Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How much to get an electric shower fitted?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭mad m

CJ Haughey wrote: »
    Im talking about a straight swap too, half hour job.

Jesus....at least Dick Turpin wore a mask when he ripped off people!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,878 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

no. I charge 100 Euro Inc vat for a changeover. the norm in Dublin is 330 supplied and fitted

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭CJ Haughey

mad m wrote: »
    Jesus....at least Dick Turpin wore a mask when he ripped off people!

You are making the presumption im fitting plain jane showers, i never said what brand or make they are. The ones i fit are Mira escape 9.8kw. I pass on an excellent price to my customers.
    As for the €100 that includes call out fee, and milage of 100km.

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    no. I charge 100 Euro Inc vat for a changeover. the norm in Dublin is 330 supplied and fitted

You said alot different in post 2.

in post 2 I am explaining to op how they'll pay more if they supply the shower. I clearly quoting figures for a full installation. these figures are correct.
    you asked how much I charge for a straight swap. answer is 300

Answer me this Cj, out of all of your comments on this thread can you point to one that has anything to do with the thread, or helps the op in any way at all? I come on here and genuinely try to help people with shower problems. I have helped plenty on here identify problems with their showers and advised them how to repair it themselves.

• Advertisement

Answer me this Cj, out of all of your comments on this thread can you point to one that has anything to do with the thread, or helps the op in any way at all?

I have told the op properly how vat and how its applied. You said its not possible to charge 23% vat on a shower job which is untrue.

I'm guessing it's cowboys like you charging nearly 500 Euro for a shower with a list price of 250 Euro that had the op go out and buy the shower themself.

In the real world an electric shower being installed will always be 13.5 vat and never 23 vat

I'm guessing it's cowboys like you charging nearly 500 Euro for a shower with a list price of 250 Euro that had the op go out and buy the shower themself.

In the real world an electric shower being installed will always be 13.5 vat and never 23 vat

If you read my earlier posts its the mira escape 9.8kw im referring to, dont be presuming stuff.
    In the real world where you do a simple shower change the job is charged at 23%. You are working for €15 per job which you should apply 23%.
    Your accountant will know this basic stuff.
    Calling people trolls and cowboys just because they have more knowledge than you and knowing the facts is mere childish.

You honestly expect anyone to believe that the main shower you fit the dearest electric shower you can find on google? Go to bed you fool.

You honestly expect anyone to believe that the main shower you fit the dearest electric shower you can find on google? Go to bed you fool.

Where did i post it was the main one, again another presumption. A fool now thats classy :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 ngoc

295 north side of Dublin and 300 Southside. 295 all the way to Balbriggan. 300 as far as bray. 330 for navan. all inc vat 13.5%

Hi Sleeper12.
    We are looking for installing totally new electric/power shower (we never have it before; still use immersion system). I have read the threads here on boards.ie so i just would like to ask if you still run your business in this area (electric shower installation/setting up/replacement). If so can we have your business contact details so we can call in to discuss about the service we would like to have and for the quotation? I tried to P you but the boards didn't allow me to do that as I do not have enough post here in the foru (25).
    Many thanks in advance
    Regards
    Ngoc

ngoc wrote:
    Hi Sleeper12. We are looking for installing totally new electric/power shower (we never have it before; still use immersion system). I have read the threads here on boards.ie so i just would like to ask if you still run your business in this area (electric shower installation/setting up/replacement). If so can we have your business contact details so we can call in to discuss about the service we would like to have and for the quotation? I tried to P you but the boards didn't allow me to do that as I do not have enough post here in the foru (25). Many thanks in advance Regards Ngoc

PM sent

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭eoin ryan

Hi Sleeper. Looking for a quote for an electric shower installation.
    Can you pm me please

• Registered Users Posts: 15 colinmis

PM sent

Hi Sleeper12, I'm also looking for a new installation of an electric shower. Can you provide a quote?

colinmis wrote: »
    Hi Sleeper12, I'm also looking for a new installation of an electric shower. Can you provide a quote?

PM sent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Some crazy stuff going on here....anyway sleeper helped me out with great advice so I would think he is talking some sense

If I wanted to go the other way. I have a power shower off immersion and also a T90si, the silent one, if I wanted to replace the T90 with a shower off immersion is it an easy job?

House is bungalow, immersion is not a huge distance away, similar distance to the other power shower

At the moment the T90 has a single feed off the water tank, it’s a block wall with tiles, I guess this could be issue as I would need cold and hot water feed?

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Some crazy stuff going on here....anyway sleeper helped me out with great advice so I would think he is talking some sense

If I wanted to go the other way. I have a power shower off immersion and also a T90si, the silent one, if I wanted to replace the T90 with a shower off immersion is it an easy job?

House is bungalow, immersion is not a huge distance away, similar distance to the other power shower

At the moment the T90 has a single feed off the water tank, it’s a block wall with tiles, I guess this could be issue as I would need cold and hot water feed?

The hardest part is getting hot feed to the power shower. At a push you could run it surface down the wall & into the shower. Wouldn't be the prettiest thing but some people opt for this till they are ready to tile the bathroom. If you don't want to run it surface then you will need to chase out the wall. This will require tiling afterwards.

Triton have a new Silent power shower launched last week called the Triton Novel SR. It has the exact same motor as the Triton T90SR & this motor is bulletproof. I I were to put a pump in a box type power shower in my own home this is the one I'd go for. Better quality than the Aqualisa Aquastream that retails at double the price & isn't as quiet.

I should point out that the thread started almost 5 years ago. You wont get a full installation for 500/600 now. Regs changed & cable is more expensive. The cost of the showers went up too. The T90so is around 30/ 40 more expensive than 5 years ago. I remember them on offer in B&Q for 180 each. Those days are over now unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 33,615 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Are these in the same unit ? or different units.

I guess im wondering what you want to do.

Reason i ask is i have a Pumped shower from immersion in my shower but also a Triton electric. The pumped for when theres hot water in the tank the other for when there isnt. best of both worlds imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,147 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Curious as to the (seemingly) high costs mentioned in this thread. I can see Triton showers on screwfix for under €100.

https://www.ie.screwfix.com/triton-enrich-electric-shower-white-10-5kw.html

Maybe I'm falling for marketing or missing something but IIRC Triton was always regarded as a decent brand?

Would be looking to get something like this in to replace an existing Mira Elite 2 in a year or so. Would I really be looking at the guts of €400 to get the new unit installed?! A "like for like" replacement of an electric shower looks fairly straight-forward to me and TBH, if it weren't for the legal requirement to have it carried out by a professional I'd have little fear about tackling the job myself.

Not having a dig Sleeper12, I understand that a business has overheads, insurance etc. to cover but it seems expensive for a relatively straight-forward job? Are you noticing a rise in people choosing to ignore the legislation and opt for the DIY route?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Christ I'm in the wrong game. My shower gave up the ghost 6 months ago , a Mira sport. Bought a Triton Enrich off Screwfix direct for 80 euro, some plumbing parts to change around the water inlet for 12 euro. 10 mins on YouTube. Did the job myself sum total 92 euro, 6 months later shower still working no electric shocks either. ;-)

Is it not invalidating your home insurance to not get an electric shower installed by an REC?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,048 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Just as an aside, be aware (my experience with a dodgy builder some years ago) that if you are supplying water to a shower from the main you need a shower for that purpose, most showers operate from the house tank, but some houses still have main supply randomly to various points and if you do, you need the right kind of shower.

I told the plumber (well no, he was the builder, he said a plumber would be doing it but then did it himself) the supply to the bathroom was from the main. I told him I wanted a supply brought from the tank. But he ignored the large sign on the shower box that said 'do not connect to mains water' and installed it anyway. Fountains of water resulted - over a weekend of course.

Yes, I know main supply should only go to the kitchen tap, but there are still houses out there that were plumbed to have mains water going to bathroom taps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

The hardest part is getting hot feed to the power shower. At a push you could run it surface down the wall & into the shower. Wouldn't be the prettiest thing but some people opt for this till they are ready to tile the bathroom. If you don't want to run it surface then you will need to chase out the wall. This will require tiling afterwards.

Triton have a new Silent power shower launched last week called the Triton Novel SR. It has the exact same motor as the Triton T90SR & this motor is bulletproof. I I were to put a pump in a box type power shower in my own home this is the one I'd go for. Better quality than the Aqualisa Aquastream that retails at double the price & isn't as quiet.

I have a T90sr, a T90xr(or something) and then a AS200XT installed in the house.

The AS200XT is brill and my preference would be to swap out the two T90's for it.

Problem is as you mentioned the wall is chased but only for a single pipe which is running from the Tank. Taking the tiles off is not an option as they are horrendously expensive and I don't think I would be able to get the same ones again so it would be retiling two large bathrooms. €€€€€€€€€

I guess in this situation I have no option to replace the T90's?

The reason I want the T90's out if because of the amount of electricty they use, we have immersion on 24 x 7 anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Sleepy wrote: »
    Is it not invalidating your home insurance to not get an electric shower installed by an REC?
    No idea might have a look at my policy later.Still have no intention of giving some lad 400 plus to change a shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭stratowide

No idea might have a look at my policy later.Still have no intention of giving some lad 400 plus to change a shower.

Dead right there chief.

€400 to change a shower..Not a chance.

TBH, it's not the job itself I'd be placing a value on: it's the legality. I'm comfortable doing most DIY but I'm not comfortable with the risk of a dodgy unit burning the house down and my insurance company being able to wash their hands of it because I installed the unit myself.

Sleepy wrote: »
    Curious as to the (seemingly) high costs mentioned in this thread. I can see Triton showers on screwfix for under €100.

https://www.ie.screwfix.com/triton-enrich-electric-shower-white-10-5kw.html

Maybe I'm falling for marketing or missing something but IIRC Triton was always regarded as a decent brand?

Would be looking to get something like this in to replace an existing Mira Elite 2 in a year or so. Would I really be looking at the guts of €400 to get the new unit installed?! A "like for like" replacement of an electric shower looks fairly straight-forward to me and TBH, if it weren't for the legal requirement to have it carried out by a professional I'd have little fear about tackling the job myself.

Not having a dig Sleeper12, I understand that a business has overheads, insurance etc. to cover but it seems expensive for a relatively straight-forward job? Are you noticing a rise in people choosing to ignore the legislation and opt for the DIY route?

What you see on Screwfix for 80 pounds is a UK mains fed shower. Because it is a UK model there is no Irish warranty. That aside it isn't a direct replacement for your Mira Elite 2. Your Mira Elite 2 is a pumped electric shower & is tank fed. The shower linked is a mains fed shower with no pump. The mains fed shower chances temperature all on it's own when someone runs kitchen tap. In many parts of Dublin the water pressure isn't good enough to activate the pressure switch on a mains fed shower for more than half of the day. Irish waters reply is that mains fed showers are against the building regs & it shouldn't be installed, so not their problem.

You can get a Dublin shower company to supply & fit a Mira Elite QT or Triton T90SR for between 325 & 350. This is more or less like for like with your old Mira & you can expect the same type of performance. The mains fed shower won't give you the same performance

I have a T90sr, a T90xr(or something) and then a AS200XT installed in the house.

The AS200XT is brill and my preference would be to swap out the two T90's for it.

Problem is as you mentioned the wall is chased but only for a single pipe which is running from the Tank. Taking the tiles off is not an option as they are horrendously expensive and I don't think I would be able to get the same ones again so it would be retiling two large bathrooms. €€€€€€€€€

I guess in this situation I have no option to replace the T90's?

The reason I want the T90's out if because of the amount of electricty they use, we have immersion on 24 x 7 anyway

The power shower is a far better showering experience but don't kid yourself on the running costs. Electric shower is A rates & is the cheapest form of showering with the exception os solar & possibly a combi boiler if the boiler is installed very close to the shower itself. Heating the hot water cylinder either by gas or electric is more expensive that an electric shower. I'm not suggesting electric is a nicer shower to have. I use a power shower myself but the electric is cheaper to run

• Advertisement

stratowide wrote: »
    Dead right there chief.

€400 to change a shower..Not a chance.

You aren't paying someone 400 to change a shower? You are getting one supplied for 325/350. The shower unit itself costs 225/250. Your qualified & insured tradesman is getting around 88.11 plus 11.89 VAT= 100 euro for this job. I traveled from D5 to Bray, to Lucan & on to Balbriggan so far today. Most of my time is driving.I honestly don't think it's a lot to pay someone who has trained in the field.

I won't post links but if you google triton t90 450 supplied & fitted you'll find companies charging 450 plus VAT to supply & fit a replacement shower. That's 510 euro!!!

Advertisement