Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

First taste of new Alice In Chains

Options
  • 05-05-2018 6:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭

I'm sure nobody saw AIC reaching this point without Layne, but DuVall has grown on me after repeated listens of Black Gives Way To Blue. I swear in between the joint vocals of him and Jerry, you can hear Layne.

I'm digging the new track and look forward to hearing what comes down the line.

Comments

• Registered Users, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Shame they overlook us again on the current tour!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,348 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

That's pretty decent however hard to tell just off one track but the last album kinda showed DuVall isn't a frontman in his own right whether thats his choosing or Cantrells decision.
    Grid. wrote: »
    Shame they overlook us again on the current tour!
    Only played here once as headliner I believe back in 1993 :o

Only played here once as headliner I believe back in 1993 :o

True yeah.....somethin' bad musta went down that night.....they avoid us like the plague ever since!!:rolleyes::p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Passenger

Quite like the new track. Hopefully a good indication of the upcoming album.
    Grid. wrote: »
    True yeah.....somethin' bad musta went down that night.....they avoid us like the plague ever since!!:rolleyes::p

Don't forget they also played as a support for Metallica in the RDS in 2009.

Passenger wrote: »
    Don't forget they also played as a support for Metallica in the RDS in 2009.

And 2006 at the shortlived "Download Ireland" again Metallica headlining, One of first shows with DuVall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭poundhound

I was at that show in 1993.
    Stayley said after the first song "Dublin, you give us a show and we'll give you a show" and what a show it was.
    Also Jerry Cantrell was writing a "tour diary" for Kerrang at the time. He said about the Dublin show, that when members of the crowd stormed the stage and started stage diving, he was never so scared in all his life.
    He needn't have worried. The only incident was when some guy picked up Stayleys bottle of Jack Daniels and took a swig from it.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Like the new song. Would like to see them come here. Albums with Duvall are decent enough, and it seems like Jerry is the "frontman".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Sheridan81

I don't really like the new song. Looks like Cantrell may be running out of ideas. He's been a great songwriter, quite underrated, although it's always the same distinctive style. Dirt is a classic. I have a couple of AIC albums for sale, if anyone wants, Pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Alonso77

poundhound wrote: »
    Stayley said after the first song "Dublin, you give us a show and we'll give you a show" and what a show it was.
    Also Jerry Cantrell was writing a "tour diary" for Kerrang at the time. He said about the Dublin show, that when members of the crowd stormed the stage and started stage diving, he was never so scared in all his life.
    He needn't have worried. The only incident was when some guy picked up Stayleys bottle of Jack Daniels and took a swig from it.:D

I remember it well, I believe Staley said, after the guy went for his whiskey, something like "you guys are welcome to come up here but don't touch my Jack!"

Great gig.

I was at that gig too. Also have a photo of myself with Cantrell after the show. Must try find it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭DavidLyons_

I was there too. Mike Inez dived into the crowd at the end and got dragged around a bit. Seemed a little shaken.

I remember that so well because one idiot - from the group I went with - tried to pull his watch off his wrist. I remember thinking at the time it was such a cnut thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭RicketyCricket

Another new song. New album 'Rainier Fog' out August 24. Really like this song too.

Alice In Chains style is so distinctive. I can't think of another band who sound like them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Would be great if we got an Irish date on this album cycle but I doubt it, It's a shame, last time I saw them was in 09 supporting Metallica.

Can't wait for Rainier Fog, I like what I've heard and hopefully Will is more front and center on this record.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Their set from Hellfest is on Youtube. Pretty good, but only one new song which was disappointing. Would love to see them live. I can't understand the hate towards Duvall. Yeah, he's not Layne but a few albums in, and I'm liking it.

One week until the new album, looking forward to it. This is another new one that was released last week.

That sucks, in my humble opinion.

Jerry should try writing some different kind of music-it's been 30 plus years of this stuff and it's just getting worse.

First track is alright nothing else, second track and hope is slipping that's it's going to be a worthwhile release.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I've had it on a few times this morning and it's only alright in my opinion. Maybe it'll grow on me after a few more listens but it's my least favourite of the DuVall era albums.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Like the new record a lot so far. I like that it's very different to BGWTB and TDPDH, it's a lot more dense and a more of a grower than those albums. Title track is really good.

• Advertisement

Really didnt think much of the new album after the first listen but I think its a grower. Fourth spin and I'm liking it more and more.

Amazing album. Gets better and better with more listens. Standout track for me is Deaf Ears Blind Eyes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭Infernum

I totally forgot that the new album was out now. I got sidetracked by a few other bands' releases.

I'm really digging it so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,832 ✭✭✭s8n

What’s the chances of them playing a show here in support ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

New Chains album is fantastic. They do what they do, and do it better than anyone else. Fly, Red Giant, So Far Under, Rainier Fog, Deaf Ears Blind Eyes - all great tracks. Definitely a grower of an album, and for me, the best one they've done with Duvall.

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    New Chains album is fantastic. They do what they do, and do it better than anyone else. Fly, Red Giant, So Far Under, Rainier Fog, Deaf Ears Blind Eyes - all great tracks. Definitely a grower of an album, and for me, the best one they've done with Duvall.

Completely agree. Very rewarding with more listens. 'So Far Under' is a hell of a song. Written by DuVall too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Completely agree. Very rewarding with more listens. 'So Far Under' is a hell of a song. Written by DuVall too.

I was unimpressed after the first couple of listens but like all good albums, it really grows on you. All I Am is a hell of a closer, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,832 ✭✭✭s8n

New European tour announced for mid next year and no Irish date (unsurprisingly)

https://aliceinchains.com/tour/

s8n wrote: »
    New European tour announced for mid next year and no Irish date (unsurprisingly)

https://aliceinchains.com/tour/

That's a shame .....travelled over to London to see them back in June, and they were fantastic!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,110 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

A Saturday in London is very doable. Actually could have accommodation very close by too

Advertisement