Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Old Irish Water stopcock packed with mud and rocks

Options
  • 13-02-2019 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭

The house has an oldstyle hookup through a shared Irish water stopcock at the end of the row.

I have a mains leak which is under control but there's no on-property shutoff so i need to use the external one.

Opening it I'm met with rocks packed down with mud. Any tool suggestions for this or am I stuck using my arm? How deep are these things usually?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭blackbox

About 30cm. Unlikely to be more than 60cm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

Okay, that's not so bad. I had done a bit of hand evacuating but it wasn't clear if it was feasible to do it by hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,727 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Zab wrote: »
    Okay, that's not so bad. I had done a bit of hand evacuating but it wasn't clear if it was feasible to do it by hand.

Often had to do it. Be careful there isn’t pieces of glass in there too. You’ll also need the tool to turn it off when you get down there

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Hire a water vacuum (wet-vac) from the hire shop.
    Pour some water into the hole, use something to loosen up the rubble in the hole and extract it all using the wet vac.
    You may need to repeat the process to get down to the valve depending on the depth, but this is the cleanest and safest way to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

Thanks to all replies.

Ended up doing this with a pair of thick rubber gloves. The stopcocks were at different depths with the deepest being a little under 60cm, just deep enough to require getting my elbow into the tube.

Had to dislodge some stones with a pry bar, but other than that it wasn't too difficult and not really that messy.

The wet vac sounds like a decent method

• Advertisement
Advertisement