Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Engineering a ''Need''

1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Elliott S

Also, at the if the day, it's an arsehole. You don't have to be able to eat off it.

Exactly. And introducing a gush of water is just going to spray fecal germs around the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭Kiwi in IE

Elliott S wrote: »
    No defence of bidets has ever convinced me.

Finding Bidets in an airport toilet on a stopover during ultra long haul flying (when you've been 24 hours or more without a shower)! That would have to convince you! Bidets are definitely useful and much more effective than dry toilet paper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

shampoo & conditioner

if you dont put hairspray or gel in your hair you are better off just using warm water to wash it, and not every day, the natural oils produced by the scalp are better than any conditioner, it takes a while for the scalp to adjust back to its natural state, your hair wont actually be greasy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Elliott S

Kiwi in IE wrote: »
    That would have to convince you! Bidets are definitely useful and much more effective than dry toilet paper.

Like I said, it's not dry, there's a near-sterile liquid already down there to aid the process. ;) And it's an appropriate amount of moisture, not enough to aid the spread of fecal matter through spillage and spray.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,763 ✭✭✭thesandeman

Ah lads! Enough of the shìte talk. Get back on topic.

• Advertisement

• "Gluten free".

A need for coeliacs, a fad for most.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Much of fashion is not needed,
    buy sneaker brand x, named after an athlete,with a certain logo.Or expensive jeans with a brand ,or expensive handbags.
    They are status items,to say i have money ,or i have good taste .high heels are bought
    by women to say ,i,m sexy.
    Or else they have to wear them as part of the job they do
    they have no practical use.
    Anyone with a phone does not need a watch.
    people buy watchs now mainly as a status symbol.
    Or to show they can afford to buy a certain brand.
    Fashion invents a need ,you must have this years coat,dress, jacket that,s slightly different than last years style to be cool.
    An iphone is hardly any better than a 150 smartphone,
    but the brand has status so people pay 500 euro,s for it.
    i never watch ads ,they are mostly for products that i will never use or do not need
    So advertising is mostly about inventing a need to buy a certain brand or a company
    product.
    We could buy just buy everything in tesco or lidl and life would be easier.
    unless you use running apps,health apps no one needs an apple watch ,
    The apps on a smartphone are enough for most users.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭ Poppy Witty Chalkboard

High heels have lots of practical uses. They strengthen the calf muscles and they keep your posture straight, better than if you were wearing flat shoes.

Buy cheap, buy twice.
    There's absolutely no harm or shame in buying investment pieces, such as a designer handbag, as they're timeless, and good quality. They will last a lot longer than something from pennies or dunnes, and will look good for long after they've been bought.

"Gluten free".

A need for coeliacs, a fad for most.
    I was left eating my words when I used to say the same thing Conor. Always thought people who didn't eat gluten (coeliacs excluded) were a bunch of pretentious ****. I got quite ill this summer and the only thing linking all of my different ailments was coeliac. So I was tested, and they keep testing me each time they do my blood work (every 4 weeks) for coeliac disease and it keeps coming back negative. However, about a month ago I came off all gluten and I can't even explain how much better I feel.

So now I'm one of those **** :( but I'm grateful to those other **** because the location of where I work must be inundated with gluten free **** such as myself because pretty much every place I usually go for lunch can cater for gluten free, no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,537 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I was left eating my words when I used to say the same thing Conor. Always thought people who didn't eat gluten (coeliacs excluded) were a bunch of pretentious ****. I got quite ill this summer and the only thing linking all of my different ailments was coeliac. So I was tested, and they keep testing me each time they do my blood work (every 4 weeks) for coeliac disease and it keeps coming back negative. However, about a month ago I came off all gluten and I can't even explain how much better I feel.

So now I'm one of those **** :( but I'm grateful to those other **** because the location of where I work must be inundated with gluten free **** such as myself because pretty much every place I usually go for lunch can cater for gluten free, no problem.

That's because it's not a simple binary concept of being coeliac or not.

There's an allergy to wheat amd non-coeliac gluten sensitivity as well.

There are people who go gluten free with zero basis for it but there are people who may not be coeliac but who gluten does have an impact on them. Like yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

The good news is that the fad makes it easier for coeliacs and those with intolerances to get gluten free food.

My nephews gf is a coeliac and its no picnic

• Registered Users Posts: 24,537 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

mansize wrote: »
    The good news is that the fad makes it easier for celiacs and those with intolerances to get gluten free food.

My nephews gf is a celiac and its no picnic

And a mate is one and finding a place to meet him and his missus with for a bite to eat isn't the needle-in-haystack it once was

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

€150 smartphones are laggy as fcuk

• I was left eating my words when I used to say the same thing Conor. Always thought people who didn't eat gluten (coeliacs excluded) were a bunch of pretentious ****. I got quite ill this summer and the only thing linking all of my different ailments was coeliac. So I was tested, and they keep testing me each time they do my blood work (every 4 weeks) for coeliac disease and it keeps coming back negative. However, about a month ago I came off all gluten and I can't even explain how much better I feel.

Oh have no doubt but that some benefit. Though apparently it's not necessarily gluten at all, the theories also blame other ingredients in food that commonly contains gluten, such as yeast.

But the idea that up to one third of the population are intolerant? I just don't buy it myself. I know a few who are doing it and claim they had all these conditions that they never once mentioned before the diet was popularised by Paltrow, Beckham etc. I also suspect the wuggestion that it helps losing weight is what motivates some of them.

Oh have no doubt but that some benefit. Though apparently it's not necessarily gluten at all, the theories also blame other ingredients in food that commonly contains gluten, such as yeast.

But the idea that up to one third of the population are intolerant? I just don't buy it myself. I know a few who are doing it and claim they had all these conditions that they never once mentioned before the diet was popularised by Paltrow, Beckham etc. I also suspect the wuggestion that it helps losing weight is what motivates some of them.

For me I was hospitalised because I was in myxodema stages of hypothyroidism because despite taking my medication my body was not able to absorb it. That in turn has left me (temporarily) infertile until hopefully everything is under control. I'm lacking in iron because again, my body can't absorb it (why they thought I was coeliac), apparently there's some links with coeliac disorder and epilepsy/seizures and since coming off gluten my psoriasis has pretty much disappeared.

I'm not that bothered if it's the gluten or the yeast or whatever else it is in gluten foods that I'm intolerant to, but the only regret I have is that I didn't do it years ago, while I was so busy scoffing at those that did

Bags for everything. Wine bags, present bags (even though the present is wrapped), Christmas present bags. It's just another layer of wrapping for a few quid each time.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Sprog 4

Those tooth brushes with tongue scrubbers. Jesus wept.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 736 ✭✭✭chillin117

Who could forget Shake n vac !

• Registered Users Posts: 9,763 ✭✭✭thesandeman

But.... But.. But...
    It put the freshness back.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 736 ✭✭✭chillin117

And the latest ''Need'' V I Poo ! Even a good looking girl can do a woeful smelling ****e ! Who dreams this stuff up ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭indioblack

chillin117 wrote: »
    And the latest ''Need'' V I Poo ! Even a good looking girl can do a woeful smelling ****e ! Who dreams this stuff up ?
    I never knew they did number twos the same as the rest of us.
    Life is full of frightening discoveries.

Advertisement