Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wind / Rainfall Warning Mon 17th pm / Tues 18th am Dec 2018

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

It sounds a bit wild out there now. I live in a hollow, so it must be worse up on higher ground. In south Carlow.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Tazio

92m asl near Riverstick Co Cork.

Just woken by winds! Quite rough.

No way of measuring wind speed

Met.ie last update for cork airport was 2200h.

Edit
    CORK AIRPORT S 24 Gust 40

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Not a bad night out there tonight, Fairly breezy and no rain here in my area of meath.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Blowing heavy here in East Cork. The gusts feel much worse than the last official storm yet it's only yellow.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Some serious gusts here the last few hours. I almost got blown over while going outside for firewood earlier.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Yep near Tralee.

It's bucketing down. Just drove home from Killarney..it's wasn't very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

11.6mm in one hour at Valentia Observatory from 19:00 to 20:00 according to Villain.

https://twitter.com/CarlowWeather/status/1074807543912898561

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

31.4mm of rain in Castlebar since midnight, it will be interesting to see the final total in the morning.

No increase on the max gust of 87 km/hr, pressure down to 989.05 hPa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

I'm surprised Met Eireann aren't saying much about rainfall....40mm is high by any standard but with fields waterlogged it equals significant flooding for me.
    I'd say the dam in Cork will be at breaking point by tomorrow night

You can see the hydrometric information here for the two Lee dams:

https://www.esb.ie/our-businesses/generation-energy-trading-new/hydrometric-information/river-lee

It looks like they're keeping the flow high to keep the levels down.

The pattern would be maximum safe outflow when the tide is low and manage it for high tide.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

It's bucketing down. Just drove home from Killarney..it's wasn't very nice.

22mm here near Tralee since around 17.00, no let up.

Getting windy now in S Kerry, Cork

rafales_uk_sap4.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭WoolyJumper

Very windy since early this evening in Cork. Feels far worse that what we had on Saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭flexcon

Just spent nearly 4 hours up at cork airport. Amazing pilots and brave passengers.

Back in the city and it’s caused havoc for bins and rubbish. Place is a tip!

199% worse than deirdre.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Significantly wilder here now than that non-event on Saturday - mid Limerick

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭kerrycork13

It’s a wicked night out. The rivers are def gonna burst there banks tonight or tom. Serious flooding in cork and Kerry I would say

• Registered Users Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Lots of experts here on this forum. Would you be able to explain why this is only yellow and not amber?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

Its like a car wash out there....

I can confirm its windy.

600 ft ASL MacGillycuddy's Reeks - North of Sneem - Kerry

• Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Definitely much stronger wind in Galway than we had with Deirdre

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,421 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Couple of proper solid wallops in Dublin. Creaking roof. I have vents that go from the rear of the roof, splits across the attic and then filters out through the eaves to give full 360 air circulation and they appear to be having a hooley with those gusts. Always sounds likes the house is going to lift up!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭pad199207

A few gusts now close to 50MPH

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Lots of experts here on this forum. Would you be able to explain why this is only yellow and not amber?

Because we don't have an effective impact-based warning system. We have a numerical one which isn't fit for purpose in anything other than a lab.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

HUGE Gust just now, could hear damage outside.

600 ft ASL MacGillycuddy's Reeks - North of Sneem - Kerry

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

I had a look on the Carlow Weather site. They showed a gust of 85 earlier. Of course that's not Met Eireann so not official.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

The wind here is relentless since this afternoon. Still howling and no let up until early morning by the looks of it. What ever went bang earlier is probably in the next county at this stage ...

Gust 55mph now. Getting a little louder now. On a par with Deirdre

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭donal.hunt

Definitely much windier here in Whitechurch, Co. Cork (120 MAMSL). Real storm!!

https://waterlevel.ie/ not showing much increase on the few stations I checked but it will take time for water to get to them. This one (https://waterlevel.ie/0000019058/0001/week/) in Blackpool, Cork tends to highlight heavy downpours since it's a manmade channel and rises quickly (you can see the amount of water passing over the weekend!!).

Has really turned up a notch now here the last 15 mins or so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Wind is going to get worse anywhere along the Irish Sea, occasional gusts of storm force.
    Can understand only yellow (excluding marine), but perhaps a very short-lived (2-3hrs) Orange for these areas & times,
    for anyone living <10km of coast might be an idea.

0100-0300 Kerry
    0300 Cork
    0400 Waterford
    0500 All SE coasts
    0600 mid-East coast
    0700 All East coast

68kts (79mph) at Fastnet

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭kerrycork13

Reports of trees and telephone poles down in parts of cork. Wouldn’t surprise if there was close to 2 inches of rain with this system here in Kerry. Def over an inch after falling already. Lots of flooding for morning commuters I would imagine..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Starting to hear gusts now in Dublin, just as I'm heading for the leaba. Not expecting anything earth shattering enough to stop sleep!

Advertisement