Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Recommend me a Game...

Options
  • 14-02-2019 6:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭

Ok, so over the last few months I've played and completed Read Dead Redemption, Super Mario Odyssey, Lone Echo, and Resident Evil REmake. I've a hankering for something retro before I jump into another modern game. I'm not looking for something huge/expansive like an RPG or anything, something quick, fast, high levels of gameplay, etc etc. Any recommendations?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,805 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Ace Combat 7 is *chef kiss* good.

Resi 2 remake is remarkable as well but depends on how you want to play the games. It differentiates itself from the original a lot.

Both seem short enough and action packed.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Was it Super Metroid or Metroid Prime you said you hadn't played?

Either way, play both :D

Just at the end of Metroid Prime now and kicking myself for not playing it years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭Inviere

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Ace Combat 7 is *chef kiss* good.

Resi 2 remake is remarkable as well but depends on how you want to play the games. It differentiates itself from the original a lot.

Both seem short enough and action packed.
    Inviere wrote: »
    I've a hankering for something retro
    o1s1n wrote: »
    Was it Super Metroid or Metroid Prime you said you hadn't played?

Just at the end of Metroid Prime now and kicking myself for not playing it years ago.

I've cleared Super Metroid yeah, amazing game. Metroid Prime though, never played it...hmm...is it massively long?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,805 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's long for an action game, 12-15 hours. You'll probably end up inhaling it though as it's that good.

It's long for an action game, 12-15 hours. You'll probably end up inhaling it though as it's that good.

Cheers lads, I'll shortlist it. Any recomendations from the 16bit era, preferabbly not on the SNES (it's my go-to console, and I just keep playing the same games on it, looking to expand out a bit this time)

• Advertisement

Rocket Knight Adventures

Or Contra Hard Corp (it's.... Hardcore so be prepared)

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭paul79

I must go back and play Metroid prime myself, I started it years ago and never got around to finishing it , recently got the GameCube out for some retro gaming .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭Doge

Might be worth trying out Metroid Prime in VR via the dolphin emulator also!

Master of the Universe

Cheers lads, I'll shortlist it. Any recomendations from the 16bit era, preferabbly not on the SNES (it's my go-to console, and I just keep playing the same games on it, looking to expand out a bit this time)

It's really is excellent. I got lost a few times on my first few playthroughs and ended up giving up. It's worth sticking out.

It's the best use of the Wiimote & Nunchuck IMO, you actually feel completely in control of Samus. So much so that the platforming sections don't feel clunky as they usually do in FPS games.

16 bit wise, how about The Story of Thor on the Megadrive? It's akin to a Sega version of Zelda. Lovely looking too.

16 bit wise, how about The Story of Thor on the Megadrive? It's akin to a Sega version of Zelda. Lovely looking too.

Found it a bit meh to be honest. It's... ok and looks gorgeous but it's a very shallow game and the Yuzo Koshiro OST is very disappointing.

If you want a more sega take on Zelda than go for Soleil/Crusader of Centy. It's a much better game.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Oh really? I quite enjoyed it, although saying that I played it about 10 years ago now so don't remember too much beyond the fantastic visuals!

Inviere, on the subject of Megadrive games, how about getting stuck into Phantasy Star IV? A Megadrive RPG to rival Snes ones of that era.

I'd highly recommend Phantasy Star IV as well. It's up there with the best 16bit RPGs. It loses a bit if you've not played the previous 3 games... although they are very, very, very hard to get into. But it's still highly enjoyable taken on its own. It's a surprisingly modern and forward thinking RPG, especially considering how archaic the previous games were.

Oh really? I quite enjoyed it, although saying that I played it about 10 years ago now so don't remember too much beyond the fantastic visuals!

I don't know, it's just a game I always wanted to play for years. Yuzo koshiro music, supposed to be like Zelda, looks gorgeous and made by the team behind Streets of Rage. Thought it would be a lot better but it wasn't the classic I'd made it out to be. It's still good but there's so much better like Soleil or Alundra.

I think I'll go with Rocket Knight Adventures, it's something I've never played, and is hailed as a pretty great 16bit platformer. Makes a nice break from more involved games. However, I'm liking some of the recommendations so far too.

Re Metroid Prime - any recommended platform, GC or Wii? Or indeed in VR as Doge says?

The Story of Thor is interesting, as is Phantasy Star IV, I'll add them to a list of must-plays.

Contra Hard Core, I'm not really up for much punishment these days, is it brutal yeah? :o (BIG fan of Contra 3)

Rocket Knight is my second favourite megadrive game. Made by the Contra Hard Corp team so it's not a walk in the park. You get an extra final boss in hard mode.

Contra Hard Corp is considered by many to be the best Contra and I'd have agree. It's tough but doable. It's just really long and has loads of levels with 4 paths and a secret ending as well. Western release was made tougher as in the Japanese version you can take 3 hits before you die whereas it's one in the western version.

I'd go with Wii for prime. Not played it in vr

Rocket Knight is my second favourite megadrive game. Made by the Contra Hard Corp team so it's not a walk in the park. You get an extra final boss in hard mode.

Really enjoying it thus far. Has a sort of Contra/Gunstar Heroes feel to it. Got absolutely crushed playing it yesterday for the first time, but made it to the second stage boss today (mine cart boss with three forms). Seems a great game, will continue on with it :)

Up next will be Metroid Prime I think...

Contra Hard Corp is considered by many to be the best Contra and I'd have agree. It's tough but doable. It's just really long and has loads of levels with 4 paths and a secret ending as well. Western release was made tougher as in the Japanese version you can take 3 hits before you die whereas it's one in the western version.

I'd go with Wii for prime. Not played it in vr

The oculus touch controllers are supported via the emulator. I think it takes tweaking graphic settings though as textures don't seem to load properly or something.

Doge wrote: »
    The oculus touch controllers are supported via the emulator. I think it takes tweaking graphic settings though as textures don't seem to load properly or something.

Think I'll play it non-VR for my first play through. Don't want to spoil the game by having to tinker too much with stuff. I'll check it out in VR then afterwards, cheers man :)

Rocket Knight

Made it to stage 3 today, damn that second stage of stage 2 boss! Anyway, was thinking Stage 3 level 1 was just awful level design, until I realised I was ignoring a key mechanic of it :o oops! Loving the game though

Glad you are enjoying it and I got to spread the gospel of Rocket Knight.

Really fond of the soundtrack, it's a cracker by the same composer as Symphony of the Night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Rashinsane

You should try Castlevania Symphony of the Night. You'll get quite some hours if you want to complete entirely (normal/reverse castle/all the items etc).

Mod edit: Rom site link

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

An indie game would be best, try LISA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Dublinandy2

Golden axe is one that never gets old

Master of the Universe

Golden axe is one that never gets old

It's a firm favourite of our moderator here, Ciderman - can't get enough of it.

In fact he grew a big beard in a bid to emulate the look of Gilius Thunderhead.

Rumour has it he dons a green costume and attends the odd cosplay event - everyone has continually told him he's far too tall for the character but he won't listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

I don't like Story of Thor either it looks nice but the gameplays a little bland.

Best Zelda type game (to my taste better) is Landstalker. Maddeningly difficult if you can't hack isometric platformers but wonderfully written and just really unique.

Shining Force 1 is brilliant. Not terrifically long either.

I think I got half way through Phantasy Star IV but I didn't finish it. Want to play Phantasy Star II some day because I used look at the poster mad to try it as a kid but I never saw a copy in the wild and rental places didn't have it. It is however meant to be massively grindy.

I like landstalker but prefer Soleil as a megadrive Zelda clone.

Phantasy star 2 came out before ff4 changed jrpgs. It's very much a 8 bit rpg on a 16 bit system.

It's aged badly in many ways. You need to map out dungeons on graph paper. Also if you don't dungeon dive and just use online naps you end up under levelled and need to grind for gear.

It's a shame as battles look gorgeous and the story is ahead of it's time with an absolute cracker of an ending.

Kid chameleon on the mega drive is an excellent, quirky platformer.

Kid chameleon on the mega drive is an excellent, quirky platformer.

Never liked that game and don't see the love for it. Bad level design and weird controls.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

It's a firm favourite of our moderator here, Ciderman - can't get enough of it.

In fact he grew a big beard in a bid to emulate the look of Gilius Thunderhead.

Rumour has it he dons a green costume and attends the odd cosplay event - everyone has continually told him he's far too tall for the character but he won't listen.

Just read this ...

You're banned!

• Advertisement

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Just read this ...

You're banned!

Oisin never fails to craic me up! :D

Advertisement