Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

where to get me a cargo bike

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭dingbat

Lots of domestic, with significant uptick IMO since Covid and mass working from home. This is one of the things that will stick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭Ferris

That Cube cargo bike is a lot cheaper than the equivalent Urban Arrow to be fair as its the twin battery setup. I would say range is a big consideration for a cargo bike so thats a big plus. And they've copied the raincover too but it won't carry as many kids (2 vs. 3).

Cargo bikes, specifically eCargo) are still too expensive but if you are replacing a car the return on investment is still pretty short and thats before you get to the lifestyle benefits so I can see how people are justifying the expense. With an eCargo I could do my current ebike commute and drop the kids to their minder - that is something I am seriously considering.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,843 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Ya if your translating from English that would be it alright, but if ya translate from the Dutch bakfiets - it would be rothar bosca.

Am going Dutch with this one! They have been leaders on this type of bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,735 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Oh yeah, I wasn't disagreeing with you. I just looked up "rothar lastais" and found a few uses.

Sustrans document used it here: https://www.sustrans.org.uk/media/7354/bike-life-dublin-ma-2019-text-only.doc

leoraí-bhaidhsicil mentioned here, which is quite good!

• Advertisement

I grew up in the Gaeltacht and had to look that one up!😂 (ya bhaidhsicil is far more common term than rothar on the West Coast )

Reason I like "rothar bosca" is the simplicity of it, even people with only a couple of words will be able to understand the meaning, but "bosca bhaidhsicil" would be even be a better direct translation of bakfiets

Yeah, I remember "baidhsicil" coming up before on Twitter. It's a great word. It reminds me of those Myles na gCopaleen Cruiskeen Lawn pieces written in English using elaborate Irish spellings.

"Tá roth do baidhsicil dul timpeall" - silly joke when I was a kid that we used to say when somebody cycled past ya.

Back in 90's was still loads of people cycling of all ages (utility cycling) where I grew up, same with Honda 50's going about the place - don't see mcuh of them either any more, owning a car got cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Second hand Riese & Muller Packster 40 for sale here in case anyone is interested.

https://www.adverts.ie/electric-folding-bikes/riese-muller-packster-40-touring-hs-45km-e-cargo-bike-for-sale/26027487

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

I didn't know they came with odometers!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 47,997 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

my wife's ebike has an odometer, and it's not a cargo bike. i think they're fairly standard?

All e-bikes do - the computer allows you to control assist levels as well as displaying speed, distance etc.

It makes sense, I just hadn't thought about it. I've only ridden a couple of e-bikes, and never noticed it on the display at the time. A Chinese cargo bike, and a Santa Cruz mountain bike.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 47,997 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i think you can cycle through various display options, probably depends on the particular interface.

one would assume it's not all in one single lot.

I went through the listings last week, they're all listed separately and are of various levels of completeness (some missing batteries and/or chargers etc). I wouldn't be surprised however if someone like Greenaer was to try to buy them as a single lot. I'm pretty sure actually that they tweeted last week saying they would be bidding.

Also I posted this on the journalism thread.

It's worth noting that according to Irishcycle.com those are longer than standard Urban Arrows and hence can't take the box for child seats etc. I'd have been curious about them but expect that the shops or a business will be looking at them.

I can't link the Twitter thread but it sounds like there will be 25% commission plus VAT on the bike which could increase the hammer price by upwards of 50%. Some of them are also missing batteries plus chargers so would need to be very careful if purchasing!

edit: I didn't realise that the auction started today at 1pm! I'll be interested to see what comes of it.

Post edited by mr spuckler on

Yeah, it will be interesting to follow. Viewing was only today, so you won't have another chance to look at them.

Can't really afford one at the moment anyway as I've already got a Bullitt!

Saw a chap really, really fighting with his three wheeler cargo bike one morning this week. Wasn't even going around a corner - it was just the camber of the road.

He looked like a sailor hanging off the side of a catamaran.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I'm in the market for one of these.

Is it a bad idea to buy second hand? I've a lot of experience of buying normal bikes second hand but just wondering how much of an issue is it with an ebike?

I've looked at Urban Arrow,Cube, Riese & Muller, Bullit, Babble. Any other brands to consider (or any to avoid)?

• Advertisement

Probably a good saving getting one second hand. There was one posted earlier in this thread over on adverts that looks good, a Riese & Muller,

There's another on adverts that's four years old being sold for more than the cost of it new, which seems crazy to me.

Yep, here's the one I posted earlier. I'd have thought you could get Greenaer to give it a once-over if seriously thinking of buying (it may well be where he gets it serviced anyway). They'd also give you thoughts on risks associated with buying second hand. From my experience when dealing with them a couple of years ago (when I got oh so close to buying but never actually pulled the trigger!), they're very helpful and happy to share their knowledge of the bikes, market etc.

Those cargo bikes at auction are ending up at about €3500 plus commission and vat.

Edit: So roughly €5,400 when everything is paid, plus the cost of a new charger.

interesting that there's that much interest! all being bought by a single buyer, maybe?

I read somewhere that Greenaer were planning to bid on them.

Babboe not a lot of bike for the money, given how battered some of them look.

Yeah they said so on Twitter. Does anyone know what kind of price the bikes sold for?

About €5400 when all charges and tax applied.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 sandy2000

Sorry to ask but couldnt find an answer in the thread to the specific question. I had a Load 75 on order but there have been repeat delays so need to try and source an alternative. Aside from it can only carry two kids instead of three, how does the Cube that CSS have compare? There dont seem to be many reviews of it out there so if anyone has any insight, would be really helpful thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭Ferris

EBR seem to do good reviews:

CUBE Cargo Sport Hybrid Review | ElectricBikeReview.com

The YouTube comments seem to show owner experience. For me this bike is more a competitor for the Bullitt - relatively light weight and fast moving but has front suspension which the Bullitt doesn't have but no rear suspension like the R&M has. CSS seem to only offer the twin battery option which is a no brainer for me, it rather be looking at battery capacity then looking for it.

Advertisement