers are pretty good. I have an Orbi to compliment my wired network and it's excellent.

I need to buy a switch for my new build, any recommendations? 16 port I think. Why do you need a patch panel?

Apologies for hijacking the thread OP!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

I got a 24 port Netgear unmanaged switch from Amazon - it's gone up in price a but there's also a very well reviewed TP link one https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003UWXFM0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_WAneDb7BFQPDA

I've bought lots of TP link stuff before and never had an issue.

My electrician recommended a patch panel. I was a bit dubious and it's not really necessary for home networking. I'm glad I went for it though as it has kept things a bit neater especially for stuff like the hdmi and USB over cat6 from my cctv box to the TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭tech

Hi Jestwe, would like to see some pics of your setup, sounds very impressive.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

In my opinion shielded cabling isn't needed in houses. I'd rather spend the money on more well placed points and a good router set up.

Not having all the data points running to the consumer unit , like say to the attic, would generally take them away from the main concentration of electrical cables, plus houses are usually single phase.
    In my opinion top of the range cabling with shielding is really for environments that have a lot more electrical noise than a house.
    Each to their own .

Data points to the lightswitches as recommended by wexford man back to the consumer unit is a good idea imo, these would just be unterminated cables for light switches for smart home future proofing. I'd love that in my house

• Registered Users Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

jester77 wrote: »
    I have CAT 7 running through the house, ran 2 points to all bedrooms, 4 to the office, 8 to where the main entertainment setup is, and a few other random points (where you want cameras, alarms, access points, etc). They all feed into a cabinet in the basement. I have 32 port switch which is now full, will be adding an extra switch at some point.
    Will you need to be pulling new cables for that? Can I ask what you think you'll be requiring the extra ports for? It seems like a well specc'ed setup as it currently stands.
    Are you using the 8 into the main entertainment point?

Will you need to be pulling new cables for that? Can I ask what you think you'll be requiring the extra ports for? It seems like a well specc'ed setup as it currently stands.
    Are you using the 8 into the main entertainment point?

I had them all setup when building the house. The extra ports disappear very quick, in my server rack are a few Pi's, a NAS (uses 2 ports), server (uses 4 ports), UPS, ATA box, POE adapters, and a small router that I am using to tide me over.

You'd be surprised how quick 8 ports get used. TV, A/V Receiver, Satellite box, Chromecast with Eth adapter, Apple TV, Nintendo Switch, Xbox and phone receiver. The phone receiver could be moved, but the rest not really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭tech

any pics jester? sounds cool

It's a really basic setup right now, this is how it looked a while back. I will replace the switch, get a better router, and a rack mounted NAS at some stage. I want to run a private LAN, guest LAN and an IOT LAN. Just don't have the time at the moment.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Sister is getting a old house rewired is it worth putting down cat 6 cable

bigpink wrote: »
    Sister is getting a old house rewired is it worth putting down cat 6 cable

Absolutely no question about it. The only thing to consider is how much, and where.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Absolutely no question about it. The only thing to consider is how much, and where.

What’s the advantage?

• Advertisement

bigpink wrote: »

What’s the advantage?

The advantage of having data cabling ?

For high bandwidth services, not using wifi, which is unstable.
    For wifi itself,.as the backbone for your wifi network.
    For current and future services such as streaming tv which will never be as stable or reliable using wifi.
    The more devices you can migrate to your wired network, the better your experience will be on your wifi network.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

bigpink wrote:
    What’s the advantage?

For high bandwidth services, not using wifi, which is unstable. For wifi itself,.as the backbone for your wifi network. For current and future services such as streaming tv which will never be as stable or reliable using wifi. The more devices you can migrate to your wired network, the better your experience will be on your wifi network.

Just to add to that,

No passwords, so you can change up your wifi provider etc without having to change the password on a wired device.

Wired connections are far more secure, apart from some congestion at active hardware points they don't share their connections (generally speaking)

There are many devices like cameras etc that are billed at having wired and wireless connections but work far better when wired

Some devices low powered ones run better on wired connections, you can turn off wireless and free up some processing power

Some devices can get power and data over wireless POE, some cameras, lights etc.

With LED lamps some manufacturers have up to 4 office style fittings powered and controlled via one data cable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Wireless is a shared medium, all your wireless devices share a frequency, they actually take turns talking. A cable does two way traffic using different pairs of cores. To get the best from your wireless you should cable everything static and keep wireless for mobility, for the devices that actually need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭paulgrogan.eu

Hey guys,

Nice thread here. So in my house I've just got regular RJ11 telephone points, but they are wired with Cat 5 cable and appear to come back to a central box, which is located outside my house on the wall. I'm assuming this is where the traditional eircom telephone line comes in.

My question is, can I simply replace the faceplates with RJ45 plates, and then cut back the cabling outside and terminate each wire into a switch. Or am I missing a potential hurdle!?

Advice / guidance appreciated.

P.

Hey guys,

Nice thread here. So in my house I've just got regular RJ11 telephone points, but they are wired with Cat 5 cable and appear to come back to a central box, which is located outside my house on the wall. I'm assuming this is where the traditional eircom telephone line comes in.

My question is, can I simply replace the faceplates with RJ45 plates, and then cut back the cabling outside and terminate each wire into a switch. Or am I missing a potential hurdle!?

P.

That's an unusual way to have done it. How many points, and can you post up a few photos ?

Can you def pull the cable from the external junction box back in ?

Hey guys,

P.

Cat 5 cable became so inexpensive that some used it as their data cable regardless

It was a decent future proof move too and in the odd spec

If they all go back to a central point then there is no issue terminating them as rj45 outlets

Stoner wrote: »
    Cat 5 cable became so inexpensive that some used it as their data cable regardless

It was a decent future proof move too and in the odd spec

If they all go back to a central point then there is no issue terminating them as rj45 outlets

But if they all go to an external junction box, how can they be used unless he can pull them back in ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

It does sound like an interesting case. It could be a real bonus that they've used cat5, it's this external junction box that raises curiosity. @paulgrogan.eu lash up a few pictures there

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭paulgrogan.eu

Thanks for the replies everyone. Will grab some pics later for sure, as I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has done something like this as surely I can't be in a unique situation.

So the house was built in 2006 before I bought it, so obviously that's why CAT5/RJ45 plates back to a central point weren't run in the first place naturally. So essentially a telephone network was installed with points in the usual places, under the stairs, master bedroom, sitting room etc.

But yeah, there's a small little box located underneath the ESB box (separate obviously) where a bunch of CAT5's appear to come back too and I'm obviously assuming they are all the points around the house coming back to a central location.

Now in terms of getting them into my server room and into a patch panel, I think the only option I'm going to have here is to run some external piping, and then use gel connectors to join up the wires at the external box and run them along the wall and into my comms room which is located at an external wall.

Grim enough work, but obviously saves me lots of drilling / plastering etc internally. Luckily the external box is on the same wall as the entry point to my comms room.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replies everyone. Will grab some pics later for sure, as I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has done something like this as surely I can't be in a unique situation.

So the house was built in 2006 before I bought it, so obviously that's why CAT5/RJ45 plates back to a central point weren't run in the first place naturally. So essentially a telephone network was installed with points in the usual places, under the stairs, master bedroom, sitting room etc.

But yeah, there's a small little box located underneath the ESB box (separate obviously) where a bunch of CAT5's appear to come back too and I'm obviously assuming they are all the points around the house coming back to a central location.

Now in terms of getting them into my server room and into a patch panel, I think the only option I'm going to have here is to run some external piping, and then use gel connectors to join up the wires at the external box and run them along the wall and into my comms room which is located at an external wall.

Grim enough work, but obviously saves me lots of drilling / plastering etc internally. Luckily the external box is on the same wall as the entry point to my comms room.

Unless of course all the cat cables were routed up to the attic and then out to the distribution points ?

Advertisement