Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Thermostat Mixing Valve

Options
  • 15-02-2019 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭

Query re above and a 25kw oil fired boiler with a flow temperature of 65C fitted with a 3 way mixing valve installed to give a mixed flow temperature of 40C to radiators with rad (and boiler) return temperature of 35C. Above required by someone who wants to see if rads are suitable for use with ASHP running 24/7.
    Has anyone on here done this or similar for UFH with an oil fired boiler? and if so any advice.
    The mixed flow rate to boiler return flow rate at the above conditions are 6:1, (my calc), if the heat demand is say 20 kw then the mixed flow rate to the rads is 57 LPM so the boiler flow rate is 9.5 LPM, shouldn't be a problem, but if the heat demand is say only 5 kw (zone valves closing etc) then the mixed flow rate required is 14 LPM and the boiler flow rate is only slightly more than 2 LPM.
    This is obviously a problem so how to deal with it? ABV between boiler flow and return maybe?.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,726 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

I wish I was good at maths like you John.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Dtp1979 wrote:
    I wish I was good at maths like you John.

That's both of us so. My mind refuses to work like John's. He alw leaves me in awe

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

You shouldn't have a return temperature to an oil boiler of less than 55ºC, unless it's a totally stainless heat exchanger.
    The reason is that you will promote condensing in the ferrous portion of the boiler which will rust through in short order.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

John.G wrote: »

This is obviously a problem so how to deal with it? .......

An accumulator tank maybe ?

Boiler heats tank ( put a loading valve on it so it's in the happy condensing but not too cold zone )

House draws heat heat from tank when needed

Boiler / ASHP failure in winter ? just use the immersions in the tank - beats freezing to death and burst pipes

Expensive but much happiness

• Registered Users Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭John.G

Thanks boys.

• Advertisement
Advertisement