Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cyclists

167891012»

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

First Up wrote: »
    I don't need to "prove" (provide) anything. People can read it and draw their own conclusions.

MOD VOICE: Time to take a few days away from the thread. You have been repeatedly told no one condones it, no one can find anyone condoning it, and you haven't shown it. I have to presume you are simply not interested in discussion. Please do not post in here again for a week. If you have any issues with the modding, please PM me.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,304 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Im certainly no pal of yours. I have read every post on the thread and countless other threads here. There is no evidence to back up you up in your assertions that cyclists here are anti-lights. You have not proved one shred of evidence either.
    There is also not one shred of evidence that unlit cyclists are a significant safety issue on the roads, especially when compared to something like speeding motorists.

The Mods warnings limit my scope to answer. I should have more accurately said it is not quantitative research as the sample is inherently skewed, being limited to only one cyclist. Plus, we don't know if the cyclists behaviour also varied from one trial to the other. Nor is it the study independently verified. It also assumes correlation equals causation. It is interesting and a valid discussion point but compares poorly with to the solid statistics that support the alternative conclusion.
    Again, I'm left wondering where you are getting your definitions from when you claim that it is not quantitative research. It fits any definition I've ever seen for quantitative research.

Yes, there are limitations with the study, including the participation of only one cyclist - but you can say that about pretty much any quantitative study, that a bigger sample would give better results.

It doesn't assume anything about correlation or causation. It just presents the results of the research. It has been independently verified by the standard peer review process involved in publication.

And where specifically are these 'solid statistics' you mention?
    The other glaring omission is anything about how the motorists saw any difference and if/how it influenced them. The whole point of the exercise was to measure change in motorists' behaviour so the failure to explore that makes it pretty meaningless as a scientific study.
    So how exactly would you do that research? Ahead of the cyclist, you're going to have to stop each driver and ask them their views on something they did instinctively, without thinking too much? That's going to be both illegal and impractical. It's hard to avoid the conclusion that this is nitpicking to try to undermine peer-reviewed research.

Eamonnator wrote: »
    You've a lot to answer for!
    I see that the OP has two posts on boards, the first one being this seagull load that he dropped before flying away. Maybe the cycling forum should have a standardised response to this kind of one-off unloading that really adds nothing to the debate?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,262 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Maybe an approval process to post in the forum, like the football forum has. Or used to have anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,948 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

....Again, I'm left wondering where you are getting your definitions from when you claim that it is not quantitative research. It fits any definition I've ever seen for quantitative research.

.......Yes, there are limitations with the study, including the participation of only one cyclist - but you can say that about pretty much any quantitative study, that a bigger sample would give better results.

.......It doesn't assume anything about correlation or causation. It just presents the results of the research. It has been independently verified by the standard peer review process involved in publication.

......And where specifically are these 'solid statistics' you mention?

......So how exactly would you do that research? Ahead of the cyclist, you're going to have to stop each driver and ask them their views on something they did instinctively, without thinking too much? That's going to be both illegal and impractical. It's hard to avoid the conclusion that this is nitpicking to try to undermine peer-reviewed research......
    Not the done thing to continue to debate with someone after they have been banned.

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Maybe an approval process to post in the forum, like the football forum has. Or used to have anyway.

I wouldn't go that far but I'm massaging my temples between this thread and the hi-vis one at this stage.

There has to be line, I'm all for debate but when people argue in circles it becomes pointless and should be shut down.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

We've been circling the drain for sometime now.

It is done

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement