Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Knitting - help and advice super thread!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭em_cat

Graces7 wrote: »
    Knitting somehow is more flexible? Shaping wise?

For me the great drawback to crochet is that I cannot crochet and read at the same time, whereas I CAN and do knit at speed and read etc. I knit constantly ./ a nervous tic!

I was always watch in amazement at the speed people can knit, I find I pick up speed but can’t for the life of me flick. It’s odd because I knit & crochet primarily with my left hand but hold the tension in the left when I knit & in the right for crochet which I can do while reading or watching the tele. But can’t leave home without either!

Today I realised I was holding a hook in my right while knitting the body of Mr C’s jumper. I was subconsciously picking up drops as I was going along.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Knitting somehow is more flexible? Shaping wise?

For me the great drawback to crochet is that I cannot crochet and read at the same time, whereas I CAN and do knit at speed and read etc. I knit constantly ./ a nervous tic!

I'm the other way, can find and work any stitch in crochet without looking but would never attempt to do that knitting! In saying that, I'm a complete beginner knitter - know most stitches and basic techniques but have no experience!

Starting the front panel of this knitted jumper, very excited as it's non-uniform week for pre-school and I want one of the wee ones to wear it in if I can get it done on time!

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭now online

I watch tv and crochet! I definitely couldn't read. I keep saying one more row and I'll go to bed and end up crocheting till silly o clock. Them I go to bed and read I wonder why I'm wrecked!
    My son is always asking me to make something for him I somehow think crochet looks good on girls but it has to be knitting for a boy an I the only one that thinks this?
    I've a few projects lined up for the next few weeks and after that I might look for an easy knitting pattern for a boys jumper.
    Any suggestions?

now online wrote: »
    I watch tv and crochet! I definitely couldn't read. I keep saying one more row and I'll go to bed and end up crocheting till silly o clock. Them I go to bed and read I wonder why I'm wrecked!
    My son is always asking me to make something for him I somehow think crochet looks good on girls but it has to be knitting for a boy an I the only one that thinks this?
    I've a few projects lined up for the next few weeks and after that I might look for an easy knitting pattern for a boys jumper.
    Any suggestions?

I 100% get you. The lacy/holey effect of most crochet doesn't quite look as good on a boy as a girl. I'm currently knitting a free sweater called "CHILD’S KNIT CREW NECK PULLOVER" from Ravelry. It's definitely easy, I've never in my life knitted a sweater and I'm 3 inches into my second panel with no issues!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    I'm the other way, can find and work any stitch in crochet without looking but would never attempt to do that knitting! In saying that, I'm a complete beginner knitter - know most stitches and basic techniques but have no experience!

Starting the front panel of this knitted jumper, very excited as it's non-uniform week for pre-school and I want one of the wee ones to wear it in if I can get it done on time!

I used to knit Aran for the export industry in Scotland... when you are being paid by the garment, it speeds you up wondrously ;) A big sweater in 4 days was my norm... The pay was .... well peanuts would have been better. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I used to knit Aran for the export industry in Scotland... when you are being paid by the garment, it speeds you up wondrously ;) A big sweater in 4 days was my norm... The pay was .... well peanuts would have been better. :rolleyes:

I definitely get that. Have been selling on Etsy and got absolutely BOULDERED with orders two weeks ago and saw myself finishing full scarves that normally take me 3 days in about 9 hours :pac:

If I was making the same scarf for a personal gift here at home I'd probably still be at it in February :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,012 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I was at a social knitting group and one lady round the table had a large heap of crocheted squares that she was adding a cream coloured rim to ready for stitching up. I watched mesmerised as she picked up a square, joined the thread, crocheted all round, fastened off and put the square on the 'done' pile, all the while chatting and looking at people and paying absolutely no attention to what she was doing as one pile went down and the other went up at astonishing speed!

I have taught a lot of people to knit and crochet while only producing very limited quantities of finished garments myself (I don't think I have ever finished a knitted garment :D), I love the satisfaction of seeing someone who didn't have any idea they could do something creative and crafty learn to make things! I suppose its the original 'those that can, do, and those that can't, teach' situation!

looksee wrote: »
    I was at a social knitting group and one lady round the table had a large heap of crocheted squares that she was adding a cream coloured rim to ready for stitching up. I watched mesmerised as she picked up a square, joined the thread, crocheted all round, fastened off and put the square on the 'done' pile, all the while chatting and looking at people and paying absolutely no attention to what she was doing as one pile went down and the other went up at astonishing speed!

I have taught a lot of people to knit and crochet while only producing very limited quantities of finished garments myself (I don't think I have ever finished a knitted garment :D), I love the satisfaction of seeing someone who didn't have any idea they could do something creative and crafty learn to make things! I suppose its the original 'those that can, do, and those that can't, teach' situation!

I tried to teach my sister how to crochet a few months back. 3 hours in and it eventually occured to me that she was left-handed :pac:
    Definitely not much of a teacher, me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

Might put learning to knit and crochet on my to do list this year . I'm not bad at the sewing and the machine embroidery but these to crafts are another story

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 melsmum

I never could master crochet. Never seem to understand which way my row is going, and couldn't "get" where my next stitch is. I knit, but am quite slow, and I certainly couldn't read and knit! In a hospital clinic waiting room last year, I watched in awe as a woman chatted away to her companion, and, with no pattern, was churning out what looked like yards of very fine knitted lace! Right now, I'm trying to finish a jumper for a grandson. It has a cartoon character knitted into the front. Boy, that was slow, with about six different colours hanging down, being worked in! Now, I'm finally on the neckband, knitting in the round, but that's going slowly, because the only circular needle I had in the right size seems to be three miles long! Makes it very awkward, as you can't just keep knitting, you have to stop and pull the excess "needle" through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,012 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I think crochet is harder to learn, and patterns harder to follow than knitting, but once you have figured it out it is much easier to crochet 'freehand' than to knit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 melsmum

looksee wrote: »
    I think crochet is harder to learn, and patterns harder to follow than knitting, but once you have figured it out it is much easier to crochet 'freehand' than to knit.

You may be right. My daughter learned to crochet from Youtube while she was pregnant, and has made some lovely stuff. She can't master knitting though. I think part if my problem with crochet is that I'm ambidextrous, and have issues telling my right from my left with everything "Wedding ring is on my left hand!":rolleyes: It's easy to tell which direction you are going with knitting. But I just can't figure it out with crochet!

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭now online

I'm a leftie and I've learned to crochet right handed. If you've never done it before it's just as easy to learn right handed because most of the tutorials on you tube are right handed.
    I'm picking up my current project right now for the first time in a few days, I'm itching to finish it!

I definitely get that. Have been selling on Etsy and got absolutely BOULDERED with orders two weeks ago and saw myself finishing full scarves that normally take me 3 days in about 9 hours :pac:

If I was making the same scarf for a personal gift here at home I'd probably still be at it in February :pac::pac:

Is it easy to set up etsy please? I need an outlet as all I earn goes to the work my faith family do overseas rescuing abandoned babies. Cannot do markets any nore but am still crazy to knit..

Is it easy to set up etsy please? I need an outlet as all I earn goes to the work my faith family do overseas rescuing abandoned babies. Cannot do markets any nore but am still crazy to knit..

It's very straightforward. They essentially hold your hand through the whole thing but optimising your listings to ensure you are found can be a bit of a challenge to start with!

It's very straightforward. They essentially hold your hand through the whole thing but optimising your listings to ensure you are found can be a bit of a challenge to start with!

Someone told me you need a credit card so no go! Ditched mine. ah well! Thank you

Someone told me you need a credit card so no go! Ditched mine. ah well! Thank you

Well, I just have a regular Visa Debit - no credit cards here!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

you need an ordinary bankaccount. That is to trace earnings for income tax purposes .

Well, family in Canada have asked for legwarmers as they should sell well there; worked out a pattern of my own in cream with cables so well occupied again....will leave anything else a while now..want to get prototypes off as asap ...

you need an ordinary bankaccount. That is to trace earnings for income tax purposes .

give my love to dunmanway; lived nearby for years and used to trade there ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭ellee

Hi, my daughter has been learning to knit in school and I've been helping her (dusting off some very unused distant memories!) and it has piqued my interest in trying my hand at it again.

Is there a shop in Dublin I could pop into for a bit of advice? Online is all very well but I have not a clue where to start, what I need etc?! Would like to try something simple to work on the basic purl/knit skills. I was thinking a baby blanket as my sister in law is due in a couple of months.

Any shop, website, YouTube recommendations very welcome! Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭em_cat

ellee wrote: »
    Hi, my daughter has been learning to knit in school and I've been helping her (dusting off some very unused distant memories!) and it has piqued my interest in trying my hand at it again.

Is there a shop in Dublin I could pop into for a bit of advice? Online is all very well but I have not a clue where to start, what I need etc?! Would like to try something simple to work on the basic purl/knit skills. I was thinking a baby blanket as my sister in law is due in a couple of months.

I find This is Knit in the Powers Court Centre great but also Rosemary at the Constant Knitter on Francis Street is fantastic. I’m sure there are other fantastic shops around Dublin, but these are both near to me.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I find Springwools in Ballymount are very good. They're a bit off the beaten track, but they've always been very helpful any time I've been in.

Thank you guys, this is knit is handy enough, I might try that or springwools at weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Trimmings on capel street too.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,069 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I went back to knitting after 30 years and even back then I had only very basic skills ! I found the Knitting for Dummies book very helpful for the simple questions and advice .I am now flying it and a list of requests in my note book for all the babas in the family .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Rancid

Sean's Wool Cabin in Omni Shopping Centre, Santry.
    Think they do evening classes or knitting get-togethers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭Vetch

I started back knitting last year, not having knitted since national school, which is long time ago! Ravelry is good for patterns as you can filter for beginner level ones. The baba in my family got a few things made for him - the great thing about knitting for babies is there's not so much to rip when you make a mistake although a cardigan did nearly bring me to tears!

Thank you everyone! Have joined Ravelry now and managed to pop into This is Knit yesterday. Really looking forward to having a go now over the weekend!

• Advertisement

Any tips for searching ravelry for patterns? I can’t seem to find much I really like... plus the same stuff shows up all the time even though there are 000s apparently?!

Advertisement