Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Family connection

• 01-01-2019 3:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭

I posted here before and got some help but if it's not suitable for here maybe a mod could move it.
    Short version of the story.
    2 women and 1 man siblings with the same mother and father and the parents are both dead.
    Woman comes along and claims to be half sister with the same father as the other 3.
    What tests and with who can help prove or disprove the relationship.
    Blood tests or DNA tests and how do you find a reputable company to carry out the tests
    Any ideas appreciated
    Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,102 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Any of the autosomal tests would show a half sibling relationship. All three could test, or just one and her. Family Tree DNA had a 49 dollar offer recently. Don't know if it is still on.

If there were to be any possible legal or inheritance repercussions, I would look for a more specific test than one meant for family history purposes. They will be substantially more expensive.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Yes - agree with Spurious. Do Family Tree DNA or Ancestry or 23&Me or My Heritage and all will definitely show a half-sibling relationship.

Every close member of my family tested has been accurate.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭argentum

Thanks for the information folks. There are no inheritance issues or legal issues just a woman wanting to know if she has any family and who her father was.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

FTDNA still has their $49 Family Finder offer for a couple more days.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement