Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Census House Numbers

• 19-08-2011 11:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭

This might be a dumb question but how can I link a census house number to an actual location. Is there a map showing the enumerator number system for the area?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

depends on the area - for urban areas the numbers may be street numbers, although sometimes they dont match up, particularly on the 1901 returns. You can view the actual street number vs the enumerators site number on the reverse of the household forms - only available on the 1911 returns.

The building returns (Form B1) can often provide useful clues.

For townlands (i.e. rural area) the number was just the number assigned to the household by the local enumerator for the purposes of the census. I'm not aware of any defined system for this or any documentation or maps

Shane

Advertisement