Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish DNA blueprint more closely related to Basques

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

owenc wrote: »
    They can i swear if i can get the website i'll show you. and i'm not lying it did say that on the dna test results. edit: i can't be bothered but it is there.

Did you ever enter your home address into their forms or website?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Did you ever enter your home address into their forms or website?

OMG i'm not lying it even says on there website that they can detect regions.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

OMG i'm not lying it even says on there website that they can detect regions.:rolleyes:

I'd say it'd more a case of an educated guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

He is not saying you are lying.

Very strange that a DNA test can tell where you are currently living. Does this website have a side business of psychic readings?

owen; out of interest what haplotypes showed up?

• Advertisement

fontanalis wrote: »
    owen; out of interest what haplotypes showed up?

I already told you r1a. Don't go into detail it was one of my dads brothers who did it so i don't know. all i know is it said northern ireland and north east scotland.

MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    He is not saying you are lying.

Very strange that a DNA test can tell where you are currently living. Does this website have a side business of psychic readings?

I swear i'm not lying..

Nevermind i found it, and lol northern ireland is acutallly in the example lol : http://www.dna-worldwide.com/ancestry-testing/male-ancestry/

I already told you r1a. Don't go into detail it was one of my dads brothers who did it so i don't know. all i know is it said northern ireland and north east scotland.

Thought more than one may have showed up.

Thought more than one may have showed up.

Well i don't know i never seen it, did you read that thing? It proves i'm not lying and it can detect northern ireland lol, no clue how but it does!:eek:

• Advertisement

Well i don't know i never seen it, did you read that thing? It proves i'm not lying and it can detect northern ireland lol, no clue how but it does!:eek:

From the website

As an example, where it was once achievable to tell if your Y-chromosome was Haplogroup I (Central European), we're now able to focus the test and determine if your Y-chromosome is in fact sub-haplogroup I1b2 (almost exclusively found in Sardinia).

What was the exact wording from the test?

From the website

As an example, where it was once achievable to tell if your Y-chromosome was Haplogroup I (Central European), we're now able to focus the test and determine if your Y-chromosome is in fact sub-haplogroup I1b2 (almost exclusively found in Sardinia).

What was the exact wording from the test?

I just told you that i have no clue i don't have the test he just told us that it said north east scotland, northern ireland and r1a haplogroup, don't ask me anymore as its pointless i don't know.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

How can a Haplogroup be hated?

Be positive: anything is possible given the correct economic and political conditions! :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

Well i don't know i never seen it

I've never seen it.
    I never saw it.

Never, ever, ever should you say "I never seen it". What next? "I done it", "I seen it"?

It's a disgrace that an Irishman has to tell this to a British loyalist like you. Owen. What would Her Majesty think?

Rebelheart wrote: »
    I've never seen it.
    I never saw it.

Never, ever, ever should you say "I never seen it". What next? "I done it", "I seen it"?

It's a disgrace that an Irishman has to tell this to a British loyalist like you. Owen. What would Her Majesty think?

Wrong, i do not riot or burn houses down so don't even brand me under that name. British unionist, btw northern irish comes first then british, but depending on where i am i saw either, so i will accept that. Now back on topic next person...

I just told you that i have no clue i don't have the test he just told us that it said north east scotland, northern ireland and r1a haplogroup, don't ask me anymore as its pointless i don't know.

It just seems from the website blurb that they can give a good idea of location based on the depth of the test. Lets say you moved to Paris for a year and you sent in your sample, I'd say you'd get a different location than Pariss.

It just seems from the website blurb that they can give a good idea of location based on the depth of the test. Lets say you moved to Paris for a year and you sent in your sample, I'd say you'd get a different location than Pariss.

So are you saying that my family are not from north east scotland ... you'd have to have the dna already in you it can't change, its passed down from father to son from father to son the whole way from the start of your family lol.

So are you saying that my family are not from north east scotland ... you'd have to have the dna already in you it can't change, its passed down from father to son from father to son the whole way from the start of your family lol.

No I'm saying the reason it was accurate is that a marker from your family is shown to have links to Northern Ireland and when your cousins showed up then they said he was from Northern Ireland.
    You're right the marker is passed from father to son, and it would pass regardless of location. Individuals move for many reasons independent of the markers they are carrying. Just saying within the movements of Haplotypes/markers there are thousands of individual stories that genetics can't tell.

No I'm saying the reason it was accurate is that a marker from your family is shown to have links to Northern Ireland and when your cousins showed up then they said he was from Northern Ireland.
    You're right the marker is passed from father to son, and it would pass regardless of location. Individuals move for many reasons independent of the markers they are carrying. Just saying within the movements of Haplotypes/markers there are thousands of individual stories that genetics can't tell.

No it wasn't my cousin it was my uncle who would have the exact same thingy as me on that test. I understand what you mean now, but there must be something as they just can't say "oh they come from scotland" if they aren't living there right now, there must be some sort of dna thing in scotland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

No it wasn't my cousin it was my uncle who would have the exact same thingy as me on that test. I understand what you mean now, but there must be something as they just can't say "oh they come from scotland" if they aren't living there right now, there must be some sort of dna thing in scotland.
    They can't actually say that you, or anyone else in your family, come from anywhere specific. What they can say is that the markers in your dna are most common in a specific population today, so that is most likely where you and your family originate, and even that can only go back so far in time. In this case they were spot on by the sounds of it, however the accuracy will differ from person to person.

• Advertisement

Johnmb wrote: »
    They can't actually say that you, or anyone else in your family, come from anywhere specific. What they can say is that the markers in your dna are most common in a specific population today, so that is most likely where you and your family originate, and even that can only go back so far in time. In this case they were spot on by the sounds of it, however the accuracy will differ from person to person.

oh i see i understand this well now.

Advertisement