Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Acrylic flow painting

• 31-01-2019 10:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭

Has anyone tried this style of acrylic painting?

Found by accident on YouTube. Have painted (mostly landscapes) in oils and more recently acrylics for a while but tried my hand at this last weekend and find it quite enjoyable. There are so many possible mixes of paint/medium/etc. was wondering what people were using and what worked best for them.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,343 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I would say it's the same technique used to marble paper and various objects, but the types of colours used vary depending on the base.

Using various kinds of combs you can obtain many different patterns such as this one (peacock).

PeacocksLarge.jpg

I've tried a few times but I never quite managed to get the consistency of the inks/colours and the base right - they would either sink, or flow too much or too little, and once I had the smart idea to use the inks from a kit I was given, but they were oil based and took aaaaages to dry.

I think most people start with a base made from wallpaper paste and water. I've been meaning to give it another stab, it's great fun and the results can be stunning. :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,343 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

EDIT: I just realised this is pouring the colours directly on a tray without any base, so I guess the technique is a bit different from paper marbling.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Stratvs

Main ingredients I’ve seen so far would be acrylic paint, a pouring medium (floetrol or equivalent as used by commercial / spray painters) some water, craft glue can also be used and depending on whether a lot of cells are desired, some silicone. A base can be put down of paint and medium to help the flow, but some don’t do that. There seems to be a huge variety of recipes and with color interaction the results can be very different from that expected. That brings a certain element of surprise into it. One needs to learn which colors sink more and which flow to the surface so I guess more practice and keep notes on what works.

pre mix the colours approx 40% paint, 30% water, 30% Floetrol (you can get this in any decor shop)

What you can do then is add a a bit of silicone to get the cells effect when the paint reacts with it, also you can use WD40. Dont over-work the painting as everything will turn muddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,042 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I haven't actually tried it, but have compensated by watching any amount of youtube videos!

You can also get interesting effects by doing a version of that 'butterfly' activity that kindergarden children do. Fold a sheet of paper, put generous blobs of paint on one side, fold the other side over and 'swipe' your hand over it to squeeze out the paint then peel to open - whether you just pull apart or pull at a low angle changes the effects. When it is dry you can cut out really interesting feathery patterned patches.

Yes NewHome, use wallpaper paste as a base for marbling (try and get one without a fungicide). Leave it for a while - few hours - before using it so it goes clear and smooth.

• Advertisement

pre mix the colours approx 40% paint, 30% water, 30% Floetrol (you can get this in any decor shop)

What you can do then is add a a bit of silicone to get the cells effect when the paint reacts with it, also you can use WD40. Dont over-work the painting as everything will turn muddy.

I eventually got the Floetrol, wasn't as easy as I thought. Some YouTubers were suggesting 1:1 paint and floetrol with a splash of water but I found having to add a lot of water before it flowed properly and what you say above sounds better, I'll try that. Thanks.

I've tried a little silicone and that does work ok. I've stuck to small canvas so far, 12"x8" and one thing I've found is not to work it too much with it still spreading for some time so final result can be quite different. I had a lovely group of cells on one but by the next day it was very different.

It's very relaxing though I must say.

looksee wrote: »
    I haven't actually tried it, but have compensated by watching any amount of youtube videos!

The videos are quite addictive alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,029 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

This looks quite similar to acrylic or resin floor/furniture painting.

The results can look amazing but I reckon if you dont know what you are doing you end up with a big mess!

GreeBo wrote: »
    This looks quite similar to acrylic or resin floor/furniture painting.

The results can look amazing but I reckon if you dont know what you are doing you end up with a big mess!

Yeah I've seen a few like that using resin. Beautiful finish.

This This guy does some great stuff and resins the finished item to make table mats / coasters etc.

Advertisement