Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

compo for 1916 damage

• 05-09-2010 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭

I was just reading a bit about the damage to Dublin city centre in the 1916 rising. And I was wondering........who paid for the re-building? Did the British offer compensation to the owners of Cleary and other buildings? Insurance would surely be invalid in 'Acts of War'? Or did the property owners just have to shell out themselves*? Anyone know?

*would the Irish Times then have details?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,234 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I don't know. I presume the government paid compensation. How prompt that was I don't know and which government that was in the the end is another matter. While the Bank of Ireland dates form about 1919, I think the GPO took years to finish.

Not everything was rebuilt though, some buildings were omitted for the creation of what became Cathal Brugha Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

I found a fragmented map of damage to the city centre from the time that seems to have been created by an Insurance company. I created a google map version from photo's and re-tracing which may be of interest - see : http://roots.swilson.info/Dublin1916/1916map.html

Shane

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭johnny_doyle

the 1916 Rebellion Handbook lists quite a few of the buildings damaged with the names of the main business or occupier.

Mention is made of the formation of the Dublin Fire and Losses Association being formed at Mansion House on 9th May 1916 by the leading sufferers of property
    loss. They met with the Govt and there appears to have been a letter sent back to them on the 17th May whereby the Govt agreed to meet the claims of the sufferers. Some and fro debates re the mechanism being used. Mr Walter Hume of 16 College Green and Mr William Montgomery of 1 Foster Place acted as assessors.

There's reference to the Dublin Reconstruction (Emergency Provisions) Act being passed on 22nd December 1916. (This is also the date that prisoners in Fron Goch etc were being released back to Ireland)

http://hansard.millbanksystems.com/commons/1916/dec/04/dublin-reconstruction-scheme

http://yourdemocracy.newstatesman.com/parliament/dublin-reconstruction-emergency-provisions-bill/HAN2258233

http://hansard.millbanksystems.com/commons/1918/jan/28/dublin-reconstruction-emergency#S5CV0101P0_19180128_HOC_228

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

I was just reading a bit about the damage to Dublin city centre in the 1916 rising. And I was wondering........who paid for the re-building? Did the British offer compensation to the owners of Cleary and other buildings? Insurance would surely be invalid in 'Acts of War'? Or did the property owners just have to shell out themselves*? Anyone know?

*would the Irish Times then have details?

In Reality, the damage done by irish "nationalists" to the fabric of our own country both in Dublin and in the country generally has been much greater than in 1916. The raping of Georgian Dublin is one instance. Come to Ring, Co. Waterford and see how it has been destroyed by terrible ribbon planning. Something Liam Clancy protested against in his later life. We have had an arrest or two lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭johnny_doyle

In Reality, the damage done by irish "nationalists" to the fabric of our own country both in Dublin and in the country generally has been much greater than in 1916.

most damage was done by the British Army and Navy rather than by members of the Irish Volunteers/ICA etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

In Reality, the damage done by irish "nationalists" to the fabric of our own country both in Dublin and in the country generally has been much greater than in 1916. The raping of Georgian Dublin is one instance. Come to Ring, Co. Waterford and see how it has been destroyed by terrible ribbon planning. Something Liam Clancy protested against in his later life. We have had an arrest or two lately.

Yeah well I was in secondary school in the 70 and remember the plan to pave over the Grand Canal to give us a wider road!
    most damage was done by the British Army and Navy rather than by members of the Irish Volunteers/ICA etc.

Yes, that makes sense. Thanks!

although I don't remember the Irish Countrywomen's Association being involved! :D

Advertisement