Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is there anyone in your family you don't talk to?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Kenpo

I'm a psychotherapist and specialize in family estrangement.

It's a huge issue with one piece of research theorizing it affects 1 in 5 families in the UK (https://www.standalone.org.uk/).

From my experience, this figure could be higher but many don't disclose as they might not recognize their situation as being estrangement or are afraid of the societal stigma associated with not having a close relationship with family.

Estrangement is fundamentally about distance, but this distance sits on a continuum: On one end we have emotional estrangements, where people still see each other regularly (perhaps due to circumstances) but put up boundaries around communication (e.g. limited topics of discussion). The other end is a physical estrangement which can range from never seeing/speaking to a person to extreme examples of changing address and even changing their name to create as much distance as a possible.

The reasons for estrangement vary massively, including overt and covert unhealthy behaviours, unrealistic expectations, conflicting values/beliefs, miss-communication, etc. The type and amount of distance depends on the level of stress each individual feels around the estranged parties.

I've done some research on the experience of estrangement here in Ireland which I hope to get peer reviewed. Sadness, anger, fear and guilt are all very common (irrespective of whether the estrangement was voluntary or involuntary), but uncertainty and doubt were particularly evident. The uncertainties could be around the decision to estrange, who within the family to tell, how to manage future family events, how long the estrangement will last, etc. Ambiguous gain is also common where there are both negative and positive consequences, such as reduced stress and increased independence.

For the OP, many people will tell you what you should/shouldn't do but rarely do they have enough context to offer accurate advice. Ultimately, you are the one having to deal with the stress and have to make the right choice for your well being (as well as for the people close to you).

I have a 'CLOSED' FB Family Estrangement Support Page where people can share their struggles and I post research and answers any questions:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/familyestrangementsupport

Hope this was helpful.

Take care
    Karl
    www.karlmelvin.com

• Registered Users Posts: 16,466 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Great to see some professional insight on Family estrangement.

I can only speak to my own experience.
    I do have many friends and relatives who's familiies are what many would consider "normal".
    Not quite the Walton's ;) but the family conflict gets resolved and stays relatively contained.
    I do however have some, including myself who reached a point in life where it became too much and choices were made.
    The Irish family tradition of what happens at home stays at home is still quite prevelant and just because people dont talk, doesnt mean these issues dont happen

In my own case, the death of my Mother was the last straw in my putting myself at harm by continuing some relationships.
    My mother(and no doubt many other's one too) was the centre of family life.
    Fights, insults, grievance and even outright hatred were put aside to keep Mam happy, to have a quiet christmas, to avoid having her take sides or even have to listen her giving out ;)

There was no will, no estate, no property for the rest of us to fall out over.
    What there was, was an Epiphany for me at least...
    In that I recognised a lot of my family as being little better than animals!
    Eat, sleep and Fúck while extracting anything of benefit they could from those around them!

The lack of respect shown our Mother in her Death and their grief by her children and husband ;)
    Was the last straw for me and after 35yrs of being "the eldest", I stepped away from all of them bar my youngest brother who I am still close too.

What started as placing a little distance between my home and the rest of my family in not calling round, in putting my wife and child first turned into me being happier than I had been in quite a while.
    It took about 2yrs to develop into actually realizing that the effect the rest of my family had on me was extremely toxic.

My kid still see's his uncles, aunts and cousins, and I still see my nieces and nephews.
    My problems with them are not his and I'm not going to fight my battles through him ;)
    He's a young adult, my job is to equip him to deal with people good and bad, to allow him make his way in life in the happiest and healthiest way I can.
    For him to do that, I cant force him to hate people nor would I.
    I can and do hope however that he learns the lessons I did, a lot younger and with a lot less pain

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭The pink killer

I use to get on well with all of them but as i got older i found they are all annoying bitchy *****.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭katiek102010

None on my side but we don't speak to in laws and haven't for about 15 years. His siblings are not around his age. 2 older 10 and 8 years older and then 2 a lot younger born after he left home.

Oh has ASD and grew up in a family where there was extensive physical and emotional abuse directed at him only.

He wasn't diagnosed until he ran away from home at 14. Initially for the first years we were together I struggled to understand how he had distanced himself from them and actively trued to encourage a relationship. It wasn't until a few years passed and I got him to open up and I realised what he went through.

He has scarring on his body from beatings from him alcoholic father and mother ignored it and wouldn't allow him to get GP help for wounds so they never healed properly. His cousin's just older were actually removed from parents over similar treatment.

While undergoing therapy 15 years ago he was encouraged to discuss what happened when he was younger and speak to her about his diagnosis etc and ask why she never sought help etc as a child. She lost it with him and then his siblings etc all started on him for upsetting darling mummy.

They don't even know where we live. I have heard on the grapevine that she was looking for him a few years ago. About 2 years after we moved she must have written to last know address and post was returned.

We only live about 10k away from her currently but siblings all live abroad. As far as she's aware we live abroad too.

She doesn't as far as I'm aware even know she has a grandchild and from what I know of her she will never be let near him

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

None on my side but we don't speak to in laws and haven't for about 15 years. His siblings are not around his age. 2 older 10 and 8 years older and then 2 a lot younger born after he left home.

Oh has ASD and grew up in a family where there was extensive physical and emotional abuse directed at him only.

He wasn't diagnosed until he ran away from home at 14. Initially for the first years we were together I struggled to understand how he had distanced himself from them and actively trued to encourage a relationship. It wasn't until a few years passed and I got him to open up and I realised what he went through.

He has scarring on his body from beatings from him alcoholic father and mother ignored it and wouldn't allow him to get GP help for wounds so they never healed properly. His cousin's just older were actually removed from parents over similar treatment.

While undergoing therapy 15 years ago he was encouraged to discuss what happened when he was younger and speak to her about his diagnosis etc and ask why she never sought help etc as a child. She lost it with him and then his siblings etc all started on him for upsetting darling mummy.

They don't even know where we live. I have heard on the grapevine that she was looking for him a few years ago. About 2 years after we moved she must have written to last know address and post was returned.

We only live about 10k away from her currently but siblings all live abroad. As far as she's aware we live abroad too.

She doesn't as far as I'm aware even know she has a grandchild and from what I know of her she will never be let near him
    That's horrific.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

She deserves to be told **** right off. :mad:

I'm not a fan of "forgiveness is for you, not them" in extreme cases like this. **** that - some people should not be forgiven.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭katiek102010

That's horrific.

It is yes. I'm honestly not surprised he doesn't want anything to do with them. If he had opened up initially I would never have pushed him to have some sort of relationship with them however that didn't come until later when he had therapy.

I do wish I had let things lie however he is a lot better having no contact with them. Of course the younger 2 have no clue what father was like as she was pregnant with the youngest and the other was only a baby.

The older 2 should know better. One is a intellectual disability nurse and the others oh is a special needs teacher, however, they are of the opinion thats how it was done in those days and Mummy was as much of a victim as daddy was a violent alcoholic.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Jenna James

eviltwin wrote: »
    What else can you do when your family treat you like dirt, when they are toxic and damaging to your mental health and sense of security? I don't know anyone that is happy to be estranged from a family member, it's a personal tragedy to have no relationship with the people who are meant to be your closest allies. Please don't judge.

I've estranged myself from 1 person in my immediate family in the last 12 months. Not a day goes by when I think about them but I know it was the right decision. The pain is raw.

By association, a sibling has closed ranks and we're not connected anymore either.

I wouldn't wish this on anyone but the alternative is worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭decky1

Wife.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭heretochat

Black sheep of my family and haven't spoken to some of them in over 10 years.

Don't miss their cr%p and am frankly doing far better without any of them in my life.

• Advertisement

My immediate family are all great, but there's one branch of the extended family I refuse to have anything to do with, bar one. That one is worth the rest of them added up together and multiplied by a zillion.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 cristali

My husband, after he told me he hopes I die of cancer being frustrated coz he didn't know how to boom flight tickets and I didn't wanted to do it for him 😊

cristali wrote: »
    My husband, after he told me he hopes I die of cancer being frustrated coz he didn't know how to boom flight tickets and I didn't wanted to do it for him ��

That seems very hurtful. I hope you're okay. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,198 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

My husband, after he told me he hopes I die of cancer being frustrated coz he didn't know how to boom flight tickets and I didn't wanted to do it for him ��

Good God :eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 46 cristali

Candie wrote: »
    That seems very hurtful. I hope you're okay. :)

Thank you, what's worse is that I'm 12 weeks pregnant and these outbursts make me have doubts big time but ... it will be ok one way or the other 😊

Thank you, what's worse is that I'm 12 weeks pregnant and these outbursts make me have doubts big time but ... it will be ok one way or the other ��

Ah jeez :( You need more kindness than usual, not less. That must be very hard to deal with.

Please take care of yourself and put yourself first. Congratulations on the baby and I hope everything works out for the best. X

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Not me as such, my my father doesn't speak to me. But then he chooses not to speak to lots of people for his own reasons.

Doesn't bother me overly, he's missed out on his grandchildren growing up and into adulthood too. Totally his choice so his loss, I'm busy enough making a life with my family and looking to their future and my own when its time one of them makes me a grandad.

I don't understand not speaking to people, if I have a problem with someone I'll try my best to sort it out and move on.. Holding onto resentment and hatred for someone is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

I've estranged myself from 1 person in my immediate family in the last 12 months. Not a day goes by when I think about them but I know it was the right decision. The pain is raw.

By association, a sibling has closed ranks and we're not connected anymore either.

I wouldn't wish this on anyone but the alternative is worse.
    Yeah it seems sometimes you just have to let go - but it must be awful, and the absolute last resort.

Was talking to a friend of a friend recently who was telling me about her heroin addicted brother - in and out of prison, robberies, assaults, all of his children are in care (their mother is useless too), he broke into his parents' place and they came home to find him and his friends doing gear in the kitchen.

They can't have anything more to do with him - it's not even a choice at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

My husband, after he told me he hopes I die of cancer being frustrated coz he didn't know how to boom flight tickets and I didn't wanted to do it for him 😊

I hope you have friends to go to because you need to escape that man. I've never met you but you don't deserve that. No one deserves that treatment. Feel free to PM me or talk about it here if you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Cushtie

Get on grand with siblings and parents. We are the kind of family that are not all into each others business but at the same time all get on fairly well. We are scattered aroud a bit and when we do get together it is usually very nice.

On the other hand, don't have much to do with father in law anymore. Had a great relationship with him up to a few years ago, his wife passed away then and he turned into a right prick. Ended up making life very difficult for my OH and her siblings. When I called him out on one particular occasion he decided to get all offended, and that was enough for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭2 fast

Extended families are ****e! I'd love not to talk to an aunt cause she treats my Mam like crap but if I had a go at her itd hurt my Mam soon I dont bother but some days I get so mad! People are very self involved especially in families.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Abel Ruiz

It's nice to know I'm ultimately twice the man that prick will ever be.

Says who?????
    Maybe youre the prick?
    Why is everyone that posts on boards an angel?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Have a mate staying with us at the moment who has recently escaped from her family.
    She feels terrible as one of her parents is unwell and she was a great help to them.
    However the other is twisted and conniving to the extent that they really seem to want to make our friend hurt herself. They’re unreal selfish. A level of selfishness that I have thankfully never directly encountered in anyone.
    To be bullied by your own parent, the person who is meant to love you the most in the world, I just can’t imagine.
    And then her siblings take the toxic parents side as it makes life easier on them, though I think deep down, they must really know what’s going on, or else they’re really stupid.
    She’s emotionally and mentally destroyed. And is now dealing with guilt.
    We don’t know how else to help her other than to offer her space.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭SaltSweatSugar

I speak to my dad and sister. I'm on good terms with my dads family but my mums is a different story. She had 13 brothers and sisters and there was always someone fighting or not speaking to someone else. Right now there are two uncles and one aunt that I don't speak to. They treated my family horribly after my mum died. She took her own life so it was an incredibly difficult time. One of the uncles said some truly awful things to us the day after she died, while we were in the funeral home organising her funeral. He's a horrible man. The other uncle and aunt stood up at her inquest and basically tried to imply that my father was to blame for her death. They made an already difficult experience a hundred times worse. I know they were grieving too but they took it out on us, which I'll never forget.

I'll never forgive them for how they acted or how they made me feel. I haven't spoken to them in 9 years and I'm not one bit sorry. They're not nice people.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,183 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I do think it's a lot more common than some relies.
    You can have a family sitting around a table at a restaurant or a group at an event and people may not be getting on but it doesn't stand out.
    The only time when trouble starts is when somebody tries to make friends!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

Estranged from one parent for the past year. There will be no resolution. My life has been a lot better since.
    Not estranged, but not close at all with one sibling. To the point where even saying hello, how are you feels awkward.
    Not close to another sibling as they moved abroad when I was still a kid. Probably to escape the parent I'm estranged from.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Yes one unmarried aunt.

She was a toxic influence in our family, even drove a wedge between me and my brother by treating us differently...the only reason people put up with her was because she always came bearing gifts and wads of cash. But these things are meaningless without genuine goodwill.

She's a narcissist and demands to be centre of attention. Even when out in public at a restaurant or supermarket she will go out of her way to talk to other diners or customers (strangers), usually absolute nonsense.

I fell out with her on Christmas 2012, being flaming drunk helped, she had a go at me because she was irritated that she wasn't the centre of attention for 5 minutes. I had a right go at her and we haven't spoken since. This is great, as my parents were unnable to drive past the town where she lives on the way to my house without picking her up and bringing her with them. Then in restaurants I would be known in locally she would start her cr8ap with servers and strangers.

She lives in a suburb of a large town, and has not one single friend there, or indeed outside the family. That says a lot.

Advertisement