Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tarmac advice / Help

• 27-09-2018 10:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭tanka006

Hello to All,

I have tarmac down for 4 years & am now having problems with what looks like Moss.

I am attaching two photographs as a picture is better than a thousand words!

Any advice as to how i should treat it would be most welcome.

Many Thanks

Tanka

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭tanka006

Sorry Pics 1&2

• Registered Users Posts: 5,615 ✭✭✭TheBody

I think this topic has come up in the past. Some people (me included) buy really cheap washing powder and shake it over the moss to kill it.

I also pruned back some trees that seemed to encourage the moss to grow underneath.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭tanka006

Thanks TheBody,

I have searched here & have found some advise on here:

Moss Buster
    Jeyes Fluid
    Washing Powder
    Bleach

I am worried about causing damage to the tarmac.

Did you put down much powder?

Thanks for any comment

Tanka

• Registered Users Posts: 5,615 ✭✭✭TheBody

I just sprinkle on a light covering of the washing powder with my hand. It's far from an exact science!

Give it a go and see what works for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Boiling water. Kills it stone dead in seconds, just like it does any living thing.

Granted, it takes a lot of kettle to cover a driveway, but it's magic. One that's done, get the pressure washer out and presto.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭ v0cosa186yf2dr

seamus wrote:
    Granted, it takes a lot of kettle to cover a driveway, but it's magic. One that's done, get the pressure washer out and presto.

Would the pressure washer not damage the tarmac?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Granted, I don't have tarmac myself, but a quick google suggests that power hosing a properly laid driveway should be no issue. People mostly come a cropper by holding the wand too close to try and "scrub" difficult things off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭ v0cosa186yf2dr

Ok thanks, you would have to use the powerwasher very lightly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

Do not ever power hose a tarmac or SMA driveway, you will strip the bitumen from the stone and it will loosen eventually.Let the moss weather and dry and spray it with a mug full of jeyes fluid to a 10 liters watering can and spray with a rose/sprinkler attached and sweep it off after a few days.

Advertisement