Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trainerroad

• 30-10-2016 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,596 ✭✭✭✭

Any users of the above?

A week in and finding the structure of a turbo workout a bug plus for me. Hoping it helps me get stronger plus shifts a few kilos over the winter months.

Sweet spot base, mid volume is where I started out.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

Yeah I use it. Very handy to add the structure without needing to buy a powermeter.
    I find it improves my fitness a great deal, def worth the effort of doing it, especially when its cold and wet outside.

Get yourself a good boxset series to watch and the time fly's by.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,596 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Sinbad_NI wrote: »
    Yeah I use it. Very handy to add the structure without needing to buy a powermeter.
    I find it improves my fitness a great deal, def worth the effort of doing it, especially when its cold and wet outside.

Get yourself a good boxset series to watch and the time fly's by.

Couldn't watch a series while dying on that tbh, solid tunes via the mix cloud app helps. I also find the on screen prompts helpful and distract you from the pain at hand.

dahat wrote:
    Couldn't watch a series while dying on that tbh, solid tunes via the mix cloud app helps. I also find the on screen prompts helpful and distract you from the pain at hand.

Podcasts are good too.

Yeah the on screen drills can help alleviate the boredom but do tend to get a bit played out after a while I find.

Sinbad_NI wrote: »
    Podcasts are good too.

Yeah the on screen drills can help alleviate the boredom but do tend to get a bit played out after a while I find.

Things like cadence & single leg drills are things I need to work on so I'm quite keen to engage just now.

Have you found the improvement worthy of the fee? My first winter with a somewhat structured training program even if it is a bit more intense than most would be doing this time of year.

Oh absolutely, I saw and felt a huge improvement.
    Build phase is much harder work... take your time... the pain is still ahead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭dermabrasion

This works for me when I have the discipline to stick to it. Ive a few sufferfest videos that I pair up, but I dont really get any inspiration from them. Banging tunes are best.
    I've considered going over to Zwift, but I don't need another subscription (Strava, Training peaks & Traineroad) to be a better cyclist. Just some consistency and stay away from the cake tin.

You are right consistency is key with this program and any program really. You either over it or hate it I reckon so if the interest falls away a program like this isn't really for you..

I have a Keeler Needle workout to face this morning and after a group spin yesterday I'm pretty nervous even scared as it looks quite intense.

For someone without a power meter it does give a different angle to workouts which I have to intrepid into cadence and heart rate levels to get the most from this on the road in the Spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭bren_mc

Just wondering if anyone has been having the same issue as me lately when doing the FTP test (20 minute version ). Whereas it used to previously calculate target wattage for the 20 minute effort by adding 5% to my current FTP, it now seems to do so by adding 5 watts.The result is that even if I was to slightly exceed the target for the duration of the test, my new suggested FTP would be lower than the current. As a result, I've had to increase my FTP before doing the test so as to produce a more realistic target. I emailed technical support but got this response...

Hey Brendan,

I checked out your last test and it looks like things were calculated correctly. The target power line is meant to represent the wattage you would need to output in order to maintain the same FTP score. I think it is just a coincidence that you are seeing a 5 watt difference.

For the 20-minute test, the target would be 5% higher than your FTP and on the 8-minute test your target will be 10% higher than your current FTP.

Regardless, the target power is sort of irrelevant. The goal of the FTP tests is for you to push your absolute maximum for the interval. The target line is a reference so you know whether you are going to exceed your current FTP score or not. Really, users should aim to push above the target as much as possible.

I hope this helps! :)
    Hunter Ault
    Customer Support

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Due to do a test this week, but always assumed the target for the test was based on current FTP to be honest. Bar trying to maintain at least that, I've always just tried to bury myself for the 20 minutes rather than to use the target.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭bren_mc

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Due to do a test this week, but always assumed the target for the test was based on current FTP to be honest. Bar trying to maintain at least that, I've always just tried to bury myself for the 20 minutes rather than to use the target.

Well yes, clearly the target is based on current FTP. Trainerroad acknowledged as much in their response above...
    bren_mc wrote: »

For the 20-minute test, the target would be 5% higher than your FTP and on the 8-minute test your target will be 10% higher than your current FTP.

My point is though that if you use that target (indeed even if you raise your FTP by a couple of points with a view to achieving a new FTP), the target calculated by trainerroad will be too low (unless you have an FTP of 100 or less). For example my current FTP is 271. If I do a test, it will set the target at 276. If I complete the test and hit this target throughout, my new suggested FTP will be 257 (i.e. 276 * 0.95).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

Well yes, clearly the target is based on current FTP. Trainerroad acknowledged as much in their response above...

My point is though that if you use that target (indeed even if you raise your FTP by a couple of points with a view to achieving a new FTP), the target calculated by trainerroad will be too low (unless you have an FTP of 100 or less). For example my current FTP is 271. If I do a test, it will set the target at 276. If I complete the test and hit this target throughout, my new suggested FTP will be 257 (i.e. 276 * 0.95).

Targets in an FTP test are pretty useless IMO. You either start out too hard trying to stay on target power in which case you blow or you stay on target and push on in the last minute or so which means you haven't paced yourself correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

Ignore the targets. They are only a guide. Sometimes you hit the guide... sometimes the guide hits you ;) Assuming you are on an electronic trainer it swaps to slope/resistance mode at the start of each test block anyway so it's not locking you into a number. It's helpful to do some quick mental maths before it begins to get an idea of where you should be if you have done 2-5% increase since the last test.

Based on the email you got back from support the number wouldnt be right anyway (in that it's not really an advancement target). It would be the minimum you need to do to maintain your current ftp number.

On another note I have 4x free 1 month referrals for anyone who wants to test it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Paul_Mc1988

Bumping this on the off chance someone has a free trial. Looking for a structured plan as opposed to floating around as i do on zwift. Cheers

Bumping this on the off chance someone has a free trial. Looking for a structured plan as opposed to floating around as i do on zwift. Cheers

I should have. PM me your email address.

You can also do structured on zwift FYI.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Paul_Mc1988

PMed you there. Yeah but iv been reading and watching some great reviews about trainerroad so wanna give it a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭py

Anyone got any free trials to hand for TrainerRoad? Thanks.

I think I have 2 left.

Edit: Ok. Sent to PY. I have one month left for the next person who digs up this thread :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭py

Many thanks, worked a treat.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

bp_me wrote:
    Edit: Ok. Sent to PY. I have one month left for the next person who digs up this thread

Can I nab the remaining one?

Can I nab the remaining one?

Yup. Send me a PM with your name and email address.

• Advertisement

Kinda thinking aloud before I test it myself, but has anyone tried TrainerRoad with an Android TV Box? Got one for TV/ Music while doing sessions, but thinking it might be an option rather than the netbook in and out to the pain cave (and I don't really like the phone when trying to watch TV at the same time)? Also thinking ahead if/ when zwift launch on Android.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

bp_me wrote:
    Yup. Send me a PM with your name and email address.

Done.

Coming to the end of base phase. My plan is to do club (evening) leagues this year - so anyone any recommendations as to whether I should go Short Power Build or General Build (and then crit or rolling road race speciality)? From what I can work out the races wouldn't be crits in the strictest sense, but generally an hour or so in duration (handicapped start), which has me thinking short power then crit speciality.

I've never raced before, and have been concentrating on TT stuff since I started structured training. I've no real pretentions of doing anything but hanging on as long as possible in the races!

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭JimmiesRustled

Coming to the end of base phase. My plan is to do club (evening) leagues this year - so anyone any recommendations as to whether I should go Short Power Build or General Build (and then crit or rolling road race speciality)? From what I can work out the races wouldn't be crits in the strictest sense, but generally an hour or so in duration (handicapped start), which has me thinking short power then crit speciality.

I've never raced before, and have been concentrating on TT stuff since I started structured training. I've no real pretentions of doing anything but hanging on as long as possible in the races!

If its only club league stuff I'd look at short power build as club league is generally an hour or so worth of a race. Are you still doing TT's or just strictly looking at club league?

If its only club league stuff I'd look at short power build as club league is generally an hour or so worth of a race. Are you still doing TT's or just strictly looking at club league?
    The club leagues are the main priority this year. I'll be doing a handful of TT's/ Tris at most, so not gearing the training around them. I think/ hope the weekend spin will look after the endurance/ more steady state stuff side for TT's and sportives. Well enough for my goals in them anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭jntsnk

Send traineroad a message on Facebook. I did , got a great response, as I was wondering after base as well.

I'm looking General build then Rolling Road for the speciality phase for A3 racing this year as I'll need to be able to power up climbs to avoid being dropped.

I might as above drop them a mail and see what they recommend but hard to describe racing here to an American id say.

dahat wrote: »

I might as above drop them a mail and see what they recommend but hard to describe racing here to an American id say.

From listening the podcast it seems like the only difference is the opinion on what counts as a climb (hint... we dont have many).

Might try facebook, as I'm continually disappointed not to have my question read on the podcast...

In other news, anyone do the Ramp Test that they're testing to replace the 8 and 20 minute tests? Did it yesterday, albeit with tired legs after a hard club spin on Saturday, but haven't got the outcome yet. I feel I've fecked up the pacing of my last couple of 20 minute tests/ hit a mental barrier with them, so will be interested to see how it compares. They're also hinting that they'll be going more like a training peaks style, allowing you to upload outdoor rides and track total TSS within TrainerRoad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭JimmiesRustled

Might try facebook, as I'm continually disappointed not to have my question read on the podcast...

In other news, anyone do the Ramp Test that they're testing to replace the 8 and 20 minute tests? Did it yesterday, albeit with tired legs after a hard club spin on Saturday, but haven't got the outcome yet. I feel I've fecked up the pacing of my last couple of 20 minute tests/ hit a mental barrier with them, so will be interested to see how it compares. They're also hinting that they'll be going more like a training peaks style, allowing you to upload outdoor rides and track total TSS within TrainerRoad.

They've released a beta. It's free to sign up and download the beta version. I'm unsure what the changes are or if there are any.

Advertisement