Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Full Ironman in cork next year

• 26-04-2018 7:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭noc231073

Just had word that contracts were signed .. 9th June
    Let you guess where !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

noc231073 wrote: »
    Just had word that contracts were signed .. 9th June
    Let you guess where !

Branded or unbranded?

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭boysinblack

Youghal, the rumor was posted months ago in the Dublin ironman thread.

Is it actually true or not though?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Will it be a non-wetsuit swim?

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭thehairygrape

Great news if true. Heard about it a while ago, but not sure if only rumours. Bike course towards Cork seems flat enough if true. Don't know about wetsuits. Reckon it would sell out fairly fast

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Jellofish

Interesting that there is such excitement about this branded Ironman race but yet Hardman is only down the road from it and doesn't get the numbers...

Why do people feel the need to do branded races and pay so much more?

• Advertisement

Jellofish wrote: »
    Interesting that there is such excitement about this branded Ironman race but yet Hardman is only down the road from it and doesn't get the numbers...

going to guess you have not done a continental branded IM.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Not seeing much excitement here. Thread has been read over 500 times and only 7 replies.
    Would imagine the numbers it gets would be only slightly larger than what Challenge Galway got.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

Interesting that there is such excitement about this branded Ironman race

I was thinking the exact opposite!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Grassey wrote: »
    Will it be a non-wetsuit swim?

Although its near the sunny South East there will never be a race in Ireland that is non wetsuit unless its in a pool.

I would also suspect there will be low interest in this if they do run one - paying a small fortune for a race with a high % of miserable weather has no appeal to me. I did Challenge Galway and the bike was just soul destroying in that weather.

The planning is as dodgy as anything else, closed roads will be a problem for the sunday mass goers everywhere and towns and villages around the route will be as closed minded as ever about the tourism potential. As always there will be an Irish premium on the entry fees and they will rank as high as any of the top established races - no thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

tunney wrote: »
    Branded or unbranded?

I bet you 50 that race dosnt sell out on release date Lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Announcement at 3 on Facebook, probably this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

Announcement at 3 on Facebook, probably this?

More than likely the DL 70.3 posted a comment “Something big is coming.. yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭jnk883

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭griffin100

Tempted but then will probably cost a squillion euros to enter :rolleyes: Such an early season race would be a great incentive to train over the winter though.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭NewCorkLad

My plan is to complete my first full IM next year with all the bells and whistles so it suits, but I had been looking forward to racing in the sun out foreign.

Might have to look at late summer for a second race :) if the legs can manange it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,341 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Nice bike course, reasonbly flat, and most of those roads are well sheltered, high hedges/trees on either side so wind shouldn't be much of an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭jnk883

Most challenging part of the course would be from Midleton and Dungourney but what goes up must go down. Road conditions between Dungourney and back to Youghal would be interested, very much secondary roads there.

Close to home for me so I'd be tempted, no worrying about hotel and travel. A lot of interest from people around here but cost will definitely be deciding factor for most. Dun Laoghaire 70.3 is so much more expensive than most European 70.3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

"IRONMAN is heading to the gem of Ireland's Ancient East to host the first ever full distance event in the country on 23 June 2019.

IRONMAN Ireland, Cork, will showcase the beauty and rugged landscapes of County Cork - one of Ireland's most popular tourist destinations."

How to p!ss off every Cork man/woman in one email

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭boysinblack

"IRONMAN is heading to the gem of Ireland's Ancient East to host the first ever full distance event in the country on 23 June 2019.

IRONMAN Ireland, Cork, will showcase the beauty and rugged landscapes of County Cork - one of Ireland's most popular tourist destinations."

How to p!ss off every Cork man/woman in one email

Sure its East Cork :rolleyes:

And didn't mention the Republic once!

Priority entries open 25th May. General entries 5th June

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭butrasgali

Is the bike route up anywhere yet..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

jnk883 wrote: »
    Close to home for me so I'd be tempted, no worrying about hotel and travel. A lot of interest from people around here but cost will definitely be deciding factor for most. Dun Laoghaire 70.3 is so much more expensive than most European 70.3

It's a little bit more expensive than most other European 70.3s. And for a country with one of the higher average industrial wages in Europe, I can't imagine the extra few euro will be much of factor on the average Irish triathlete's decision to enter.

butrasgali wrote:
    Is the bike route up anywhere yet..

On the ironman site under athletes > course

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

jnk883 wrote: »
    Most challenging part of the course would be from Midleton and Dungourney but what goes up must go down. Road conditions between Dungourney and back to Youghal would be interested, very much secondary roads there.

Going by IM UK tier 1 pricing would make it around the €450 mark plus the 8% active fee as a rough guide.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭valoren

Great news for East Cork. Will be signing up for 2020.

That climb up Windmill Hill is incredibly steep, the angle being this is 'Heartbreak Hill' like Saundersfoot in IM Wales.
    Being right in the town, it would have the crowds.

Despite that lump, it looks like a proper time trial course, flat, fast, in the slots and just pedal, closed country roads, head down getting it done.
    Run course is essentially flat with a couple of lumps and modest inclines.
    Start time is 6am as right in the middle of summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭ Anthony Old-fashioned Bagel

If I was ever inclined to do an IM on Irish soil I would probably do Hardman instead.

If I was ever inclined to do an IM on Irish soil I would probably do Hardman instead.

Then it wouldn't be an IM. It would be an IM distance race.

Of course it would. It just wouldn't be an Ironman™ race

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

A swim in Killarney lakes, Bike the ring of Kerry and run through the national park at half the cost....I wonder what the appeal is 😀

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭brickysession

tunney wrote: »
    Then it wouldn't be an IM. It would be an IM distance race.

That would be correct. Just out of curiosity, I wonder do IM have copyright over calling a 140.6 race an IM race? I know that Hardman got legal grief in the early days for using the term IM in their race description.

I was at the launch of the Youghal IM last Friday and they asked how many people in the room had done an IM (full disctance) Having done the Hardman, I thought it was not right to stand up as I had not done an IM.

Advertisement