Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Racing

• 19-02-2019 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭

Hi all, I’m looking to start racing cross country in the coming year. I’m surprised there are so few races, leagues and events in comparison to road racing. Why do ye think this is so? Is it an area of cycling that’s likely to grow?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭prunudo

nqtfarmer wrote: »
    Hi all, I’m looking to start racing cross country in the coming year. I’m surprised there are so few races, leagues and events in comparison to road racing. Why do ye think this is so? Is it an area of cycling that’s likely to grow?

What part of the country are you in? Saw a post on Facebook about a series called K cap cup. Racing in Kilruddery house Bray, Djouce and somewhere else which I can't remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭nqtfarmer

Living in Mitchelstown so the ballyhouras are on my door step. Surprised there isn’t a mad want for xc races around here. Road seems to dominate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

There's the biking blitz, Irish XC NPS and the Connacht MTB League wouldn't be a huge trek for you.

The reason it's not as popular as road is very simple.

Less people MTB.
    More restrictive as to where races can be held.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭nqtfarmer

Thanks all, I suppose I was hoping something more local but would love to to get into the sport. Come from a competitive rowing background and xc always appealed to me more than road

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Ballyhoura round of Biking Blitz is on this Sunday if you wanted to have a look ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭QueenMTBee

Did you contact any of the MTB clubs in your area? Most clubs hold some sort of league races during the spring/summer and you don't necessarily have to be a member of that club to join in. Off the top of my head, there's 021Racing (www.021racing.com) and MBCC (www.mbcc.ie).

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

XC (and Downhill) has been diminishing in popularity over the last few years as Enduro has grown in popularity. Hopefully with the addition of the K Capital Cup this year we might see a reversal of this trend.

XC courses, particularly in the NPS, can be very demanding technically and from a fitness point of view, which probably puts more casual MTBers off. The Biking Blitz is more beginner friendly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭boomdocker

jvan wrote: »
    What part of the country are you in? Saw a post on Facebook about a series called K cap cup. Racing in Kilruddery house Bray, Djouce and somewhere else which I can't remember.

The 'other' place is Bunclody, Co Wexford, race being run by Racing795
    Some of the best singletrack around - the race lap there will be approx 7.5km, most of which is singletrack
    7th April - don;t miss it ;)

The event will be Biking Blitz style with prob 1 lap for B riders and 2 for A's

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Shotgun Sister

I can't wait for the K Cap Cup! First race is next weekend (3rd) in Kilruddery. It's a great course, which you'd not be able to ride otherwise, so defo head along.

Haven't raced in Bunclody in years so really looking forward to getting back there too.

Advertisement