Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Snowing in Rathdrum Co. Wicklow tonight?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

I guess I have a much more twisted mind... I thought when you said confectionery... that it was hinting at illicit drugs you were ... as in SNOW (cocaine).... or maybe I just have snow on the brain... the weather kind, not the other...or thinking now, is it called ice... either way >>>>:confused: lol

One of the girls in work today casually mentioned that her sister in Wexford text to say it was snowing! She just thought the sister was a bit :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Brain training with sparrowcar... :D:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,877 ✭✭✭pauldry

snowed in sligo last night according to ray darcy.

i live there and i didnt see any.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

pauldry wrote: »
    snowed in sligo last night according to ray darcy.

Course it did, the same way it snowed in Finner and Rathdrum! :rolleyes:

I think if there was anything then it was probably melting hailstones. If they hit a windscreen then people might mistake that icy splat for snowflakes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Regarding the snow reported at Finner around midnight of the 5th October. This link summarises the hourly synop reports, with the Present Weather given in the WW column. The individual W1 and W2 colums refer to the past weather types of the current synoptic period.

Rain and drizzle were reported up to 22 UTC. At 23 UTC, "SnowShower" was reported, with temperature was 6.7 °C, and dewpoint 5.4 °C. Between 22 and 23 UTC, there was a huge increase in windspeed, from 32 to 54 km/h, and a major fall in visibility, from 20 km at 21 UTC to 1.1 km at 23 UTC.

Temperature rose to 9.2 °C by 00 UTC, with Recent Snow" reported (which would refer to that of the 23 UTC report). Visibility rose again to 12 km. Thereafter rain was reported.

As Met Éireann say on their website, optical weather detectors can report snow in low visibility conditions. This is clearly what happened in this occasion, and shows that we must look at the big picture when we see a report like that.

Similarly with Sligo last night. Dewpoint at Sligo Airport was 8-9 °C right through the night. These show the dewpoints at 00 UTC and 06 UTC, showing 7 °C as the lowest dewpoint throughout the country at Ireland's highest station, Connaught Airport (200 m).

I'd disregard any report of snow that either appears in the media or that's tweeted by a brother of a friend's sister's mother-in-law's uncle. People seem to be still talking about the idea of snow in October, and it looks like some may be sending in the odd spurios report to get a mention.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Wasn't snowing in Rathdrum, may I suggest head and shoulders. ?

Advertisement