Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Parents of Sandy Hook victims suing Alex Jones for defamation

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

Dohnjoe wrote: »
    Don't know if I can post this because it's not a conspiracy, but it is related

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/17/business/media/alex-jones-sandy-hook.html

Parents of children who were killed in the Sandy Hook shooting are suing Jones for defamation because he has been repeatedly claiming on air that the shooting was a hoax, that relatives were "in on it" and so on

Nonsense can wash in an echo chamber, but it quickly falls apart in a court case. Hope they clean him out.

If he somehow manages to win this case,and I'm just throwing this out there, how can we legitimately believe anything ever reported in the mainstream media again?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,765 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

It doesn't seem like he has much of a case, perhaps he could win on a technicality. If somehow he won outright - well it would prob just be a step backwards for those type of defamation cases. I am not sure how the case relates to global journalism as a whole - he isn't a journalist, he's a talk show host/"performance artist"

• Registered Users Posts: 25,226 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

It doesn't seem like he has much of a case, perhaps he could win on a technicality. If somehow he won outright - well it would prob just be a step backwards for those type of defamation cases. I am not sure how the case relates to global journalism as a whole - he isn't a journalist, he's a talk show host/"performance artist"
    I think the implication is that if he isn't done for defamation, then it must mean that he was telling the truth and these people are actually crisis actors.

Of course should he be guilty, then it's a ploy by the shadowy They.
    Either outcome will obviously point to a conspiracy and not to the idea of him being a snakeoil salesman who is responsible for the families of shooting victims being harassed so he could make a fast buck...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,901 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

King Mob wrote: »
    I think the implication is that if he isn't done for defamation, then it must mean that he was telling the truth and these people are actually crisis actors.

It won't be as simple as that. Jones could reasonably claim that it was part of his "act", that his shtick was fair play and he can't be held responsible for what other people do.

It could end up with him getting a slap on the wrist and told to modify his "act". Plus, he has already rolled back on his Sandy Hook gibberish, so he's contrite to a degree. Or, at least, seemingly so.

I've known of Alex Jones for a long time. I first saw him with Jon Ronson 20 years ago on Channel 4, when he was in his 20's and doing a radio broadcast from his bedroom. We're talking about a two decade professional with a huge number of miles in this kind of territory under his belt. I thought he was a joke then and he's still a joke. But, he's a joke with millions in the bank and a huge and ridiculously loyal following. This following is based on the fact that sometimes he reports on things that are factual, like his report on the strange goings on at Bohemian Grove.

The problem, however, with Jones is that he always goes on to embellish any kernel of truth - such as the strange goings on at Bohemian Grove - with his own outlandish claims - like child sacrifices at Bohemian Grove - and destroys any minimal credibility he may have had. He's also scattershot, in that he has no discriminatory aim. Everything is a conspiracy, and if it's not, he'll make it one. This is because he has to in order to keep his (now multi-million dollar) business going. He has a weekly show "exposing" conspiracies, when there aren't enough actual conspiracies to fill such a schedule. This means that inevitably he has to dig deeper and deeper into the absurdity barrel to get something that's in his mind worth talking about on his show.

This is where Jones becomes dangerous, as his brand of act can and does influence people to a very real degree. People are willing to believe just about anything he says, because he can get it right some of the time. But, Jones is the proverbial stopped clock in human form.

In saying that, I believe Jones has his place and in the interests of free speech. And while I understand why YouTube et al did what they did. I think it was probably a bad move. But, it's a move they are free to make as private companies whose bottom line is their bottom line. Still, Jones needs to learn (and he might learn the hard way now) to reign his neck in. When you start making up stuff about pizza pedos and crisis actors, you've crossed a line. Not only that, you bring a lot of impressionable minds across that line with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

Mutant z wrote: »
    I cant understand anyone who takes Alex Jones as a reliable source.

You could make that case against hundreds of sources and not all of them are conspiracy theorists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,679 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Tony EH wrote: »
    It won't be as simple as that. Jones could reasonably claim that it was part of his "act", that his shtick was fair play and he can't be held responsible for what other people do.

It could end up with him getting a slap on the wrist and told to modify his "act". Plus, he has already rolled back on his Sandy Hook gibberish, so he's contrite to a degree. Or, at least, seemingly so.

I've known of Alex Jones for a long time. I first saw him with Jon Ronson 20 years ago on Channel 4, when he was in his 20's and doing a radio broadcast from his bedroom. We're talking about a two decade professional with a huge number of miles in this kind of territory under his belt. I thought he was a joke then and he's still a joke. But, he's a joke with millions in the bank and a huge and ridiculously loyal following. This following is based on the fact that sometimes he reports on things that are factual, like his report on the strange goings on at Bohemian Grove.

The problem, however, with Jones is that he always goes on to embellish any kernel of truth - such as the strange goings on at Bohemian Grove - with his own outlandish claims - like child sacrifices at Bohemian Grove - and destroys any minimal credibility he may have had. He's also scattershot, in that he has no discriminatory aim. Everything is a conspiracy, and if it's not, he'll make it one. This is because he has to in order to keep his (now multi-million dollar) business going. He has a weekly show "exposing" conspiracies, when there aren't enough actual conspiracies to fill such a schedule. This means that inevitably he has to dig deeper and deeper into the absurdity barrel to get something that's in his mind worth talking about on his show.

This is where Jones becomes dangerous, as his brand of act can and does influence people to a very real degree. People are willing to believe just about anything he says, because he can get it right some of the time. But, Jones is the proverbial stopped clock in human form.

In saying that, I believe Jones has his place and in the interests of free speech. And while I understand why YouTube et al did what they did. I think it was probably a bad move. But, it's a move they are free to make as private companies whose bottom line is their bottom line. Still, Jones needs to learn (and he might learn the hard way now) to reign his neck in. When you start making up stuff about pizza pedos and crisis actors, you've crossed a line. Not only that, you bring a lot of impressionable minds across that line with you.

So I could go into a place yell FIRE or something worse by pointing to a person and if anything happen I will just say that and see how far I get

That's not even remotely near the point made.

That's not even remotely near the point made.

To me it was. The bit bolded was he can go I can't be responsible for what I say and how people take it up. That is bull of the highest order

It isn't, I'm afraid. American law won't hold you responsible for other people's actions. Into the bargain, Jones can say that the people harassing the parents of Sandyhook, were taking his words out of context and that he never intended for his words to be used in such a manner. He could even go further and claim that his act was "art", should his lawyer advise.

Such a position can be upheld in a court, if one can prove that no malice was intended.

You simplistic "yelling fire" analogy doesn't really apply here and in any case would come down to two junctures. Whether the person doing the yelling actually believed there was a fire, or whether they did it for malicious purposes.

Either way, both situations would have to be proven and where innocence is presumed, as it should be in all court cases, a judge would be likely to err on the side of honest mistake.

If things get too hot for Jones, I could easily see him trying that defence in court and trying to worm his way out of the situation he's in.

It isn't, I'm afraid. American law won't hold you responsible for other people's actions. Into the bargain, Jones can say that the people harassing the parents of Sandyhook, were taking his words out of context and that he never intended for his words to be used in such a manner. He could even go further and claim that his act was "art", should his lawyer advise.

Such a position can be upheld in a court, if one can prove that no malice was intended.

You simplistic "yelling fire" analogy doesn't really apply here and in any case would come down to two junctures. Whether the person doing the yelling actually believed there was a fire, or whether they did it for malicious purposes.

Either way, both situations would have to be proven and where innocence is presumed, as it should be in all court cases, a judge would be likely to err on the side of honest mistake.

If things get too hot for Jones, I could easily see him trying that defence in court and trying to worm his way out of the situation he's in.

We will see but that bull in my estimation

• Advertisement

Yeah I agree, taking the view that it's an "act" means that his audience should be privvy to that or that it should be obvious (it wasn't) - and at no point in his career has he ever personally laid claim that it was an act (whatever about his attorney)

A lawyer would demolish that argument in seconds in court

It would be the equivalent of David Irving turning around after x number of decades and claiming his anti-Semitic Holocaust denial was really just an "act" and "lol people should have known, it's just a prank bro"

Doesn't wash

Yeah I agree, taking the view that it's an "act" means that his audience should be privvy to that or that it should be obvious (it wasn't) - and at no point in his career has he ever personally laid claim that it was an act (whatever about his attorney)

A lawyer would demolish that argument in seconds in court

It would be the equivalent of David Irving turning around after x number of decades and claiming his anti-Semitic Holocaust denial was really just an "act" and "lol people should have known, it's just a prank bro"

Doesn't wash

It doesn't matter whether it "doesn't wash" to us. What matters is if he (or his brief) uses it as a defence in a court. Jones has already stated in a previous case that he is an "act" and part of that act is the angry man on the radio.

It's very possible that he may choose to solidify that statement or grounds for defence if it gets hot under the collar for him in this case.

Whether we think it's "bull" or "doesn't wash" is meaningless. The only thing that matters is whether the judge present accepts it as an honest position.

If that is the defense, an "act" would imply innocence (and ignorance) on Jones part of the consequences. Given the time period, it's unlikely any judge would give Jones the benefit on the doubt that he simply didn't know that his followers were reacting to his "act" and harassing the people he identified as actors

So far in the defamation case, he isn't use the "act" defense, he's using the free speech one, aka the constitution defending the rights of fringe speech and they are trying to get the case dismissed on those grounds

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

He won't say it's an act, since he depends on his followers believe that he is a genuine source of information, that's why he's sticking with freedom of speech.
    And exactly that will be his downfall.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,825 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Sure he will be grand just needs to guzzle all those crappy supplements he pushes and he will be flying!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

Have you seen the latest drama? Joe Rogan and Alex Jones are fighting and throwing insults at each other. Joe Rogan recently brought on the Twitter CE0 and Joe according to Alex Jones is now a corporate shill.

Alex is clearly losing his mind go watch his rants on Youtube :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Lil Sally Anne Jnr.

Don't see how having an unorthodox opinion about something, even something as serious as this, can qualify as defamation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Don't see how having an unorthodox opinion about something, even something as serious as this, can qualify as defamation.

He's accusing them of being involved a cover up which is supposedly an attempt to restrict peoples right, amongst other things.
    All going well, he ends up living out of a dumpster after this.

It's much more than an "unorthodox opinion" unfortunately. From the article:

"Mark Barden, a plaintiff in the case whose son, Daniel, was killed in the shooting, released a statement Wednesday supporting Bellis's ruling.

“For years, Alex Jones and his co-conspirators have turned the unthinkable loss of our sweet little Daniel and of so many others into advertising dollars and fundraising appeals. It is far beyond time that he be held accountable for the pain his false narratives have caused so many and today’s ruling brings us one step closer to doing that.”"

Death threats, harassment. Went on for years under Jones's encouragement.

"AUSTIN, Tex. — In the five years since Noah Pozner was killed at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn., death threats and online harassment have forced his parents, Veronique De La Rosa and Leonard Pozner, to relocate seven times. They now live in a high-security community hundreds of miles from where their 6-year-old is buried.

“I would love to go see my son’s grave and I don’t get to do that, but we made the right decision,” Ms. De La Rosa said in a recent interview. Each time they have moved, online fabulists stalking the family have published their whereabouts."
    https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/31/us/politics/alex-jones-defamation-suit-sandy-hook.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭splashuum

Alex Jones is a genius. He has everybody talking/fighting about him. Infowars is absolutely massive even after being censored by the looney left. #FreeAlexJones ;)

splashuum wrote: »
    Alex Jones is a genius. He has everybody talking/fighting about him. Infowars is absolutely massive even after being censored by the looney left. #FreeAlexJones ;)

That's what he thought too, but traffic dropped after the bans

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/04/technology/alex-jones-infowars-bans-traffic.html

• Registered Users Posts: 10,822 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Yeah, sorry, you don't get to call it the Looney left when you're siding with Alex Jones.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,400 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Oh look who has decided to pop his head up after this utter embarrassment of a thread he started showed him up for the utter fool he is :pac:

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057956999/1/#post109449454

Will you be going back to reply to the questions asked of you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭The Good Ole Boys

What a bunch of whiners. They should be ashamed of themselves. Alex Jones is a good, honest man. He risks his life saying the things he does. These people are greedy, just after his money. I feel sick.

Oh look who has decided to pop his head up after this utter embarrassment of a thread he started showed him up for the utter fool he is pacman.gif

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057956999/1/#post109449454

Will you be going back to reply to the questions asked of you?

Why do you abuse him like this and get away with it? It's shocking behaviour, completely shocking. I am actually looking at your "post" in disbelief. In all my 3 years on the internet, it's one of the most disgusting things I have witnessed.

Why do you abuse him like this and get away with it? It's shocking behaviour, completely shocking. I am actually looking at your "post" in disbelief. In all my 3 years on the internet, it's one of the most disgusting things I have witnessed.

Because he created a thread full of lies then wouldn't answer the questions asked of him. Liars should be called out at every opportunity don't you agree?

Because he created a thread full of lies then wouldn't answer the questions asked of him. Liars should be called out at every opportunity don't you agree?

You abused him. It's different. It's disgusting.

What a bunch of whiners. They should be ashamed of themselves. Alex Jones is a good, honest man. He risks his life saying the things he does. These people are greedy, just after his money. I feel sick.

Alex jones is a liar and a fraud who feeds off the gullible.

• Advertisement

Alex jones is a liar and a fraud who feeds off the gullible.

Please provide proof of this ridiculous claim. Alex Jones is a hero. He risked his life going to Bohemian Grove.

Advertisement