Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dublin wind directions

• 11-08-2014 12:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭

Hey folks,

Beginner kiter here - have been "learning" for the last 2 years on and off :pac:

Just wondering about suitable wind directions for Dublin area

What wind directions are most suitable for Dollymount and Sutton, considering I'm a beginner?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 tonyhumphreys

Quandary wrote: »
    Hey folks,

Beginner kiter here - have been "learning" for the last 2 years on and off :pac:

Just wondering about suitable wind directions for Dublin area

What wind directions are most suitable for Dollymount and Sutton, considering I'm a beginner?

Thanks!

Dollymount:
    Works from NE around to SW "works" in NE and SW however these two direction in particular can result in a not so good a session, reason? NE is coming over Howth Head so the wind tends to be up/down, similar for SW only this tends to be more gusty and unpredictable and usually veers to straight W (offshore) in the gusts, personally best for Dolly is East around to S as mentioned it does work in others but hit and miss as to whether you'll get a good session or not. the sweet spot is a honking 25kt SE

Sutton:
    Works NW around to ENE, some people kite it in WNW at low tide, however bear in mind the wind has travelled the width of the country so can be very unstable and unpredictable by the time it gets to Sutton, even in NW it can be quite gusty,(not always but can be) there's a bit of a current in the channel too which is accentuated when the wind has any W in it, so it has been a bit of a board graveyard in that respect
    See you on the water!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭Quandary

Dollymount:
    Works from NE around to SW "works" in NE and SW however these two direction in particular can result in a not so good a session, reason? NE is coming over Howth Head so the wind tends to be up/down, similar for SW only this tends to be more gusty and unpredictable and usually veers to straight W (offshore) in the gusts, personally best for Dolly is East around to S as mentioned it does work in others but hit and miss as to whether you'll get a good session or not. the sweet spot is a honking 25kt SE

Sutton:
    Works NW around to ENE, some people kite it in WNW at low tide, however bear in mind the wind has travelled the width of the country so can be very unstable and unpredictable by the time it gets to Sutton, even in NW it can be quite gusty,(not always but can be) there's a bit of a current in the channel too which is accentuated when the wind has any W in it, so it has been a bit of a board graveyard in that respect
    See you on the water!

Hi Tony!

Thanks for the great response - All that information is very helpful! Was thinking of trying Sutton in a couple of hours just to see how it goes.

If you see a red Liquid Force Envy dragging some lad around the place it'll be me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 tonyhumphreys

Hi Quandary... just wondering how it went? (been having trouble logging on here, hence gap in posts)
    Seems like there has been a couple of good WNW sessions lately, I might have to review my info!
    I'll keep an eye out for ya, I'll be on Liquid Force NRG's either Orange/Black or Blue/Yellow.
    See you on the water sometime.
    Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭Quandary

Hi Tony!

The session went quite well but I spent most of it practicing my upwind body dragging. The tide was on the way out at Sutton so I wasn't making much ground upwind but it was good practice! I tried a few water starts but didn't have much joy.

I spent yesterday in Castlegregory in Kerry. Managed to get my first successful ride but only stayed up for like 3 seconds! It's definite progress though!

I might give sutton another go when the tide is completely out just to practice in the shallow water!

Advertisement