Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Saddle query!

• 19-10-2018 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭

I’ve recently had an operation on a groin abscess and wondered when I get back to cycling what kind of saddle ( cut out saddle) would I use.Or has anyone had this operation and continued cycling without any problem?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Saddles are oh-so-personal.

There's a semi-consensus that leather saddles are comfy over very long distances, but need to be broken in first. You might try a Gilles Berthoud Aspin or Aravis; they have bigger 'cut outs' than the Brooks equivalents, or the Spa Cycles copies. There's an American crew called Selle Anatomica or words to that effect, too. Or, for the whole (hole) hog, try the Infinity Saddle (I did, and didn't really like it, but there are some who swear by it).

• Registered Users Posts: 16,630 ✭✭✭✭dahat

I've recently had surgery for a rather large cyst in the Channel area that healed well given time. I went back to using same saddle before the surgery with no issues since.

Did the saddle cause the problem?
    Get a good fit to get advice on the correct saddle for your needs is the best advice you will get.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Comma

Selle SMP do full cut (almost) saddles in different widths and weight and padding levels. I find the Drakon version that I use great from a pressure point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭pantani

dahat wrote: »
    I've recently had surgery for a rather large cyst in the Channel area that healed well given time. I went back to using same saddle before the surgery with no issues since.

Did the saddle cause the problem?
    Get a good fit to get advice on the correct saddle for your needs is the best advice you will get.

Saddle didn’t cause the problem,what time frame did you have for getting back!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,630 ✭✭✭✭dahat

pantani wrote: »
    Saddle didn’t cause the problem,what time frame did you have for getting back!

Was back on the bike after 4 weeks though slow build over next two weeks.

My issue was caused by worn bib shorts that caused a cut where the pad meets the bib.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭declan_8

Comma wrote: »
    Selle SMP do full cut (almost) saddles in different widths and weight and padding levels. I find the Drakon version that I use great from a pressure point of view.

Another vote for the Selle from me, I use the smp well version

Advertisement