Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Smart Meter Rollout

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

I would be fierce weary of a smartphone app like that. It will probably upload a whole lot of extra data on you so the uTility company can build up a better profile on you

• Registered Users Posts: 20,408 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

I would be fierce weary of a smartphone app like that. It will probably upload a whole lot of extra data on you so the uTility company can build up a better profile on you

For what?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

kneemos wrote: »
    For what?

So they can market extra stuff to you directly or else you'll somehow find yourself on some price plan that gives the rights for them to sell on your profile to third party advertisers hidden deep within the Tees and Cees. Fierce valuable stuff this data nowadays

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

The ESB will be able to do remote disconnections if you don’t pay your supplier bill. That’s what will have the ‘no way, we won’t pay’ up in arms.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

So they can market extra stuff to you directly or else you'll somehow find yourself on some price plan that gives the rights for them to sell on your profile to third party advertisers hidden deep within the Tees and Cees. Fierce valuable stuff this data nowadays

Fierce illegal too with GDPR. Not a chance of that happening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Here are more of the technical details

OMNIPOWER direct and CT meters - technical description (PDF)

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

This is from the UK. (PDF format)

Smart Meters and Demand Side Response

Smart electricity meters are capable of recording half hourly energy consumption data, providing pricing information and enabling remote load control. The GB smart metering system provides access to data through two main routes.

1. Users of the Data Communications Company (DCC) who have the consumer's explicit consent can access the consumers half hourly energy consumption data, including maximum demand levels.

2. Devices connected to the smart meter Home Area Network (SMHAN) with the consumer's consent can request electricity pricing and
    consumption information from the smart meter up to every ten seconds, which could be sent to other devices in the home or over the internet for cloud storage/analytics.

source

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

I have a smart meter since March. Why does the meter reader still call? Am I missing something. We always miss him anyway which is a little inconvenient.

I’d presume it’s because the meter is installed but doesn’t have the mobile chip enabled to enable remote readings and disconnections. Probably physically rolling the meters out while delivering the tech and security in the background so a go-live of a decent number can be announced. Hacking into a smart metering network could cause a huge amount of damage to a country so presume it’s slow and steady with rolllout.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,353 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I have a smart meter since March. Why does the meter reader still call? Am I missing something. We always miss him anyway which is a little inconvenient.

I assumed that why they are installing them , lay off the meter readers save money. Also a way of catching people on the fiddle. I don’t see any issues with them

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I have what I presume is a smart meter in my house. I can log into the app at any time and can see a daily break down of electricity usage and costs. Quite handy, as I can see how much home office is increasing usage by doing a comparison with the same days from last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,257 ✭✭✭✭ted1

because the remote reading infrastructure isn't going live till next year

• Registered Users Posts: 9 sickofcovid

I’d presume it’s because the meter is installed but doesn’t have the mobile chip enabled to enable remote readings and disconnections. Probably physically rolling the meters out while delivering the tech and security in the background so a go-live of a decent number can be announced. Hacking into a smart metering network could cause a huge amount of damage to a country so presume it’s slow and steady with rolllout.

There will be no remote disconnecting with the present smart meters. Most domestic ESB supply's now a days are 100 amp supply and the physical size of a 80 amp / 100 amp contractor is bigger than the smart meter meter itself

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭alex_r

Has anyone figured it out how to connect to it with smartphones or other smart meter readers?
    According to the specifications It defo has connection protocols(Kamstrup Meter Protocol, DLSM/COSEM and EN 62056-21 (1107) Mode A & C).
    Although, I am not sure if they are available for consumers. For consumers, it seems we might have to install a special CCC(Consumer Communication Channel) module.

Also, mine meter shows Radio Network Symbol on. So, I assume mine has been connected to the 2G ESB Radio Mesh Network already.

These are really advanced meters. Chuffed our island finally has something so tech advanced and not resorted to some quick legacy fixes.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭walshtipp

There will be no remote disconnecting with the present smart meters. Most domestic ESB supply's now a days are 100 amp supply and the physical size of a 80 amp / 100 amp contractor is bigger than the smart meter meter itself

These meter 100% do have a contactor built in.

From Kamstrup:
    "OMNIPOWER single-phase meter is available with integrated disconnection function which makes it
    possible to disconnect the electricity meter's supply outputs. The disconnection can be made locally by
    activating the meter's push button, automatically via the functions Smart Disconnect or Prepayment, or
    remotely via an automatic smart metering system."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

Is it true you dont get a night rate with a smart meter.
    I have day/night at the moment and im fuxked if im giving that up.
    because i charge my solar 7kw battery at night to use during the day during the winter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

Yes the smart meters have a night rate. Nothing to worry about.

Yeah, they have an option of having multiple tariff plans(up to 8).
    The tariff indicator can show T1, T2, T3, T4, T5, T6, T7 and T8 to indicate the currently active tariff. The tariff reading is updated every 10 sec., i.e. it may take up to 10 seconds from a tariff shift has been carried out until the current tariff is displayed.

However, if I am not wrong, it seems like it's up to your provider to support this function. All providers are going to roll out new smart features according to ESB
    From 2021 onwards, electricity supply companies will begin to offer new smart products and services, giving you more choice and enabling you to shift some of your consumption to off peak times of the day when electricity is cheaper.
    See more information on the benefits of the National Smart Metering Programme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Wesekn.

MAULBROOK wrote: »
    Is it true you dont get a night rate with a smart meter.
    I have day/night at the moment and im fuxked if im giving that up.
    because i charge my solar 7kw battery at night to use during the day during the winter.

How would you save anything charging a battery on dual tariff?

You'd want more switched on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

Wesekn. wrote: »
    How would you save anything charging a battery on dual tariff?

You'd want more switched on

Charge it on the cheep rate and then discharge (when needed) during the expensive rate.
    I have it, might as well use it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,326 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

alex_r wrote: »
    Yeah, they have an option of having multiple tariff plans(up to 8).

For the initial rollout of variable tariffs, the regulator has decided that there will be three rates: Day (08:00-23:00 excl peak), Night (23:00-08:00) and Peak (17:00-19:00).

The new tariffs will encourge people to set the immersion timer to heat the water before 8 a.m., not use the dishwasher or washing machine between 5 and 7 p.m. and avoid giving the immersion or storage heaters a boost between 5 and 7 p.m. The aim clearly is to flatten the demand curve which will result in more efficient power generation.

Anything you can defer like charging a car, you will do between 23:00 and 08:00. Which will be a new night rate for all consumers.

MAULBROOK wrote: »
    Hey, just wondering how much did you pay for your solar system?
    When I am checking prices around I see 10kW system costs around 15K. It's a cool system but hard to imagine when it's going to pay back the investment. I'd love to have one tho

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭stickman1019

Was talking to a guy reckoned the reason behind the Smart Meter rollout was because there it going to be changes to the Tariff's from Supply companys with the new tarrifs including as below

Day Rate
    Night Rate
    Export Rate
    Peak Rate

Anyone else hear anything similiar?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,326 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Was talking to a guy reckoned the reason behind the Smart Meter rollout was because there it going to be changes to the Tariff's from Supply companys with the new tarrifs including as below

Day Rate
    Night Rate
    Export Rate
    Peak Rate

Anyone else hear anything similiar?

See post #52.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭stickman1019

coylemj wrote: »
    See post #52.

Cheers for that; just playing devils advocate here.

What if you opt out to avoid this peak charge?

Any consequences?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,691 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Just wondering if there's a publicly accessible schedule for the rollout of smart meters. I'm aware of the timescale to have all domestic properties switched over (2 years' time). But I wonder if there's a county by county schedule. A bloke I work with lives in a rural part of Co Sligo, and he got his installed a few weeks back. I live in a rural part of Mayo (on the Roscommon border), and I've heard no word yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭iioklo

A Smart Meter installer at a house I was working at was fitting a Sagemcom Siconia XS211 Smart Meter, he said that's what they are fitting now because the Kamstrump meters are not waterproof.

[url]https://www.vz.lt/apps/pbcsi.dll/storyimage/VZ/20211015/MARKETING/211019648/AR/0/AR-211019648.jpg&exactW=750&AlignV=top&imageversion=Horizontalus&lastupdate=1359[/url]

They're talking out of their ...

There are simply multiple suppliers involved as it's a huge rollout and they're not going to be stuck with a single supplier for something like that.

Siemens and Kamstrump just happened to do a lot more PR.

They're both rated IP 54 and can handle 95% relative humidity.

No ESB meter has ever been water proof. They're designed to be installed either indoors or in a cabinet and might be able to just about handle being accidentally splashed if the door were left open in the rain.

IP54 =

5: Protected against dust limited ingress, no harmful deposits.

4: Protected against water splashed from all directions, limited ingress permitted.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭thebourke

I got the smart meter installed last week.

is there an app you can download that shows the usage?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Energia have a "Smart Meter Survey" for customers...

I think it's the old bait and switch trick where they are hoping that you type in "nothing" and then the next question is "Do you have a smart meter?" and then they pounce on you and install one on the poxyist price plan.

Advertisement