Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

force question

• 21-10-2018 12:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭

i have attached a picture of a force question im working on. i have it all done but i have a question about one of the answers i got.

for the last part finding the vertical and horizontal components of the reaction force around point C.

so i called the two components Rx and Ry to get both my answers i got the sum of all the forces left = to sum of all the forces right which gave me Rx.

used sum of all up = sum of all down for Ry.

the answer i got for Ry was -6.09kn

im only in the first few weeks of year one of my degree and we havent covered a negative force.

so my question is because force is a vector does a negative answer just mean the force is going in the opposite direction?

or the more likely answer did i calculate something wrong?

Advertisement