Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cyclists

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,307 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

please tell me you're joking.

Did everyone think that FU was joking about near misses only avoided by his alertness and speedy braking?
    First Up wrote: »
    I'm not sure that they aren't but if you are suggesting that unlit cyclists wearing dark clothes on wet winter nights are not a hazard to themselves or others, I'd be interested to know why.

I can only speak about my own close calls and the reason was alertness on my part and in one instance, speedy use of the brakes.
    On a 4k round trip in wet conditions last night (Mount Merrion-Dundrum). I had close calls with three black clad unlit cyclists and saw (luckily for them) at least five more.

Its a bloody plague and I see neither publicity or enforcement.

railer201 wrote: »
    No harm at all but why recommend stripes for something which is already conspicuous due to it's size and is adequately equipped with lights ?
    Because those lights are generally off when it is parked, or not working properly.
    railer201 wrote: »
    Well it appears that there is and there isn't. ;)
    I think we're getting to the nub of the issue here.

So from what I'm hearing, the cars with the 700 lumen headlights has difficulty in seeing things, but we expect all cyclists to see everything all the time.

Is that the proposed view?

You don't think high viz is any help?

Any help for what?

Distracting attention from the need for drivers to drive safely?
    Blaming victims for getting hit by cars?
    Letting murderers move around unnoticed?

They're all good applications for hi-vis.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,163 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Hurrache wrote: »
    A large part of the problem is that cyclists are being likened to the Borg, hence threads like this. It was individuals on bikes breaking the law.

Sexy people in tight fitting clothing is what you meant, right? :pac:

7GzW.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Did everyone think that FU was joking about near misses only avoided by his alertness and speedy braking?

Bit off-topic, but it reminded me of The Odd Couple:

Oscar: Told you 158 times I can't stand little notes on my pillow. "We're all out of cornflakes. F.U." Took me three hours to figure out F.U. was Felix Ungar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

You don't think high viz is any help?

Any help for what?

Help to be seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Any help for what?

Hi viz is great if your a protester! :)

https://goo.gl/images/GMLaag

• Registered Users Posts: 6,482 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Help to be seen.

Gives an opportunity out to blame the victim.

Sure why do people need eyes these days? They can't be considered responsible enough to use them.

Help to be seen.

Gives an opportunity out to blame the victim.

Sure why do people need eyes these days? They can't be considered responsible enough to use them.
    Only if there is a victim, which is less likely if they can be seen.

What about all the poor walls, ditches and poles that are hit by drivers in cars. Should they be covered in hi-viz?

• Advertisement

Help to be seen.

Help what to be seen? Cars? Bikes? Pedestrians? Cattle?

What about all the poor walls, ditches and poles that are hit by drivers in cars. Should they be covered in hi-viz?
    If you think it would help you could start a campaign.

If you think it would help you could start a campaign.

I thought you were starting a campaign to paint everything but cars in hi-viz. I'm disappointed now.

So would you recommend it for all cars then?

Well its recognised that light coloured cars (yellow is best apparently) are easier to see but lights are important too. That's probably enough.

But back on topic, what is it that makes some cyclists so defensive and insecure when people advise them how to increase their safety?

Well its recognised that light coloured cars (yellow is best apparently) are easier to see but lights are important too. That's probably enough.

But back on topic, what is it that makes some cyclists so defensive and insecure when people advise them how to increase their safety?

I am safe. Surely it's the drivers that hit cyclists that aren't safe.

But cars don't have lights on when they're parked, so hi-vis stripes would probably help, right?
    For me, the credibility of those advising on safety is undermined by their lack of focus on the real safety issues on the road - the motorists who kill and maim 3 or 4 people each week. Why don't you drop by the Motoring forum and tell them they should slow down and put their phones down?

But cars don't have lights on when they're parked, so hi-vis stripes would probably help, right?
    For me, the credibility of those advising on safety is undermined by their lack of focus on the real safety issues on the road - the motorists who kill and maim 3 or 4 people each week. Why don't you drop by the Motoring forum and tell them they should slow down and put their phones down?
    Why not both?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,948 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

.... what is it that makes some cyclists so defensive and insecure when people advise them how to increase their safety?
    I think it's a bit like the child v paedophile scenario.

Should we devote all our energies teaching children how to be safe or just go after the cause of the problem.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,228 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

ef8.jpg

• Advertisement

Why not both?

Please do share the link to your thread in the motoring forum.

Why not both?

Please do share the link to your thread in the motoring forum.

I have posted there frequently but this is about cyclists.

You are welcome to whinge all you want about motorists but the thing I'm talking about here is entirely under cyclists' control.

You are welcome to whinge all you want about motorists but the thing I'm talking about here is entirely under cyclists' control.

What's this "thing" your referring to?

Have you posted there telling motorists that they need to slow down? A link or two would be appreciated.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

*rubbish*
    CMod note:

AndrewJRenko, please reconsider what you are posting as in my opinion you are getting close to trolling.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and a reasonable chance to express it here, however , that comes with the provision that you also reciprocate and allow others to discuss it without resorting to soapboxing.

:)

07Lapierre wrote: »

What's this "thing" your referring to?

Unlit cyclists.

Have you posted there telling motorists that they need to slow down? A link or two would be appreciated.

No, but if you want to tell me what is a safe speed for motorists to be able to spot unlit cyclists in dark and wet conditions I'll consider it.

No, but if you want to tell me what is a safe speed for motorists to be able to spot unlit cyclists in dark and wet conditions I'll consider it.
    The speeding issue goes way beyond unlit cyclists. Speeding is one of the top three causes of road deaths. Most road deaths are motorists killing themselves, other motorists or passengers. So getting motorists to slow down would have a significant impact on road deaths.

To answer your specific question, getting motorists to stick to the speed limit would be a great start.

Unlit cyclists.

Still??? How many times do you have to be told that cycling without lights is not a good idea? we all agree on that. move on!

• Advertisement

The speeding issue goes way beyond unlit cyclists. Speeding is one of the top three causes of road deaths. Most road deaths are motorists killing themselves, other motorists or passengers. So getting motorists to slow down would have a significant impact on road deaths.

To answer your specific question, getting motorists to stick to the speed limit would be a great start.

And a cyclist hit by a car doing 49kph in a 50kph zone will be just as dead.

Look, I understand that martyrdom is an important part of some cyclists' psyche but with all those dangerous speeding motorists out there, don't you think they owe it to their families to do everything they can to get home safe?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement