Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Jordan Peterson

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,921 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

jackboy wrote: »
    The far right does exist. The far left also exists. They are equally dangerous, as history shows. Strict definitions of far left, far right and Marxism are outdated. Principles are rapidly evolving and sometimes don’t even seem to make sense.

It’s all basically extremism.

Yeah and Peterson sells a narrative where Marxism is the enemy and Marxism was the enemy for a while when he was flogging it. Marxism's not being relevant was not relevant to the narrative. Th narrative was necessary to sell the books and lectures. It didn’t need to be real to sell books and lectures.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Black Swan wrote: »
    The media attention came close to the publication of his 12 Rules book (16 January 2018), so it probably helped sales.

Well, he was prolly doing a media tour, as all people who have a book to promote do. I'm sure that's why he did the now infamous C4 interview. I'd imagine it was in his contract with his publisher to participate in media interviews, no?. It's as much the publisher that wants the sales if not more so than the author.

Are there many authors that publish books who don't expect a return? Can't image why one would bother otherwise. Unless your Jesus.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,223 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

You wouldn't think there's that much Marxism about. Marxists are a very safe enemy to have. They don't really exist as a group so they won't even fight back so they're an ideal nemesis.
    ...I strongly suspect it was the leftists and the Marxists.
    In this day and age discussing "Marxists" has become passé in the West. The "leftists" label has been confounded by many things, and has not been the clear cut nominal, either/or definition that many think can be treated as a given. For example, what is left in America may be considered to the right in Ireland, depending upon your point of view. Personally, I don't know what "leftists" are from a generic standpoint, or from that of Jordan Peterson position accordingly.

AllForIt wrote: »
    Well, he was prolly doing a media tour, as all people who have a book to promote do. I'm sure that's why he did the now infamous C4 interview. I'd imagine it was in his contract with his publisher to participate in media interviews, no?. It's as much the publisher that wants the sales if not more so than the author.

To what extent did Jordan Peterson exploit a gender controversy to sell 12 Rules? If he was merely following his publisher's direction, can he claim ignorance on the way to the bank? Or if such things are common among authors when their book has been released, does this excuse such behavior? It certainly does not build a foundation for a higher moral ground to Peterson's arguments in books and vids.

To what extent did Jordan Peterson exploit a gender controversy to sell 12 Rules? If he was merely following his publisher's direction, can he claim ignorance on the way to the bank? Or if such things are common among authors when their book has been released, does this excuse such behavior? It certainly does not build a foundation for a higher moral ground to Peterson's arguments in books and vids.

I would think Marxists are completely irrelevant in this day and age but Peterson went on about them as if they were a big problem. But people followed suit and you could see it on boards where the Marxists wee blamed for loads of the world's leading perceived ills.

Peterson was just selling a product. He had a market which was mostly the American conservatives your Fox News supporters for example. His message is Amoral. He's just selling a product these people want to buy. The problem was the fact of the world changing and the villains were the other crowd - the left, the feminists, the Marxists.

Honestly I don't expect him to behave morally. He's just selling a product so morals don't really come into it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,223 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

I would think Marxists are completely irrelevant in this day and age but Peterson went on about them as if they were a big problem.
    As mentioned earlier in this thread, Peterson attempts to offer "Ozzy & Harriet" outdated solutions to the confusion that some males may be experiencing due to changing gender roles and expectations. This was consistent with Peterson's passé McCarthy Era comments about Marxists.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,001 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

He might be cooking up some right wing home remedies like his cure for depression. Didn't he claim he cured his depression with an all beef diet?
    Was this diet advocated by Jordan or his wife Mikhaila Peterson?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,001 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

The far right does exist. The far left also exists.
    Far right of what? Far left of? Is there a universal definition that holds globally? Or varies by geopolitical region? Please define. Especially in terms of our discussion of Jordan Peterson's positions.
    Strict definitions of far left, far right and Marxism are outdated.
    How? Problems with strict definitions? Left or right were dichotomies. Marx's two main classes (bourgeoisie and proletariat) were dichotomies. Jacques Derrida saw dichotomies as problematic. They were not independent of each other. Not clearly opposite. Practically and typically they occurred in hierarchical fashion; one favored over the other. Thus confounded. Not strictly differentiated. Without universally accepted definitions. Varying geopolitically. Too often separated into two categories; lacking multi-dimensions frequently occurring in the nature of phenomena.
    Principles are rapidly evolving and sometimes don’t even seem to make sense.
    Change is/was a constant.

Well, he was prolly doing a media tour, as all people who have a book to promote do. I'm sure that's why he did the now infamous C4 interview. I'd imagine it was in his contract with his publisher to participate in media interviews, no?. It's as much the publisher that wants the sales if not more so than the author. Are there many authors that publish books who don't expect a return? Can't image why one would bother otherwise. Unless your Jesus.
    Jordan Peterson in the C4 interview. Also in Maps and 12 Rules rides his high horse. Further... to challenge him was to misunderstand him. His defense and those of his followers. Typical defense used by Donald Trump apologists; the new normal in North America.

As mentioned earlier in this thread, Peterson attempts to offer "Ozzy & Harriet" outdated solutions to the confusion that some males may be experiencing due to changing gender roles and expectations. This was consistent with Peterson's passé McCarthy Era comments about Marxists.

I had to goole Ozzy & Harriet but that sound about right. And I think some people really do struggle with the way the world had changed. The world is always changing and lots of people always struggle with it.

"They don't make them like they used to" is something people have said throughout the years. It's just something some people feel and Peterson is tapping into that urge. It’s a fairly substantial market. Just look on boards.ie, at how many people struggle with change in society. I just don’t assume he actually believes any of the stuff he’s talking about. He’s just selling a product he knows some people who can’t keep up with the world, want to buy.

Fathom wrote: »

He talked about it as if it was real and didn’t have the skepticism or integrity to say it was nonsense. It was just something that played well to his people so he ran with it. An all beef diet, FFS. That should have been a pretty big red flag that he’s a spoofer or is unwell but you’d be surprised at how many of his supporters on boards.ie were talking about it as if it might have been real.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Mikhaila is his daughter. Did you think his wife was 26 years old?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

That's his daughter just FYI.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

He talked about it as if it was real and didn’t have the skepticism or integrity to say it was nonsense. It was just something that played well to his people so he ran with it. An all beef diet, FFS. That should have been a pretty big red flag that he’s a spoofer or is unwell but you’d be surprised at how many of his supporters on boards.ie were talking about it as if it might have been real.

It is real in the sense that he follows it, or claims to do so, as does his daughter. In any interviews I've heard, he doesn't advise anybody else to follow it, but said it helped considerably with his mental health issues (specifically, long term depression), psoriasis and his weight gain issues. He acknowledged he is not a dietary expert, his positive experiences were anecdotal but that it worked for him and his daughter.

It is real in the sense that he follows it, or claims to do so, as does his daughter. In any interviews I've heard, he doesn't advise anybody else to follow it, but said it helped considerably with his mental health issues (specifically, long term depression), psoriasis and his weight gain issues. He acknowledged he is not a dietary expert, his positive experiences were anecdotal but that it worked for him and his daughter.

Ah yeah so it's an old wives tale about a 'cure'. There are loads of 'cures' in folk tales from holy wells for skin problems to looking through a gold ring to cure eye trouble. And Peterson has a 'cure' for a whole list of ailments which you mentioned in your post above.

But it wasn't just his musings - it fit with his narrative. An all beef diet lol. It's literally throwing red meat to his conservative audience. It's sticking it to the vegetarians and vegans and environmental 'PC gone mad' people, all rolled into one folk tale about a 'cure'.

It was just marketing his product to his target audience. If he has any integrity he'll regret that particular marketing ploy. It was pretty cynical, even his supporters will surely admit it's a nonsense 'cure'.

An all beef diet, FFS. That should have been a pretty big red flag that he’s a spoofer...
    How about his existential lobster diet? Or would that be metaphorical cannibalism?
    tuxy wrote: »
    Mikhaila is his daughter. Did you think his wife was 26 years old?
    My bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

His daughter does look great on the all meat diet but it's probably just eating the correct amount of calories plus exercise and good genetics. Right?

It is real in the sense that he follows it, or claims to do so, as does his daughter.
    Is this an example of the Thomas theorem: "If men define situations as real, they are real in their consequences?"

His daughter does look great on the all meat diet but it's probably just eating the correct amount of calories plus exercise and good genetics. Right?
    Jordan uses pseudo science to support his arguments; e.g. Left brain - right brain in Maps; or lobsters and humans in 12 Rules. I would be cautious about his (or her) all meat diet. Overtime it may be hazardous.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭jackboy

I would be cautious about his (or her) all meat diet. Overtime it may be hazardous.

Yep, just like veganism.

Fad diets can be useful if a lot of weight needs to be lost very fast but beyond that they probably do more harm than good.

I don't believe they ate an all meat diet just because they said they did. Nor do I believe an all meat diet would cure depression, erectile disfunction, or bring about world peace or whatever the Petersons claim.

Where did they even claim to hear about this miracle cure or did they invent it themselves?

All meat diet FFS. Can you imagine him coming out and saying an all kale diet was a miracle cure? Or saying a vegan diet was a miracle cure? An all meat diet is just a little in-joke for conservative Americans because they already dislike proponents of vegetarian diets because they're associated with environmentalists and liberals. It's nonsense and there's absolutely no reason to even believe he ate an all meat diet.

• Advertisement

It was just marketing his product to his target audience. If he has any integrity he'll regret that particular marketing ploy. It was pretty cynical, even his supporters will surely admit it's a nonsense 'cure'.

Per The Atlantic: "She is not doing sponsored posts for health products, but actively selling one-on-one counseling ($75 for a half hour)..." Riding on the controversial book marketing coattails of her father to advertise her counseling, or what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭nkl12xtw5goz70

Well, there were a lot of journalist's who were eager to interview and perhaps discredit Peterson but it didn't quite work, like The Guardian interview https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZYQpge1W5s. I just get the feeling the interview didn't go quite the way Helen Lewis was expecting or hoping.

I can't imagine that many seasoned academics would be easily discredited by journalists (who typically lack depth of education and knowledge), and that Lewis interview is a case in point. Right from the off, she's hopelessly outmatched in terms of intellect and experience, and things don't improve for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

What I've had at the back of my mind,since skimming through a lot of the Maps of Meaning on Youtube a while back, is the nature of the classes that Peterson gives, and what I imagine is the pot luck of who is teaching, and what he/she (or ze?) happens to be be teaching.
    I assume when picking the psychology course, Peterson came along as one of a suite of lecturers; or was it an optional standalone that he offered, not as part of any future exam?
    Peterson seems to be offering a hypothesis of how to interpret human behaviour, as a blueprint for personal meaning, or how to live a meaningful life, but presented in lecture form i.e. as a course like any other 'standard' psychology course. Does anyone know if this is the case, or was there any prior acknowledgement and 'acceptance' of its idiosyncronous content?

Peterson... what he/she (or ze?) happens to be be teaching.

I assume when picking the psychology course, Peterson came along as one of a suite of lecturers; or was it an optional standalone that he offered, not as part of any future exam?
    Jordan Peterson is a professor of psychology at University of Toronto, Canada. During winter 2017 Peterson was responsible for 3 classes. Two pertained to research hours, where essentially he worked with graduate students towards their degrees in clinical psychology. He taught one undergraduate class Psy 230 H, Personality and its Transformation. It was a review class of 20th Century clinical psychologists and psychiatrists (e.g., Freud, Jung, Adler, and the like), as well as pre-scientific psychological thought. This class fit with his emphasis on clinical psychology at Toronto, and his self-help Maps and 12 Rules books primarily intended for those males having difficulty with today's changing gender roles. The class was attended by both men and women, as it would more than likely satisfy GE credit for a 4-year degree.

... his self-help Maps and 12 Rules books primarily intended for those males having difficulty with today's changing gender roles.

Are his books really "primarily intended for those males having difficulty with today's changing gender roles"? I have not read Peterson's 12 Rules for Life: An Antidote to Chaos, but flipped through it in a bookstore before Christmas while my children were busy picking out cards and wrapping paper. It seemed to contain homespun and somewhat idiosyncratic advice (he recommends petting cats and not bothering children when they are skateboarding) that could apply to anyone, really.

I'm at a loss to understand why Peterson is so reviled. Besides questioning a number of cultural Marxist precepts, much of his commentary seems quite pragmatic and balanced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭dwayneshintzy

[url=https://www.splcenter.org/fighting-hate/intelligence-report/2003/cultural-marxism-catching[/url]'Cultural Marxism' Catching On[/url]

Southern Poverty Law Center on "Cultural Marxism" back in 2003

Are his books really "primarily intended for those males having difficulty with today's changing gender roles"? I have not read Peterson's 12 Rules for Life: An Antidote to Chaos, but flipped through it in a bookstore before Christmas while my children were busy picking out cards and wrapping paper. It seemed to contain homespun and somewhat idiosyncratic advice (he recommends petting cats and not bothering children when they are skateboarding) that could apply to anyone, really.

I'm at a loss to understand why Peterson is so reviled. Besides questioning a number of cultural Marxist precepts, much of his commentary seems quite pragmatic and balanced.

I think you've got the answer to your own question in that post. Nobody has criticised him for advising petting cats or not bothering children when they are skateboarding. But people have criticised him for the anti Marxist part. He's selling his product to the bloke's who can't keep up with change in the world. So he's creating an enemy and blaming them for everything that's his target market finds wrong with the world.

Not to mention the all beef diet 'cure' which was discussed a few pages back. That's just selling out to the point that should make even his most dedicated followers cringe.

If you find anyone criticising his stance on petting cats or bothering skateboarding teenagers, let me know.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,129 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

There is very little advice in the book. The chapters come bearing titles that have all but no indication as to their true contents.

In the prologue, Peterson takes several pages to explain that too much order leads to tyranny while too much chaos leads to anarchy. Therefore, his conclusion is that a balance is required. In the first chapter he waffles on and on about lobsters' sizing up rituals and concludes that women like confident men.

I get the impression that when a publisher offered to publish a book for him, he just started rambling on and on about nothing in particular, going off on several irrelevant tangents about men in academia, Marxism, postmodernism, etc with the result being that the publisher just decided to call it a self help book because they didn't know how else to proceed.

I dislike Peterson because he perpetuates climate change denialism. I couldn't care less about his all beef diet, his Christianity, Conservative views, etc. In the book, he cites the same few sources over and over again, namely the bible, Freud and Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn. Oddly, he never seems to find time to criticise Hitler and the Nazis but there's always time for a bit of Marx-bashing. What that has to do with a self-help book I'll never know.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

I dislike Peterson because he perpetuates climate change denialism.

I didn't get the impression that he denies climate change, but that he doesn't think we can come together to solve it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBbvehbomrY&t=307s

• Advertisement

Nobody has criticised him for advising petting cats or not bothering children when they are skateboarding. But people have criticised him for the anti Marxist part.

Numerous intellectuals have criticized Marxist thought — including Nobel laureates like Friedrich Hayek, Milton Friedman, and James Buchanan — so I'm at a loss to know why Peterson's opposition to it should spark a backlash to the point where the Guardian is publishing articles entitled "How dangerous is Jordan B Peterson?" Have we reached the point where anyone who questions Marxist orthodoxy is identified as "dangerous"?
    I get the impression that when a publisher offered to publish a book for him, he just started rambling on and on about nothing in particular, going off on several irrelevant tangents about men in academia, Marxism, postmodernism, etc with the result being that the publisher just decided to call it a self help book because they didn't know how else to proceed.

I haven't read the book, but from what I understand, he presents it as an "antidote to chaos" — meaning that it's a corrective to what he perceives as the wrongheaded thinking being taught in some sectors of universities? I'll take your word for it that it's digressive and rambling, but possibly because he wants to get to the root of this "chaos."
    I dislike Peterson because he perpetuates climate change denialism. I couldn't care less about his all beef diet, his Christianity, Conservative views, etc. In the book, he cites the same few sources over and over again, namely the bible, Freud and Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn. Oddly, he never seems to find time to criticise Hitler and the Nazis but there's always time for a bit of Marx-bashing. What that has to do with a self-help book I'll never know.

Since the '60s, many academic departments in the humanities and social sciences have become cultural Marxist fiefdoms. A recent study of American universities found that professors' voting patterns skew far to the left of the general population — in Peterson's own field of psychology, registered Democrat professors outnumber registered Republicans by a ratio of 17 to one, while the ratio goes up to 33 to one in history departments. Around 13 percent of American university professors describe themselves as "far left," versus the 0.4 percent who identify as "far right." So it's not surprising that Peterson criticizes Marxists, given their hegemony over academia and their influence over young people's minds.

From what I can see, Peterson takes issue with students being encouraged to think of themselves as oppressed victims — of the patriarchy, of capitalism, of colonialism, of the "right," etc. — rather than being empowered through education to become confident, assertive agents in the world. I'd fully agree with that myself, actually.

Advertisement