Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How many reading this have an actual contract?

• 07-07-2019 2:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭

I mean an actual physical piece of paper with signatures etc!!

Most teachers I've talked to have just been told what category their contract is, and that's that. Is there a statutory obligation on a school to provide a written contract or does a verbal one suffice?

Were you given a written contract? 24 votes

Yes I was given one but had to ask for it.
    58% 14 votes
    Yes I was given one automatically.
    0% 0 votes
    No, only told what type of category the role was.
    41% 10 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,390 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I do, a teaching one and one for my post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Over the years I had written contracts some years and none other years. I was given my CID contract in writing though. Several times the ETB issued a "contract" that was just a statement of hours and objective reasons for it not to added to my long held part time CID - no signature from me required. Foolishly I accepted this for a number of years as I didn't want to cause trouble, and later discovered these "contracts" would have been laughed out of arbitration and I would have had my full CID a lot sooner. Since then I have seen about three quarters of contracts checked by my union branch rejected as unacceptable, with teachers benefiting from proper contracts once the Etb is brought to task on it. They are getting away with a multitude though for all the people who just accept it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

I have my actual CID contract but was never given an actual contract for my AP post.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Ladyrunrunrun

Can I ask how I go about requesting a contract?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Can I ask how I go about requesting a contract?

Ask the school secretary, deputy or principal. Dunno if it's different for ETB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Am I correct in assuming that all of these issues: eligilibity for contracts, contract type, legal obligations of employer and contractual rights of employee and so on are not thoroughly covered in the final months of teacher qualification? To prepare people to make huge decisions about their future.

If that is the case no wonder many (including myself let me hastily add) are at such a loss.

Maybe less of Plato's cave and more of the above might stand teachers in better stead. Is it any wonder employers run rings around employees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Corkgirl18

bobbyss wrote: »
    Am I correct in assuming that all of these issues: eligilibity for contracts, contract type, legal obligations of employer and contractual rights of employee and so on are not thoroughly covered in the final months of teacher qualification? To prepare people to make huge decisions about their future.

Thoroughly covered? Nothing of the sort was even mentioned to my year anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Not ever mentioned.

It was covered when I trained both by our tutor and a union session was also facilitated covering this information. I didn't lack knowledge. I was just initially naive as the older principal treated me fairly and I assumed the same would continue with new principal. I waited for my 4 additional years to get my CID increased to full time, then bam, suddenly my contract changed to job share and it was gone. Then I was afraid to rock the boat in a school where new principal was openly hostile to the union and where the long term staff had let a situation develop whereby there was no union rep and general apathy about the union, and so new management was free to just walked all over everyone.

Incidentally I was advised that not having a contract was more beneficial, and not to go looking for one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Yep. ETB seem to do things very by the book.

• Advertisement

Noveight wrote: »
    Yep. ETB seem to do things very by the book.

My experiences were with an ETB. They do things by the book when it suits them but are in breach of employment law and ignore agreed procedures and policies when they feel like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Some ETBs are good. Some are bad. Just like the DES schools.

Advertisement